Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #21
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

Making cars cars and not rolling entertainment capsules would go a long ways to safer driving.

Remove the 7 or 8 cupholders (Germans had a really hard time understanding why you would put a cup holder in a car, but they caved to the american consumer)
No dvd entertainment systems
no Ipod adapters
Some sort of cell blocking tech

Those are the 4 things that have almost gotten me killed by cage drivers the most.

That or hurry up with the Highspeed rail.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #22
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post

That or hurry up with the Highspeed rail.
In the '04 election, there was a referendum on the ballot in Florida to build a high-speed rail system from Miami to Tampa, across to Orlando and then up to Jacksonville and back down the coast to Miami. It passed with a huge margin. A few months later the Smart Bush announced it would be "tabled." If they'd build the damn thing people would use it; I know I would.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Making cars cars and not rolling entertainment capsules would go a long ways to safer driving.

Remove the 7 or 8 cupholders (Germans had a really hard time understanding why you would put a cup holder in a car, but they caved to the american consumer)
No dvd entertainment systems
no Ipod adapters
Some sort of cell blocking tech

Those are the 4 things that have almost gotten me killed by cage drivers the most.

That or hurry up with the Highspeed rail.
Apparently you missed the rail accident in SoCal a few months back when the train operator wrecked the train while texting.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #24
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

 
mscuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Next to my still checkin the temp.
Posts: 5,448
Default Uh oh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
In the '04 election, there was a referendum on the ballot in Florida to build a high-speed rail system from Miami to Tampa, across to Orlando and then up to Jacksonville and back down the coast to Miami. It passed with a huge margin. A few months later the Smart Bush announced it would be "tabled." If they'd build the damn thing people would use it; I know I would.
It's not as simple as it sounds, to have a high speed train, you need a high speed road bed & rails. Also all the crossings have to be retrofitted, and train traffic re-routed away from the existing righ-of-way, which is why the high speed rail in California will cost $55.00 one way from Los Angeles to Irvine (about 70 miles).

They might ride trains in Florida, but here in California you can't pry people out of their cages.
__________________
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #25
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
I tell you there shipmate, I always got the whim-whams when I went waaay below decks on that boat. Have to hand it to you guys. Once some purple shirt took me to the place where they store JP5, down in the bottom of the ship. It was like looking across an ocean.

The flight deck was a piece of cake compaired to all those ladders, pipes and tight machinery spaces.

I felt the same way about the Flight Deck, way too much going on for me. Once you get past the noise and the heat Engineering spaces were nice and cozy, I think I took you up in the uptakes a time or two, we had a couch and recliner up there we stole from a ready room, all we needed was a tall lamp and a TV to make an apt.

Once you learned your learned your way around from the hangerdeck down was a whole different world. I had a hard time even finding my way up to the flight deck let alone wanting to work up there.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Rail plans rely on localized population density. In some areas it makes perfect sense. In others it's a total waste. It'll work in the older vertical cities. In the newer cities made up largely of suburbs it is a complete waste of money. And it is not modifiable. If it is laid out improperly then you just wasted all that money.

They spent billions building a subway in LA. One time I flew there and went to the bus stop at the airport that goes to the subway. I looked at the rail plan and saw that the subway goes through some pretty high crime areas before it got near to where I needed to go. Then after getting there I would have had to carry my baggage for a couple miles or get a taxi (in LA on Sunday, ha!). Also I noticed a lot of gangster types standing around the bus stop. So I walked back to the terminal and rented a car. LOL!
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I felt the same way about the Flight Deck, way too much going on for me. Once you get past the noise and the heat Engineering spaces were nice and cozy, I think I took you up in the uptakes a time or two, we had a couch and recliner up there we stole from a ready room, all we needed was a tall lamp and a TV to make an apt.

Once you learned your learned your way around from the hangerdeck down was a whole different world. I had a hard time even finding my way up to the flight deck let alone wanting to work up there.
Flight decks, engineering spaces... all are pretty friendly compared to Isabella Cove on a pitch dark night on a 45ft gunboat. Of course the flight deck on a destroyer is about 25ft x 30ft. LOL!
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:07 PM   #28
schizuki
Founding Member
 
schizuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
If they'd build the damn thing people would use it; I know I would.
What are there more of - people who said they'd buy a Buell if it had a modern engine, and didn't, or people who rave about public transportation, and don't take it?

I grew up in the city. I took public transport until I was 22. Got a car for the winter and never set foot on a f***ing bus again. Don't tell me bull*** about efficiency when a twenty-minute car commute takes an hour and a half by bus or forty-five minutes by subway and bus transfer.

You know why public transport withered in favor of cars? It wasn't a vast Ford and Standard Oil conspiracy. It happened because cars are superior.

I've no doubt you're sincere that you would ride that train, since it probably would be convenient in your case. But I would bet a million dollars that the per-rider cost would blow away the amount spent per car passenger no matter how many expenses you added to the car equation.
__________________
Reverēre meam auctōritātem

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:18 AM   #29
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

"What are there more of - people who said they'd buy a Buell if it had a modern engine, and didn't, or people who rave about public transportation, and don't take it?"

Classic. The Chicago rail system can barely keep itself afloat. They are begging money from the state every year to keep from shutting down and raising the fees every year too. Ken can't see that the 'Smart Bush' doesn't want to pi$$ away millions on a system that won't even come close to paying for itself. Ken will ride it though, so to him, it needs to be built even if he is the only one that rides it.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
I grew up in the city. I took public transport until I was 22. Got a car for the winter and never set foot on a f***ing bus again. Don't tell me bull*** about efficiency when a twenty-minute car commute takes an hour and a half by bus or forty-five minutes by subway and bus transfer.
Funny you should mention that. My niece lives a 5 minute walk from a light rail terminal. And the place she works is only a couple minutes from another terminal. She tried it but drives now because it takes 20 minutes in her car and 1 1/2 hours on the rail. LOL!

The Utah Transit Authority is always crowing about what a success light rail is. However the number of public transit riders has gone DOWN. The UTA cut out a lot of bus lines and rerouted many to the light rail stations. So, while the rail trains are full a lot the numbers of people using public transit has dropped because the UTA made it even less convenient than it was. Then they run a lying scam to pretend that failure is success. Typical govt corruption.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off