Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 02-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #21
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

McCain also had his share of "We need sensible gun control" quotes. He also had a few negative things to say about "high-powered assault rifles" (whatever the f**k that is). So a vote for him wasn't exactly a guarantee your gun rights would stay in place.

I just can't muster up the anger towards it anymore. Let's get the sh!t train moving and get to the end results. Either we all bow to total government control or the unrest begins.

I've got my money riding on the fact everyone will just keep taking it until it is far too late.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #22
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"Of course. He has his lackeys to do his dirty work for him. This way he gets what he wants while pretending that it wasn't his doing"

I already said that but it was certainly worth repeating. Just look at how his lackeys worked the Blago mess. All behind the scenes. He learned every trick in the book from Daley.
You aren't taking your own bet, are you? I'll put up the Shoei for a can of beer.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The bet is still there. You keep modifying it. Your boy will be the most anti-gun president in the history of the US. Your bullshyt symantics wont' change that fact. You still didn't answer my question. Do you feel that an 'assault weapons' ban is needed? Yes or No Ken.

Last edited by longride : 02-21-2009 at 09:50 AM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

John McCain on Gun Control
Republican nominee for President; Senior Senator (AZ)

I know how to use guns; but I don’t own one
Q: Tell us about your gun collection, roughly how many you own, what your favorite make, model and caliber is, if any of them require a tax stamp?
A: For a long time I used a lot of guns, including carrying a .45 as a pilot flying in combat over Vietnam. I know how to use guns. I don’t own one now.

Source: 2007 GOP YouTube debate in St. Petersburg, Florida Nov 28, 2007

Prosecute criminals, not citizens for gun ownership
John McCain believes that the right of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is a fundamental, individual Constitutional right. We have a responsibility to ensure that criminals who violate the law are prosecuted to the fullest, rather than restricting the rights of law abiding citizens. Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals--criminals who ignore gun control laws anyway.
Source: Campaign website, McCain-Palin 2008, “Issues” Sep 1, 2007

Don’t hold gun manufacturers liable for crimes
John McCain opposes backdoor attempts to restrict Second Amendment rights by holding gun manufacturers liable for crimes committed by third parties using a firearm, and has voted to protect gun manufacturers from such inappropriate liability aimed at bankrupting the entire gun industry. McCain says, “Neither justice nor domestic peace are served by holding the innocent responsible for the acts of the criminal.”

Opposes restrictions on assault weapons and ammunition types
McCain opposes restrictions on so-called “assault rifles” and voted consistently against such bans.
McCain opposes bans on the importation of certain types of ammunition magazines and has voted against such limitations.
McCain believes that banning ammunition is just another way to undermine Second Amendment rights. He voted against an amendment that would have banned many of the most commonly used hunting cartridges on the spurious grounds that they were “armor-piercing.”

Calls for GOP “tolerance” of closing gun show loopholes
A recall petition drive was started in June 2001 by the Arizona far right. The petition complained that McCain was disloyal to the President, especially in voting against his tax bill, and it also complained about his proposal to close the gun show loophole. One form of the petition accused him of backing “dishonest and treasonist” legislation. Several of the petitions were posted at gun shops.
The NRA was particularly angry with him for its being included in his campaign finance reform bill, and for trying to tighten a loophole in the gun control laws. McCain himself was sufficiently concerned that he sent a 4-page, single-spaced letter to every GOP precinct leader in Arizona. He called for “greater tolerance” for Republicans “who occasionally dissent” from one or another majority position held by a party. He explained his vote against Bush’s tax cut and talked about the need to build up national defense, about his work on the patients’ bill of rights, and the gun show loophole.

Source: Citizen McCain, by Elizabeth Drew, p. 78-79 May 7, 2002

Ban cheap guns; require safety locks; for gun show checks
McCain favors outlawing cheaply made handguns called Saturday night specials, and favors mandating safety locks on certain guns. He said he is intrigued by new technology that electronically identifies a person handling a gun, allowing only the owner to fire it. McCain rallied Senate Republicans behind a Democratic measure requiring background checks at gun shows.
Source: Scott Lindlaw, Associated Press Aug 17, 1999

Supports ban on certain assault weapons
McCain said he was open to voting for an assault weapon ban, depending on the details.
Source: Los Angeles Times, “McCain Calls for Hearings” Aug 17, 1999

Voted against Brady Bill & assault weapon ban
McCain spoke generally of the need for some tighter gun controls on hardened criminals and children. In Congress, he pressured his colleagues to require background checks for buyers at guns shows, and he supported a requirement that trigger locks be sold with handguns. But the Senator opposed the two major gun-control measures of recent years, the 1994 ban on several types of assault weapons and the Brady Bill, which required a 5-day waiting period for handgun purchases.
Source: Todd S. Purdum, New York Times, p. A14 Aug 17, 1999

Guns are a problem, but so are violent web sites & videos
If you want to take every gun in and dump it in the ocean, I’ll still take you to a Web site where it teaches children how to build a pipe bomb. And I’ll take you to a Web site where the worst kind of hate language that is terribly offensive to all of us exists. I can take you to a video game being sold to our children where the object of the game is to kill police. I understand the importance of weapons, but to define that as being the major cause [of youth violence], there’s a whole lot of causes.
Source: Todd S. Purdum, New York Times, p. A14 Aug 17, 1999

Punish criminals who abuse 2nd Amendment rights
We need to focus on halting the spread of violent crime and punishing violent criminals who abuse their Second Amendment rights, while preserving those same rights for law-abiding Americans.
Source: mccain2000.com “Press Releases” May 10, 1999

Youth Violence Prevention Act restricts guns for kids
McCain has introduced the “Youth Violence Prevention Act.”
The legislation would:
prevent juveniles from illegal access to weapons and punish those who would assist them in doing so
prohibit juveniles who commit acts of gun violence from purchasing guns in the future
sentence juveniles convicted of violent crimes under adult guidelines
and punish juveniles who illegally carry or use handguns in schools.
Source: mccain2000.com “Press Releases” May 10, 1999

Repeal existing gun restrictions; penalize criminal use
McCain supports the following principles regarding gun issues:
Repeal federal restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms by law-abiding citizens.
Favor allowing citizens to carry concealed firearms.
McCain says, “There are penalties for criminals who use firearms.”
Source: Project Vote Smart, 1998, Project Vote Smart - American Government, Elections, Candidates and Voting Jul 2, 1998

Voted YES on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers.
A bill to prohibit civil liability actions from being brought or continued against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or importers of firearms or ammunition for damages, injunctive or other relief resulting from the misuse of their products by others. Voting YES would:
Exempt lawsuits brought against individuals who knowingly transfer a firearm that will be used to commit a violent or drug-trafficking crime
Exempt lawsuits against actions that result in death, physical injury or property damage due solely to a product defect
Call for the dismissal of all qualified civil liability actions pending on the date of enactment by the court in which the action was brought
Prohibit the manufacture, import, sale or delivery of armor piercing ammunition, and sets a minimum prison term of 15 years for violations
Require all licensed importers, manufacturers and dealers who engage in the transfer of handguns to provide secure gun storage or safety devices
Reference: Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act; Bill S 397 ; vote number 2005-219 on Jul 29, 2005

Looks quite a bit different from Obamlama's record to me.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #25
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
The bet is still there. You keep modifying it. Your boy will be the most anti-gun president in the history of the US. Your bullshyt symantics wont' change that fact. You still didn't answer my question. Do you feel that an 'assault weapons' ban is needed? Yes or No Ken.
You're on a rant about Obama being anti-gun. I said he won't push for anti-gun legislation. Bet 2, Shoei for beer. We're on.

No, I don't think we need an assault weapons ban. I told you'd I'd changed my mind about that some time ago in a discussion about PMC's.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"You're on a rant about Obama being anti-gun."

Gee, I didn't know posting damning facts about Obama's clear and consistant anti-gun stance and voting record is a 'rant'. Is that what the truth is called these days?

"I said he won't push for anti-gun legislation."

What does that mean? How about he won't sign any anti-gun legistation. I'll bet you everything you own on that.

So we used to need an assault weapons ban, but now we don't? So when Obama signs into law a new assault weapons ban, do I win?

Last edited by longride : 02-21-2009 at 12:32 PM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #27
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

You can throw all the quotes you want at me. I had to deal with him when I lived in AZ. He pissed off the gun owners by making stupid statements a few times and his "commercial" that ran before movies asking for support on "sensible gun legislation" didn't go over well, either.

I put no stock in what Obama say, but McCain has a tendency to "get a touch of crazy" and completely change direction on a topic. Which I watched him do on several occasions.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
You can throw all the quotes you want at me. I had to deal with him when I lived in AZ. He pissed off the gun owners by making stupid statements a few times and his "commercial" that ran before movies asking for support on "sensible gun legislation" didn't go over well, either.

I put no stock in what Obama say, but McCain has a tendency to "get a touch of crazy" and completely change direction on a topic. Which I watched him do on several occasions.
Ha! McCain only won the nomination because a lot of liberals in the northeast voted for him in the open primaries. McCain has a lifetime voting record that is about 75% conservative. He's also a somewhat of a budget hawk. He says a lot of liberal things but his voting record speaks for itself... as does Obama's. Even at his flip flopping worst McCain isn't nearly as bad as say John Kerry. Or Bill clinton.

The US Communist Party announced that it would not run a candidate this time because the Democrats have accepted the nearly entire Communist Party platform. That should settle the question, no matter how much sophistry the lefties try to spew.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #29
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"You can throw all the quotes you want at me."

Ain't just quotes. Voting records are there. Like night and day.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #30
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Obama warns mayors not to waste stimulus money

Baaaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I think this is a bad joke!
The Quirkiness of the forum is really beginning to piss me off. I can no longer see the additional posts from Longride or Seruzawa.