Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 01-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Crazy or Stupid?

In August, I am planning a ride from the Atlantic shore to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (the "U.P."). MapQuest has the mileage at 1085 miles - one way. Originally, there were supposed to be three of us and we were going to take two or three days to ride up. Now it will be just myself, and I am considering riding up in one day (a la "Iron Butt").

Question: What is the furthest you have riden in one day? (Moderators, please feel free to insert a poll.) Is this idea crazy-cool or crazy-stupid? What recommendations do you have, if I were to ride this distance in one day? Do riders take any stock in having completed 1000 miles in one day?

NOTE: I have already been to the Iron Butt Association website. I'm looking for personal experiences here.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

The most miles I ever rode in one day was from Glendale California to Malad Idaho, approx 800 miles, on a 1980 XS1100 Vision Yamaha Bagger with all the touring crap on it. Took 12 hours and I was seeing double by the time I hit my Aunt Afton's house at around 9 PM. It was in summertime and the bugs were outrageous. Coated the front of the Yamaha like a bad paint job. Bugs stuck in the fins, the horns, the crash bars, everywhere. Must have used 3 cans of WD40 to scrape 'em all off. I HATE BUGS! Good luck, and get a nice cushy seat like I had (Corbin).
Old 01-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

The farthest I've ridden in less than 24 hours is about 1200 miles. It's neither crazy nor stupid, as long as you understand what you will need to do and prepare for it. The Iron Butt Association's Archive of Wisdom is a good start, but the real key in my opinion is to learn how to manage your time. Practice getting in and out of gas stations quickly. Learn how to drink and eat on the run. In short, don't spend time stopped, spend your time riding. If you do that, you should be able to finish a 1089 mile ride in about 18 hours at most. You won't even need to get tired!

You have plenty of time to prepare and practice. I suggest at least two practice rides of at least 400 miles, with your full kit, to work out any snags that can slow you down.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Anybody can ride long distance if they need to. It isn't that hard. It is horribly boring and completely against the reasons people ride motorcycles in the first place. You won't see anything worth seeing, and you won't have much fun because there is really nothing fun about it. I have ridden 900 mile days and back to back 800+ miles when necessary. The only reason I would ride those kind of miles is to get home. Otherwise don't bother.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

The distance between Atl and Daytona is about 500 miles. That's pretty good for me alone. I've done a few trips between Atl and Pontiac MI (about 760mi)- grandma's house. Those were pretty tough alone. With a buddy the time clicked by quick, but unless you have music- pushing 500 plus miles would wear me out. I'd end up sleeping 12 hrs to recover from a 700 trip alone.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Good Luck Not Crazy

As I have grown older I find that a 500 mile a day limit is about right. When I am not in a hurry I tend to enjoy the ride more.It should be the ride and the destination. If you have the time take a little longer get there and plan a more interesting route. If the 1000 miles in a day is a goal get it out of the way so it doesn't hang over you.I also have found that riding alone can be a blessing. Good luck. Gear yourself for maximum comfort and you wont go far wrong.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Road less traveled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
As I have grown older I find that a 500 mile a day limit is about right. When I am not in a hurry I tend to enjoy the ride more.It should be the ride and the destination. If you have the time take a little longer get there and plan a more interesting route. If the 1000 miles in a day is a goal get it out of the way so it doesn't hang over you.I also have found that riding alone can be a blessing. Good luck. Gear yourself for maximum comfort and you wont go far wrong.
As I rule, I avoid highway riding. I prefer the road less traveled. The only reason I would do this is to test my mettle. I enjoy long-distance bicycling and running - pushing through to the limit of endurance. However, I prefer the back roads for sheer enjoyment.

Hmmm. Thanks for the input. It gives me pause to think about WHY we really ride in the first place!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
12er
Founding Member

Ive done 600 just to have lunch with my nephew. Wanted to do the IBA thang but never found the time. I do know that having pegs that you can stand up for makes a world of diff. My buddy did the 1k on his dyna with forwards. He packed the passenger seat with a huge bag and just laid back and watched the miles roll by. My K12 doesnt allow the recline luxury so being able to stand up on the pegs every 75 or so (midtank) is a big relief. I also lay on my tank bag and hook my feet over the passenger pegs. Set the cruise control and one hand it for a good number of miles. Strap your camel back to the back or just wear it. Having water when you want it really takes away a lot of fatigue. EZ leaker optional...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
The farthest I've ridden in less than 24 hours is about 1200 miles. It's neither crazy nor stupid, as long as you understand what you will need to do and prepare for it. The Iron Butt Association's Archive of Wisdom is a good start, but the real key in my opinion is to learn how to manage your time. Practice getting in and out of gas stations quickly. Learn how to drink and eat on the run. In short, don't spend time stopped, spend your time riding. If you do that, you should be able to finish a 1089 mile ride in about 18 hours at most. You won't even need to get tired!

You have plenty of time to prepare and practice. I suggest at least two practice rides of at least 400 miles, with your full kit, to work out any snags that can slow you down.
Why did you do it? How did you feel when you finished, physically AND mentally?

I always wondered if those people who summit Everest think to themselves, "Jeeze. So this is what it's all about?"
Old 01-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Anybody can ride long distance if they need to. It isn't that hard. It is horribly boring and completely against the reasons people ride motorcycles in the first place.
Exactly. Slow down, take in the scenery. Find the back roads. If you're in a hurry: take a plane.