Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 05-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Slow Down - Big Brother is looking for ways to get you

Gizmodo - London Transport Authority To Test Tracking System That Stops Speeding FROM SPACE - Intelligent speed adaption
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Some of the comments are pretty good, I like the one about the guy needing an excuse for coating his car in tin foil...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

Yep- Put this on a bike. Guy or gal trying to pass a slow driver or take evasive action and suddenly the invisible hand of the Imperial Federal Gov't slows your maneuver. Instant death, lawsuits, and grieving families will result. Excellent choice of your tax payer money at work, huh?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

After a decade of attempts, the Stop Light Camera lobby has finally had their way in Florida. There was one State Senator who had blocked the bill in committee over the years, and he agreed. In a radio interview, he said that it was strictly a revenue issue. "I couldn't pressure my fellow Legislators to seek creative revenue sources in these difficult times and continue to block this bill. I am doing it only for the revenue. We do not believe it will improve safety or reduce accidents."

In fact, there is evidence that suggests that the best way to reduce accidents at intersections is to add 1 lousy second to the yellow light time. In study after study, this simple, virtually free remedy reduced accidents dramatically.

The price of infractions has gone through the roof here. Speeding tickets start at just under $250 for 1 to 14 miles over the limit. The next bump is just under $400. A seat belt or HOV type violation, which used to be non-points violations, now levy points and cost $248.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
12er
Founding Member

Here in ca they are getting creative with the fines. Court Fee's, processing fee's, ticket within the last 3 years fee, traffic school fee, traffic school itself. Cant wait to see what my ten over is going to run that I received two weeks ago.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Here in ca they are getting creative with the fines. Court Fee's, processing fee's, ticket within the last 3 years fee, traffic school fee, traffic school itself. Cant wait to see what my ten over is going to run that I received two weeks ago.

Lots..........

They're going nuts over this stuff alright..Remember that other guy from seattle, his name escapes me now but he got popped for doing a small wheelie on his SV.....he got kicked in the balls, dragged through the blackberries and dam* near stood against the wall and shot for reckless driving or stunting or something, whatever they could stick I guess...

What happened to making the punishment fit the crime or in his case, "percieved infraction", surely the fuzz has better things to do than pull this crap.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 05-12-2009 at 07:19 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
After a decade of attempts, the Stop Light Camera lobby has finally had their way in Florida. There was one State Senator who had blocked the bill in committee over the years, and he agreed. In a radio interview, he said that it was strictly a revenue issue. "I couldn't pressure my fellow Legislators to seek creative revenue sources in these difficult times and continue to block this bill. I am doing it only for the revenue. We do not believe it will improve safety or reduce accidents."

In fact, there is evidence that suggests that the best way to reduce accidents at intersections is to add 1 lousy second to the yellow light time. In study after study, this simple, virtually free remedy reduced accidents dramatically.

The price of infractions has gone through the roof here. Speeding tickets start at just under $250 for 1 to 14 miles over the limit. The next bump is just under $400. A seat belt or HOV type violation, which used to be non-points violations, now levy points and cost $248.
Oh Ken, how could you possibly believe that Govt's would conspire to extort more money out of its citizens?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

What we need to do to totally submit is to ban guns in the entire country, then cry for more police officers so we can be 'safe', and then with all those cops roaming around, we need them to ticket all traffic offenders and maximize the fines to justify their jobs. Sound familiar?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Weren't you guys just saying last week how great it was that Zero was going to "close loopholes" so that the govt could get more money? Since you think it's "fair" that Americans with foreign interest be taxed heavily I think it's only "fair" that you also be taxed more heavily too. And traffic violations are a good way to do it. I applaud the Florida legislature and their courage in raising fines so that the coffers of govt remain full, like you guys seem to approve of.

It's different when it's not someone else being soaked, isn't it?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Closing loopholes will make companies think twice about offshoring jobs. Giving people BS tickets and making everything a crime will eventually cause people to do crazy things. In Arizona a guy got shot and killed operating a speed camera van. You will see more and more of that in the future.