Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 12-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default It's only a matter of time

Automatic speed-limiting devices should be fitted to cars, says report - Telegraph

With the USA's population obviously desiring to be taken care of by the govt like the Brits expect to see us do this in your lifetime.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"A panel from the Commission for Integrated Transport and the Motorists' Forum, both of which advise the Government on transport, say the technology would cut injuries from road accidents by 29 per cent and reduce carbon emissions."

Just as predicted by some here, the global warming nonsense isn't really a power grab.

Dude, I just saw where the SF airport is asking for donations after your flight to 'erase the carbon footprint' of your flight. How they can 'erase' it is anyone's guess, but money sure helps I bet! How long before that becomes mandatory? Pretty soon, I can see a fart tax coming for releasing emissions without governmental consent. Way past time to put 'global warming' into the trash bin where it always was meant to be, and take away the Nobel from Algore and give it to somebody that doesn't lie on a regular basis.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Here's what I'm waiting for: we have "Speedpass," which is the automatic toll swiping gizmo that keeps you from waiting in line to pay. They've just opened "SpeedLanes," where you can ride in a special" lane if you're willing to pay. There are overhead sensors that pick up your tansponder as you enter the lane and ride along. It would be incredibly easy for someone to start running reports on when a transponder passed various pickup points and doing the math to find speeders. Maybe they'll start auto-debiting the speeding tickets along with the toll charges.

I despise the concept entirely; it reminds me of Civics class in High School where they told us how the Communist Party members had their own lanes without traffic. HOV lanes are bad enough; using the highway system to as a mechanism for social change is stupid. There are better ways to get people to carpool or use mass transit.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"A panel from the Commission for Integrated Transport and the Motorists' Forum, both of which advise the Government on transport, say the technology would cut injuries from road accidents by 29 per cent and reduce carbon emissions."

Just as predicted by some here, the global warming nonsense isn't really a power grab.

Dude, I just saw where the SF airport is asking for donations after your flight to 'erase the carbon footprint' of your flight. How they can 'erase' it is anyone's guess, but money sure helps I bet! How long before that becomes mandatory? Pretty soon, I can see a fart tax coming for releasing emissions without governmental consent. Way past time to put 'global warming' into the trash bin where it always was meant to be, and take away the Nobel from Algore and give it to somebody that doesn't lie on a regular basis.
That's the worst of it. No matter how much money they extract they can't reduce the carbon production. It's a big scam. The money just goes fill Algore's pockets and to create more govt jobs that only make things worse.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Maybe they'll start auto-debiting the speeding tickets along with the toll charges."

Ever hear of red light cameras? They have 500 of them in Chicago and it made the city 1.6 million dollars last year. They have what you describe here in the form of 'speed vans' that auto ticket anyone speeding. Welcome to '1984'
Old 12-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Here's what I'm waiting for: we have "Speedpass," which is the automatic toll swiping gizmo that keeps you from waiting in line to pay. They've just opened "SpeedLanes," where you can ride in a special" lane if you're willing to pay. There are overhead sensors that pick up your tansponder as you enter the lane and ride along. It would be incredibly easy for someone to start running reports on when a transponder passed various pickup points and doing the math to find speeders. Maybe they'll start auto-debiting the speeding tickets along with the toll charges.

I despise the concept entirely; it reminds me of Civics class in High School where they told us how the Communist Party members had their own lanes without traffic. HOV lanes are bad enough; using the highway system to as a mechanism for social change is stupid. There are better ways to get people to carpool or use mass transit.
KMo, you were on the right path there until the last line of your post. "Getting" people to do things is when the gov't is at it's most dangerous.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Anything that helps stop global warming gets my vote. Carbon credits, adding taxes to food that aren't organic, taxing cars by mileage driven, limiting the number of commercial flights one person can take per year (I say two would be plenty), eliminate the use of state land and national forests, ban land ownership (you CAN'T own Mother Nature), ban personal transportation (or at least put a massive tax on it. Could you image how much good would be accomplished if there is a $15,000 Carbon Tax on each vehicle purchased?!). I also feel all computer equipment should be state owned and limited to two computers per "living development".
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Anything that helps stop global warming gets my vote. Carbon credits, adding taxes to food that aren't organic, taxing cars by mileage driven, limiting the number of commercial flights one person can take per year (I say two would be plenty), eliminate the use of state land and national forests, ban land ownership (you CAN'T own Mother Nature), ban personal transportation (or at least put a massive tax on it. Could you image how much good would be accomplished if there is a $15,000 Carbon Tax on each vehicle purchased?!). I also feel all computer equipment should be state owned and limited to two computers per "living development".
Bucking for the Nobel Peace prize again, are ya?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:56 AM   #9
SmokeU
Registered Member

If only one could officially campaign for a Nobel Prize.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote