Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   Loonies on parade (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/10560-loonies-parade.html)

seruzawa 02-01-2009 10:25 AM

Loonies on parade

newagetwotone 02-01-2009 10:28 AM

Why can't they just float away already?

Sorry to you guys in the peoples... no wait, the tree huggers republic of kalifornia but this is absurd BS. No smoking, regulation of vehicles more than any other state, control of peoples life in full. What a bunch of tools.

Dr_Sprocket 02-01-2009 10:52 AM

Yeah. I understand power usage is a serious issue, but c'mon! I read today that activists are trying to ban horse carriage rides in NYC's Central Park.

I have an idea! Let's ban the cars, TV's and horses. Then, we'll all be able to walk to the grocery store. Wait! Where did all the food go? Sorry, gonna have to walk to Florida for those tomatoes.

BrowningBAR 02-01-2009 04:16 PM

The truly funny part of all of this? LCD screens use about 60% less energy than CRT monitors. But, let's not let details get in the way.

More "For the Sake of The Planet":
Two children should be limit, says green guru - Times Online

...keep in mind I do not have children.

MOKE1K 02-01-2009 04:17 PM

Seems like the 130 that its going to cost the state would offset the need to do this sort of thing? Doesn't make sence to me. Iam all for conserving energy but if its going to cost that much you've got to be asking yourself, is it worth it?

sarnali2 02-01-2009 09:13 PM

these would be the same idiots who want to tear down dam's, shut down nuclear power plants and halt all coal fired power plant construction then have everyone drive plug in electric cars.

The_AirHawk 02-01-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Two children should be limit, says green guru - Times Online

The Optimum Population Trust, a campaign group of which Porritt is a patron, says each baby born in Britain will, during his or her lifetime, burn carbon roughly equivalent to 2½ acres of old-growth oak woodland - an area the size of Trafalgar Square.

Uh, no it isn't. I own two acres, and I've seen pictures of Trafalgar Square - the Square is about 3-4 times the size of my place. Mebbe they just mean the area immediately around the fountain in the center? I dunno.

Also, as "Old Growth Forest" is not nearly as densely wooded as the way they plant trees nowadays - 2-1/2 acres couldn't be more than 60-80 trees. When you have over 15-20 "naturally caused forest fires" that destroy 75,000-odd (or more) acres per fire each year in the US alone, that kinda makes this "carbon footprint" thing out to be complete and utter bullshyte.

Forget completely the fact that the average active Volcano (452 Volcanoes in the "Ring of Fire", but not all are active, of course) emits about 3-times Mankind's entire "carbon emissions" each year...........

BrowningBAR 02-01-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 203162)
these would be the same idiots who want to tear down dam's, shut down nuclear power plants and halt all coal fired power plant construction then have everyone drive plug in electric cars.

Unfortunately there would be no way to recharge those electric cars as the vast majority of electricity comes from coal.

BrowningBAR 02-01-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 203165)
Uh, no it isn't. I own two acres, and I've seen pictures of Trafalgar Square - the Square is about 3-4 times the size of my place. Mebbe they just mean the area immediately around the fountain in the center? I dunno.

Also, as "Old Growth Forest" is not nearly as densely wooded as the way they plant trees nowadays - 2-1/2 acres couldn't be more than 60-80 trees. When you have over 15-20 "naturally caused forest fires" that destroy 75,000-odd (or more) acres per fire each year in the US alone, that kinda makes this "carbon footprint" thing out to be complete and utter bullshyte.

Forget completely the fact that the average active Volcano (452 Volcanoes in the "Ring of Fire", but not all are active, of course) emits about 3-times Mankind's entire "carbon emissions" each year...........

As I have been told many times; since you are not a scientist you are not qualified to comment on such things. Except it as fact and conform. Otherwise you will be given the Shirt Of Stupidity which will allow others to instantly know that you are dumb.

The_AirHawk 02-01-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 203167)
Unfortunately there would be no way to recharge those electric cars as the vast majority of electricity comes from coal.

I work within sight of a Coal-electric plant. Literally, I can walk outside, look North and see the stack 6 miles away, night or day. Seldom do I see any emissions - when I do, it is merely WATER VAPOUR (can only see it when the moisture in the air and the temp is JUST right). The plant is surrounded by an apparently thriving forest - the lake they use to cool their condensers is absolutely teeming with fish - many State Record fish have been taken from its waters. It is a favoured place for Bald Eagles to Winter - I see these majestic, breathtaking birds several times a week. I have a few pictures of two of them perched in a tall tree across from my Mill, watching me, watching them.

Yes, terrible blot upon the face of the Planet, those coal-fired plants (the two fly-ash bin accidents in TN last month notwithstanding). Just like using Anhydrous Ammonia for Refrigeration - all these dangerous killers should be banned and destroyed, and the people who operate them tried and summarily executed.

/sarcasm