Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 03-08-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Daytona!

I will give you guys the details of all the fun things I did in Daytona as soon as my wife Jen tells me what they were. I teamed up with my buddies Jack and Jose, and I can't remember a thing! I'm sure I had a great time though!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Did you ride the Knckle? Trailer it? Use up the worlds supply of bailing wire and 60 wt oli on the way? Give us the whole fetid story, pics included please (no boob flashes from 80 year old miraculos muthas though...)

Rat on LR.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Some Impressions; Photos of Daytona

LR, sorry I missed you again! We got in town Friday; came back Saturday Night. So, this wasn't "Bike Week" this year, sort of "Bike Weekend."

This year was at the track. I've seen the parade of yahoos on cruisers on Main St. enough times over the years. I'll admit,the female scenery is always excellent, but when you're hanging with your 10 year old son, the logistics and endgame change. Definitely not a Destination Daytona year; probably never will be again unless I get back into Harley. Which may happen, who knows.

But, we had an excellent time at the track. It's really interesting to go through the vendor displays. Not only do you get a lot of insight into what we read about here at MO or the print mags, but's also cool to compare the manufacturers and see what they're up to. Photos of the key sights below.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the 200 was the best in years. Yes, there was the goof up with the lights and the restart, but the Friday night concept; racing under the lights, is clearly a winner. Comparing the teams and seeing who's putting what effort (and money) into their racing is revealing.

Yamaha was there in force. Their pit setup looked like and FI scene, giant data aquisition screens, lots of staff, bikes stacked like towels at the pool. No doubt they had the biggest investment. Kawi came in a close second, pretty impressive. The rest; well, there were the privateers and some of the factory teams looked to be at the same level. There were two Buells pits; one by Rossmeyer that looked like they may have a future if they keep at it, and what I guess was a privateer effort. Suzuki and Ducati were there, but barely. Aprillia had a bike, but we didn't hear much about them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01682.JPG (198.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01689.JPG (177.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01691.JPG (149.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01692.JPG (181.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Ducati

Ducatista. Or is it "Ducatisti" for the plural. All the attitude of HD, better clothes, less noise. And some very nice bikes! Motards were everywhere; the Stradas had a presence, and the Super Sports were there. But Ducati marketing is about money; they park million dollar Bugatis along with the bikes to make that extra 30% in price seem sensible. The greeter babes were as good as they get. I mentioned I'd be posting their photo on Motorcycle.com. They asked for my business card! Mr. Duke, I'm volunteering for freelance duty. I'll print up the cards, no need to send any out.

I'm not buying one of their new bikes anytime soon, so I took some shots of the classics. Good stuff; Ducs age well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01612.JPG (223.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01613.JPG (223.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01614.JPG (212.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01617.JPG (220.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01615.JPG (205.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Kawasaki!

They do a great job with their shows. They have a great staff of friendly people, there's organized stuff going on like autographs, they have cool customs bikes, and my favorite, the cutaway 600 seen here in Mr. Duke's article on his visit to Japan. I like Kawasaki. They had a heap o' Versysesyseys. Versi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01628.JPG (235.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01632.JPG (209.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01629.JPG (229.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 03-08-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Yamawho?

Yamaha had a huge display of all kinds of stuff, but it must have been robotic because there weren't any Yamaha people there. Fun stuff to look at, but I swear I could have rolled away one of the many VMaxes and never been noticed. My kid liked it cause he thinks the R5 I'm restoring is for him. Heh heh heh. The little "Star" bobber was way cool. I wonder if you could bob a 350 2smoke...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01636.JPG (196.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01640.JPG (222.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01639.JPG (188.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 03-08-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default S00znuki

Busas, "Boulevards" (what a dumb name), Gixxers. Tell you one thing I found interesting, there were more people looking at the VStroms than just about anything else. And no, I'm not saying it because I ride one. In fact, last year was my first Bike Week on the DL, and I saw 3 Stroms. This year they were all over the place! I think they're riding the BMW GS coattails, they way Kawi hopes to with the Versys. The Gladius: neato mosquito. Still hate the name, but very nice bike. Call me when you put the 1000 engine in it, I'll be right over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01645.JPG (216.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01646.JPG (199.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01642.JPG (217.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 03-08-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Odds N Ends

Always some weird stuff to look at aside from the attendees. Like the motorcycle welded to a shark cage with wheels. And the $50k Can Am Spyders with fiberglass bodies.... "T-Rex?" T-Boner would be more like it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01649.JPG (227.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01651.JPG (212.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01655.JPG (237.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Honda! Saving the Best for Last!

A real motorcycle company. The envy of the industry. A force in the world of two wheels that cannot be ignored.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01686.JPG (156.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01687.JPG (169.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01684.JPG (157.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Thanks for the pics!

Great pics, Ken! Makes me feel just like I was there. That Yamaha V-Max motor makes me drool.

BTW, what's up with Honda? They must be seriously hurtin' due to the economy. It's almost like they lost the truck with the bikes and the road manager said, "Quick! Go get me something with the Honda name on it. I don't care - anything!"