Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #21
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"Your real science is my quackery....."

Only the "Global Warming" quackery is the biggest and best lie since Hitler "proved" the Jews were an inferior 'race'.
NOT a comment on GW, but, this is interesting:

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 03-16-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #22
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
NOT a comment on GW, but, this is interesting:

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hey Ken! Where are the pics of the race? Might be running down to Port Saint Lucie in a few weeks. If I do, wanna meet somewhere and grab some food and a beer?
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #23
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Hey Ken! Where are the pics of the race? Might be running down to Port Saint Lucie in a few weeks. If I do, wanna meet somewhere and grab some food and a beer?
I posted some track photos, but they're the digital equivalent of a 110 film...not much.

PSL is about 80 miles North, do-able. Email details when you have them.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

More interesting info:

The Spectator
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #25
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

All I'm saying is that we DO have an impact. Whether were cooling or warming I have no idea on who's conclusions are correct, not my line of expertise. But we are changing things and quickly. Forests are being clearcut at a record pace, I'd guess 2/3's of the worlds population is still using wood for heat, light and cooking. Add in millions of vehicles and Coal fired plants (were getting china's smog in ca now) and millions of tons of greenhouse gasses are being pumped out daily. There are only a few miles of effective atmosphere around our planet.

What we do;

when weather is nice we ride our bikes to the train to get to work (well until mine was stolen, cut my kryptonite motorcycle chain)
We take canvas bags shopping
we take the bike on longer trips if possible (40mph vs 20mpg in the car)
I insulated and update the wiring in my house
we have a programmable therm on the heat and air (set at 65 winter for 5.5 hours a day, 55 late night and when away, air at 75 / 80).
have flouresents bulbs (though the mercury when they break is nice...)
turn off as much as possible when at home
keep the blinds closed when not using windows for light
do full loads of laundry in the evenings
if its brown flush it down, if its yellow let it mellow.
killed off my lawn
Sort our trash and recycle all we can (though due to the economy recycling companies are storing everything now as nobody is buying)
try not to buy cr@p in wasteful packaging.
try not to buy cr@p in general
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #26
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
All I'm saying is that we DO have an impact. Whether were cooling or warming I have no idea on who's conclusions are correct, not my line of expertise. But we are changing things and quickly. Forests are being clearcut at a record pace, I'd guess 2/3's of the worlds population is still using wood for heat, light and cooking. Add in millions of vehicles and Coal fired plants (were getting china's smog in ca now) and millions of tons of greenhouse gasses are being pumped out daily. There are only a few miles of effective atmosphere around our planet.

What we do;

when weather is nice we ride our bikes to the train to get to work (well until mine was stolen, cut my kryptonite motorcycle chain)
We take canvas bags shopping
we take the bike on longer trips if possible (40mph vs 20mpg in the car)
I insulated and update the wiring in my house
we have a programmable therm on the heat and air (set at 65 winter for 5.5 hours a day, 55 late night and when away, air at 75 / 80).
have flouresents bulbs (though the mercury when they break is nice...)
turn off as much as possible when at home
keep the blinds closed when not using windows for light
do full loads of laundry in the evenings
if its brown flush it down, if its yellow let it mellow.
killed off my lawn
Sort our trash and recycle all we can (though due to the economy recycling companies are storing everything now as nobody is buying)
try not to buy cr@p in wasteful packaging.
try not to buy cr@p in general
"Forests are being clearcut at a record pace"
Gee, I hope you don't live in a residence that was built recently. If so, then you are part of the problem. Not me, though, as my stone farmhouse was built in 1741 and used field stone from the very property it was built on.

"if its brown flush it down, if its yellow let it mellow."
Wow, sounds like you are using wasteful city water and septic. Not me.


"we have a programmable therm on the heat and air (set at 65 winter for 5.5 hours a day, 55 late night and when away, air at 75 / 80)."
My, my my, that is wasteful. Ours is set at 55 during the day and 45 at night and we have no central air.

"when weather is nice we ride our bikes to the train to get to work"
When the weather is nice? Environmentalism is not about convenience. You can't just choose to hurt the earth more on some days when you can't be bothered. Besides, I have worked from home for six years. I do not take part in any wasteful commuting that produces earth choking smog.

"killed off my lawn"/"We take canvas bags shopping"
What about a compost heap? Organic garden? We do both. And you go to a supermarket for shopping?! Where everything is shipped in?! How wasteful. We buy all of our produce from local growers or grow it our self. All of our meat is locally produced, also.

What is the point of all of this? The point is that no matter what you do to "do your part" some pompous d!ck can make it look like you are a piece of sh!t for not doing enough. Yes, my wife and I do all of the above mentioned things. We primarily do it to as a hobby but also to save money. Just because we don't believe in Global Warming doesn't mean we are setting forest fires and smothering forest animals in their sleep.

No one here wants to kill nature and make our world a smoldering dung pile, but that doesn't mean some of us are willing to believe that Global Warming exists by those that profit from it and that are far more wasteful than you and I will ever be.

Last edited by BrowningBAR : 03-16-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Good god, did I have a stroke or something. I can't spell.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #27
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Discovery Channel is doing a special Wednesday night on climate change. I'm going to watch it critically; looking for evidence versus hype, emotion versus science, interest versus objectivity.

It's astounding that there isn't consensus on topics as simple as if the oceans are getting warming or colder. The one thing I'm sure of: I don't know enough about climate change.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #28
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

I am for single payer health care. Blue cross here in ca was just purchased by a for profit insurance company and they doubled the rates. You and I walking across the street, both of us are hit by a car. I have insurance, you dont. We both have the same physical problems. My insurance is billed the same thing you are, only they pay half and the hospital is fine with that. But you will get the entire bill, does that sound right? Other than that keep the gov out of it...

I just went to the Dr. today for the first time in two years. My new policy doubled my copays and my pharm pays more than doubled.


Hey Ace, as an insurance insider and a conservative I'd love to hear your input on for profit health insurance.

Last edited by 12er : 03-16-2009 at 08:22 PM.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #29
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

"No one here wants to kill nature and make our world a smoldering dung pile, but that doesn't mean some of us are willing to believe that Global Warming exists by those that profit from it and that are far more wasteful than you and I will ever be."

I'm with you, my only arguement is when we replace one gas with another, things will change. When we cut down our air filters and spew smoke instead, things will change. And who's to say we havent done this multiple times to ourselves over human history. It only takes one or two generations to lose all knowledge. Now that were going digital we can lose it even faster. An EMP from the sun and presto, all electronics are dead and the knowledge contained within. Just think what was lost in the library of Alexandria. Or when the missionaries converted native peoples to christianity and had them destroy their native ways. Losing all herbal remedies they have relied on for centuries. The more we keep digging around the world the more stuff were finding. Like the amazon being crisscrossed with ancient canals. Knowing our propensity to not learn from the past we'll continue to travel the same paths. The thing that scares me is the existence of the "Seed bank" buried up north deep down in the permafrost. What do they know that we dont?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #30
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

Just to clarify our positions, are we arguing that there is no way Man can alter the earths atmosphere or you believe we can but dont believe the conclusions of so called "warmers?"

I'm not defending conclusions, just the possiblity* that we are significantly effecting...

* replaced the word fact with possibility
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off