Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 04-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Weird Spring

So, I come back from vacation and Monday I'm bogged down. No time for the local boards. Yesterday I was able to get on Blokessportbike and found out that one of my friends (and customer) was killed on Hwy53 in Brasleton near Road Atlanta. Same 'ol story- "I didn't see him". Sadly the funeral was the same day I found out so I could attend because there wasn't enough time to make the 40 mile trip.
All this got me thinking about training. I've had 6 riders go down or be forcibly removed from their bikes in 2 weeks. In the last six weeks I've had about 18 total claims. Some stupid rider error or drops but most involved injuries.
Is it a training issue in part of these cases or is it "cage" drivers that need the education? When I was in Jamaica I noticed no less than 5 billboards along the route to Ocho Rios about motorcycle awareness. That was in a country that by all accounts is a 3rd world nation. Would those types of billboards be effective in the USA? Or would people ignore them and just pay attention to the t!ttie bar ads?
Just wondering your thoughts.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
mugwump58
Registered Member

Default Hey, let's be safe out there.

I dunno. I wear a class 2 level 2 safety vest, yes very ghey. 2 what the ****s in the past 1000 miles. How many people did go "Hey what the heck is that?" I again dunno.

Me being aware is what prevented the wtfs from becoming "Oh no" incidents.

At the end of last season I noticed that I was at risk in a car as well. People cocoon themselves in their automobiles. Sound deadened, stereophonic equipped with mobile phone communication and video screens in some of 'em. Not to mention kids, alcohol, drugs ect... It's a wonder we survive, maybe cars are too safe.

There is a traffic circle near work, there is an accident a day.

I don't think the signs would help. Tiered licensing would. Motorcycle license as a prerequisite for an automobile license
Old 04-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
mugwump58
Registered Member

Sorry but I just recalled... When I first got a bike my mother said to me that she suddenly noticed motorcycles. Undoubtably since I rode one. So there you go, my own mother.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Most mornings I take Florida's Turnpike about 10 miles North to Boca Raton and exit at a main East West street. I was sitting at the red light waiting to turn left; all traffic in front of me and behind me was stopped. The light turned green and I just started to roll forward when BAM! A lady in an SUV smashed me from behind hard enough to throw me against the seatbelt and then back against the seat. The bill for repair was over $5,000! The day before, I had been sitting at the same intersection at the same time on the bike. If the same thing had happened, I'd be showing up a Cuddy's for Corn Liquor and Opiates Rehab. Or the funeral home. How the hell does somebody smash a car that hard from a stop? She said "I was bending down to pick something off the floor and my foot slipped from the brake to the gas." Honestly, I don't think she has any idea what happened.

Now I'm sweating the whole "single Dad on a motorcycle" issue again. I sure wish his Mom was still around.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Barbara
Super Moderator

Hi Guys,

This always seems to be an issue. Speaking of not being aware---my son owns a tattoo shop and has--well, "had" a plate-glass front window. The other week an elderly gent pulled into the parking lot to turn around, his foot found the wrong pedal, and he backed right into my son's window, tearing out the whole thing and ruining the front wall.

OK, maybe I can see how the average idiot might miss a bike on the road, but---a whole building??

Hey, I have an idea! How about if, in order to get a license to drive a car, a driver has to take an MSF course on a bike? That might make them more aware of us......maybe.

I dunno---it's tough when one is invisible. Scary, too.

Britney the BSA
Big John the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Gemini the BSA/Triumph
Pip the Triumph T140v--(I have "Great Expectations")
The unnamed 1979 XS 650
Jaelith the '77 XS650/sidecar
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump58 View Post
There is a traffic circle near work, there is an accident a day.
I wonder, why-for is it, that in Amerika the roundabouts/traffic-circles give drivers such f'n fits? As I understand it, they're all-over the UK and W. Europe, and are seen as a safe, efficient alternative to a 4-way stop.

Then again, I see near-crashes almost every time I'm on a freeway due to people not being able to figure-out that "merge-lane thingie".

I don't believe that US drivers are really any worse than the Euros, but I will buy that they're impossibly Lazy and Selfish.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump58 View Post
Sorry but I just recalled... When I first got a bike my mother said to me that she suddenly noticed motorcycles. Undoubtedly since I rode one. So there you go, my own mother.
Yeah - same for me own Mum (and later me Mum-In-Law). She never noticed motos at all until I started trying to actually learn how to ride that murder-sickle, and would talk to her about things I had learned, and it became apparent I was "serious" about that "Riding thing" and it wasn't just some phase I was goin' through.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I wonder, why-for is it, that in Amerika the roundabouts/traffic-circles give drivers such f'n fits?
It's probably because "roundabout" sounds like some sort of sexual deviation.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

Nothing like approaching an English roundabout, at speed, on the Motorway (highway), in the rain, and chucking that bike LEFT!

OMFG!

Maybe just the shock keeps them all aware.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Now I'm sweating the whole "single Dad on a motorcycle" issue again. "

Just throw a can of that BARDAHL in the crankcase Ken and motor away happily. Unless you use it you might get the cold sweats at night!