Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 04-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
It's pretty much what we do here. Motorcycles and hot topics keep things rolling. By the way, did you see how that Miss USA contestant lost the event because she had the audacity to say that she believed that marriage should be between a man and a woman? The gay judge then proceeded to call her a dumb biotch on his web site. Good thing there is such a tolerant attitude from the gay population toward opinions that don't agree with theirs.
Hah. That's not why she lost. She lost because #1 was really smokin' hot!

But, it's an interesting question to ask why there would be a gay judge at a women's beauty contest.

This too shall pass.

Last edited by seruzawa : 04-21-2009 at 09:02 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2009, 06:59 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
It's pretty much what we do here. Motorcycles and hot topics keep things rolling. By the way, did you see how that Miss USA contestant lost the event because she had the audacity to say that she believed that marriage should be between a man and a woman? The gay judge then proceeded to call her a dumb biotch on his web site. Good thing there is such a tolerant attitude from the gay population toward opinions that don't agree with theirs.
I love how the news kept reporting that her opinions were "controversial."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
"I despise the trend toward private schools, which only serve to further segregate our society by income. "

If your son went to the public schools I went to, you would have gotten him the hell out of there pronto. It's easy to stay when there aren't daily gang fights in 5th grade and kids aren't getting beat with baseball bats in the classroom, and the new kids that show up getting their ass beat the first day of class just because. I made sure my son and daughter didn't have to deal with that, and I would have done whatever it took to be sure of that.
I see your point, and I realize that I'm fortunate to have a public school available that isn't like the one you describe. If that was the situation at my son's school I woudlnt' send him there either. But if we give up on public schools, if we don't fix them and instead cordon ourselves off into private schools, or religious schools, or home schools, what does that lead to? Are we going to wind up driving armored Humvees out of our walled off neighborhoods to take our kids to walled-off "schools" with armed guards and razor wire? We can't turn our backs on each other and make America "every man for himself."
Old 04-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I see your point, and I realize that I'm fortunate to have a public school available that isn't like the one you describe. If that was the situation at my son's school I woudlnt' send him there either. But if we give up on public schools, if we don't fix them and instead cordon ourselves off into private schools, or religious schools, or home schools, what does that lead to? Are we going to wind up driving armored Humvees out of our walled off neighborhoods to take our kids to walled-off "schools" with armed guards and razor wire? We can't turn our backs on each other and make America "every man for himself."
I think you have fallen victim to the therapeutic state's false idea that somehow every child has to have the same education in the same school with the same dogma or the society will split into warring camps. There is no historical evidence to support such a contention.

This idea of public school socialization is pushed heavily but I think it's highly exagerrated in its importance. Home schooled kids go out and play with the public school kids in the afternoon anyhow. There's no evidence that such socialization has resulted in a more homogenous society even though public (or community) schools have educated the vast majority of children in America for centuries now. After all, once kids move into the workplace they will all be working together.

The school bureaucracies are going to push this agenda because they hate the thought of anyone escaping their particular indoctrination routine. In any case the parents have the right to determine their own children's education choices. I've seen no evidence that the people who run the public schools are any smarter than the parents or in many cases even care all that much about the children.

Barbara's description of the poison of Federal education dollars is spot on. Locally almost all that money is eaten up in compliance costs and the schools still can't afford text books. However they can afford a fleet of new cars every year and new hard wood office furniture for the administrators and new computers for the administrators and free homes for the school superintendents and free winter conferences for the administrators at Cancun.... but sorry, no text books this year......
Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Are we going to wind up driving armored Humvees out of our walled off neighborhoods to take our kids to walled-off "schools" with armed guards and razor wire? We can't turn our backs on each other and make America "every man for himself."

Ken, you have a very noble idea there, but when you are the one in daily fights and you are the one surrounded by criminals and druggies, the idea seems less than noble. Just check out he number of kids that were killed this year in Chicago Public schools. Terrible. War zones. I have answers, but most people would not like them. They go way beyond school and make people personally responsible for their actions. Those ideas are 'controversial', so I will just forget about them. I know what I did. I got my kids in a school where they didn't have to worry about getting the shyt kicked out of them. Makes it easier to learn I think.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #16
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I was one of the only white kids in my Jr. High from 1971 to 1973, and I had to fight my way to each period, on occasion kept a .357 Magnum in my locker, and rode a mini-bike to school, so I could escape the hordes of cholos who hung out by the bicycle racks after school, to extract "respect" from gavachos like me (had three chains with ARGUS locks to keep the Go Devil from being ripped off).

While I can't imagine any worse scenario for trying to learn something, instead of planning escape routes and dodging overlapping fields of lugies, I'm sure in the 30 or so years since then it's gotten completely out of control in the LAUSD.

Thomas Starr King Junior High school of hard knocks. It's different here in Burbank for my daughter though, the public school system harkens back to the 1950's, where you DON'T STEP OUT OF LINE without being puninshed big time.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #17
schizuki
Founding Member

The only people who support public schools and despise vouchers, private schools and homeschooling are people who didn't go to the schools that Mscuddy, Longride and I did. America ain't all a small town or suburb.

Liberalism is a luxury good. I couldn't afford it.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #18
Barbara
Super Moderator

Hi Guys,

Well, let's see. How to relay my thoughts---I went to both public and private schools. From 4th through 6th grade, I was in a Catholic school, and didn't really like it much, but I learned. I got to public school in the 7th grade--"Jr. High" in those days--and I didn't have to do much of anything for the whole year. We'd covered it already in the 6th grade, and I got really good grades that year.

I believe in public schools---insofar as they are the product of a community, and responsible to that community. Hoodlums who terrorize other kids need to be weeded out and (Sorry...) pitched on their butts, or inducted into the military. Teachers who can't teach should be encouraged to find a field in which they are more productive, and teachers who love their work and are good at it should be rewarded by the community they serve.

I like local control. I know that it might not be the solution for someplace like NYC or LA or Chicago. They'll have to find their own solutions, but for where I live, I think that local control of schools by an association of parents and teachers should really suffice. When we get politicians with their own agenda and enacting laws a couple of thousand miles away, then I begin to worry. Now, people may argue that with local control, local prejudices will be taught. I would suggest that we should give ourselves credit for being intelligent enough to deal with that. A pet peeve of mine is the notion that the Fed has to do things for us because we can't be trusted to do it for ourselves. In reality, the Fed exists only on our sufferance, and for our convenience--assuming that the Fed follows it's own Constitution. Whole other subject, and I don't really want to veer into national politics, but one affects the other.

I have faith in my neighbors. I think enough of them welcome legal immigrants, and people of other faiths, colors, whatever, that the schools would reflect a fairly healthy attitude. It may be simplistic, but I have more faith in my neighbors than in professional politicians.

Seems clear to me.....and since it does, someone tell me what I'm missing....

Britney the BSA
Big John the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Gemini the BSA/Triumph
Pip the Triumph T140v--(I have "Great Expectations")
The unnamed 1979 XS 650
Jaelith the '77 XS650/sidecar
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #19
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Seems clear to me.....and since it does, someone tell me what I'm missing....
You're not missing a thing. I'm going to channel Dennis Miller and say that I like the cut of your jib, Babs.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote