Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Never forget the constantly increasing numbers of people on anti-depressants and other legal drugs that really screw up judgement and reasoning abilities.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Fenton
Founding Member

I've noticed an increase in motorcycle accidents here in Napa.
A friend threw his 1098s away on racer road(not a first for him), a young lady on her hd hit a car head-on while passing(double yellow+blind turn), a couple on their bmw hit a pick-up while it was turning left into a 7-11(the usual), a 48 year-old male new to riding failed to negotiate a turn on his hd (surprise), another friend tossed his cbr1000rr on turn 11 at thunderhill(180 hp+new to sportbike riding) and some young man speeding through a red light while being pursued, t-boned a car on his gsxr(squid)
So in the last month there has been one accident in Napa, that I know of, that was not directly related to the rider making a bad decision.(guess)
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #13
acecycleins
Founding Member

I found out today that the driver of the car that hit Dave claims Dave was passing a fellow rider and was over the centerline. It was a vintage 67 Firebird and no one in their right mind tries to trash a vintage car, but knowing Dave I don't believe he'd try for a pass on a roadway that is in constant contruction phase. Hell, I wouldn't try passing on that road anywhere between Hall, Barrow, or Clark counties. The sprawl out there has had road in construction mode for 5 yrs.
I really wish that the state would take some of the License class endorsement money and put up billboards on the "riders" roads. There are hundreds of miles of these roads but if you look at State and US hwys there are only about 12 that account for all those combine miles.
I really hope that Dave didn't have a brainfart and kill himself in this accident. I hate to blame another, but it's so unlike the guy I know to be reckless. RIP Dave. We'll miss you.

Last edited by acecycleins : 04-16-2009 at 02:03 PM.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Sorry to hear about your friend Dave. A '67 Firebird had drum brakes btw. A real terrible handling car. A GTO was worse.

It's all about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. That rule increases when there are more and more cars with more and more idiots behind the wheel(s).

Hell, with all the crazy stuff I've done on the street as a pre-teen-teenager-twenty something-thirty something, etc.etc. I should have been dead many times over. Same goes for riding dirt bikes. Nothing like being tapped in 5th on a 500cc MX bike doing well over 80, all it takes is one rock, log, twig, dune buggy and that's it. Game over. I've been lucky, still am, considering how much worse it could have been (think sub-acute, ventalator & a blank stare in a nursing home).

I thought I was too good to get it, but that nonsense was shattered like my 12th thorasic vertebre when that moron rear-ended me. It's the ones you don't see that get you (Like John Wayne said in "The Shootist").

I miss riding, but I wouldn't change anything, except maybe taking my truck the day I got nailed. But that's life.

It hurts like hell most days, but I'm still alive, and maybe too tough to die (for now anyway).

I just got a vintage test on a Puch 175 published in VMX mag in the next issue, so while I'm down, I'm not out. Not by a long shot.

And now I've got Barbara to pester with vintage BSA stories.....
Old 04-17-2009, 04:41 AM   #15
pplassm
Founding Member

I just lost two acquaintances (a friend and his wife) last week in a single-bike accident. They left behind a family to fend for themselves. It was a senseless crash.

Be careful out there.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #16
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Jeez Pete, this is an epidemic. There was this kid down the street who somehow got a 5 year old ZX-10 Kawi. He would zip up and down the street at well over 90 mph all the time.

Now he's gone, got nailed by a left turn moron on Burbank Blvd. I saw his bike in the back of his dad's truck, all smashed, with the front wheel tucked under the engine. I stopped to ask how he made it, his dad just shook his head "he didn't". Another kid who'll never grow up, never be cool.

Is there anything we can do about it? Scream to our traffic safety nazis to get the word out, an ad campaign? I'm going to try, I think they might listen to me...
Old 04-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #17
ejis
Founding Member

Is this Spring really that much worse than other years? A close friend of mine just lost his father in a car accident with an "erratic driver" who crossed a double yellow. Cops were even en-route to intercept the guy; unfortunately they didn't get there in time. And this was in a very small town - the two likely knew each other.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #18
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

After I got hit couple of years ago I replaced my damaged JR Ballistic suit with a HI Viz Aerostitch one and I ride ATGMTT...... other than that f*ck it I'm not going to stop riding, it's a risk I'm willing to take. Since I was 17 I've worked around high pressure steam, asbestos, high voltage electricity up to 13.8k volts, up on ladders, inside confined spaces, around pulverized coal dust and fly ash, high pressure natural gas, pressureized 200 degree fuel oil, I've cleaned out coal bunkers, cleaned inside fuel tanks with a resporator etc......

Riding motorcycles is probably one of the safer things I do really, I don't give it much thought. If it's my time it's my time, I could be in a car, on a bike, in the shower........hell i could choke on a f*ckin hot dog in my back yard, you never know. I chose not to live in fear and I have a good life insurance policy that will hopefully take care of my kids when my numbers up.

Other than that I quote a line from one of my favorite movies .....

" The all-father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed, fear profits a man nothing"

Pretty sound advice I think.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
... left behind a family to fend for themselves...
This troubles me every day...even when I take the cage.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #20
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I tell you there shipmate, I always got the whim-whams when I went waaay below decks on that boat. Have to hand it to you guys. Once some purple shirt took me to the place where they store JP5, down in the bottom of the ship. It was like looking across an ocean.

The flight deck was a piece of cake compaired to all those ladders, pipes and tight machinery spaces.