Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 03-09-2009, 04:09 AM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

Hey Ken, what's that green Suzuki based on? Gladius? Versys?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #12
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Great pics, Ken! Makes me feel just like I was there. That Yamaha V-Max motor makes me drool.

BTW, what's up with Honda? They must be seriously hurtin' due to the economy. It's almost like they lost the truck with the bikes and the road manager said, "Quick! Go get me something with the Honda name on it. I don't care - anything!"
They had bikes there, but they make you schlep through the weed whacker and generator displays to see them. So, it that's where their priority is, who am I to argue?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #13
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

re-f***ing-tarded
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #14
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Hey Ken, what's that green Suzuki based on? Gladius? Versys?

Thanks.
That's the Gladius. It's stock as far as I know, except for the paint. There were a couple others there; they really are cool. A standard with some motard stirred in, and a hint of sportbike. I like the trellis frame and overall "industrial" look of it. Gladius....sigh...
Old 03-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #15
pushrod
Founding Member

Ken!

Buddy!

No Triumph pictures!?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #16
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
re-f***ing-tarded
Yeah, it really is. There was a whole fleet of these guys with custom swingarms that have jackshafts to make the giant rear tires work. You probably remember the solution Big Dog came up with for their bikes before the right hand drive engines came along: primary chain to a swingarm mounted sprocket on a shaft, which then extended out far enough to line up with the rear sprocket. Even if it looked good (it doesn't) there must be a pretty big penalty in performance to have that whole second drivetrain soaking up power.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Yeah, it really is. There was a whole fleet of these guys with custom swingarms that have jackshafts to make the giant rear tires work. You probably remember the solution Big Dog came up with for their bikes before the right hand drive engines came along: primary chain to a swingarm mounted sprocket on a shaft, which then extended out far enough to line up with the rear sprocket. Even if it looked good (it doesn't) there must be a pretty big penalty in performance to have that whole second drivetrain soaking up power.
That's nice. Do you know WHY these people do this? Is it supposed to provide some sort of advantage? Looks really really stupid.

I guess the sportbike crowd can stop criticizing the mote in the chopper crowd's eye now.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #18
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
That's nice. Do you know WHY these people do this? Is it supposed to provide some sort of advantage? Looks really really stupid.

I guess the sportbike crowd can stop criticizing the mote in the chopper crowd's eye now.

Some "name" did it and said it was cool like a drag bike, the lemmings wanted one so they could be cool too and presto, a fad is born.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Here's how it works:

1) Chopper guys buys a spindly, bad handling POS and spends wads of cash on hipo engine parts and aluminum and carbon fiber to make it faster and lighter.

2) Sportbike guy buys great handling fast sportbike and spends wads of cash making it longer and crappy handling and heavier due to larding it up with chrome.

Kapisch?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #20
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
At least with the "choppers" and "custom" cruisers the point of a cruiser was never performance, but looks...for the most part.

Doing the same dumbass things with a sport bike makes it even dumber.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote