Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   Lightning Kills Motorcyclist (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/11694-lightning-kills-motorcyclist.html)

mscuddy 04-26-2009 10:17 AM

Lightning Kills Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Killed by Lightning While Riding Back From Charity Event

Sunday, April 26, 2009

LAWRENCE, Kan. — A 45-year-old Lawrence man was killed when he was hit by lightning as he was riding his motorcycle as storms swept through northeast Kansas.

Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig says the man was with six other motorcyclists who are members of the Bikers Against Child Abuse group. He was hit by lightning about 5 p.m. Saturday on U.S. 24 between Perry and Granville.

A man riding next to the victim was treated and released at a Topeka hospital. The other five members of the group were not injured.

Herrig says the motorcyclists were returning home after visiting some children they had helped in the past in their work against child abuse. He calls the man's death a "tragic, sad thing."

Dr_Sprocket 04-26-2009 05:23 PM

The moral of this story: When bad weather rolls in, take cover.
Sad news for this person, his family and friends. Sad news, indeed.

Kenneth_Moore 04-26-2009 05:58 PM

Bikers Against Child Abuse is an interesting group. Their website basically says their mission is to beat the crap out of anyone who abuses kids. I'm all in favor of beathing the crap out of anyone who abuses kids, but it sure seems like there's a lot of law-enforcement people who might get upset about the vigilante aspects of the club. The name kind of makes you wonder if there's another club of bikers for child abuse.

longride 04-27-2009 05:16 AM

Just goes to show ya that when your time is up it's up. God Speed to the dude that got done.

Buzglyd 04-27-2009 06:32 AM

I he had been on a nimble 600 sportbike he could have dodged that lightning due to superior brakes and handling overbuilt for the street.

pushrod 04-27-2009 07:26 AM

I was in Norfolk a few years ago, wasting some time at the BMW Dealership. One of their guys was loaded up and headed for VIR (IIRC) for a trackday his wife had bought him for a birthday present. Smiles all around, we all wished him a good time and a safe trip.

I left the shop, and found some dinner. Meanwhile the weather turned absolutely ugly.

Turned out the guy was about a half-hour down the road when he was struck by lightning. A guy coming the other way saw it happen. He said the fellow just sort of rode the bike off the road into the grass and fell over. I guess the good part is that he never knew what hit him.

As we say so often, you never know when your time is done, so live every day to the fullest.

Godspeed to him and his family.

Kenneth_Moore 04-27-2009 11:07 AM

Klazy Ken LLC announces their new:

"Lightning Deflector Helmet Upgrade Kit."

This simple, user-installed kit comes complete with self-tapping Helmet Lightning Diverter, frame grounding kit, and 30' of 18 guage stranded copper wire to drag behind the bike, providing a "zone of safety" for the rider and passenger.

Full refund to original purchaser if the unit fails to perform as advertised.

hardcorerider1 04-27-2009 01:14 PM

my heart goes out to all freinds and family as well to all of us extended to our family of riders it is always an un welcome loss when ever we lose a family member or a fellow rider a moment of silence for all though who have fallen ( S I L E N C E ) now to those of us who are still here live safe and ride hard and take every moment as if it may be your last