Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 12-12-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default To the rider

Who just got hit by two cars on the 210 freeway in Azuza, God speed brother. Hope you make it, and can ride again someday.

I've started tracking serious motorcycle accidents here in Los Angeles, and there are about three every day. I'm going to find out who this rider is, and see how he or she is doing, and visit them in County USC Hospital if I can. County USC saved my life, but it is a dark place built in 1894 with no windows or exits, except through the front door, or the morgue.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Yeah good luck, it always makes me sick to see a bike down. We were on vacation in Wyoming a few years ago and came upon an accident scene involving a Goldwing. There was plastic fairing and saddlebag pieces and literally gallons of blood and chunks smeared off onto the shoulder for a few dozen yards leading to an Aid Car and State Patrol vehicles, I was afraid to look I tell you. Turned out to be a lady from the GW sitting on the side of the shoulder with what looked like a broken leg and some abrasions, her silk Tavern jacket hadn't held up too well appearently. Another GW belonging to her hubby I guess was there and he was hovering around comforting her.

Turns out all the blood and guts came from a large deer she hit, the bike landded on it and ground it into the asphalt as they slid to a stop, that's why there was such a mess. Quite a deal anyway, ruined their day I'm sure.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

(Note: unpleasant and/or graphic material follows. Reader discretion advised)

Mike and I were riding up I-95 a few months ago when the traffic slowed and started shifting right. A cop car was blocking the left two lanes. The cops had just arrived and weren't even directing traffic; everyone was just easing their way around it. No wrecked car, nothing but this big weird looking blob lying on the pavement. We putted past at walking speed, and I kept looking at it, trying to figure out what the hell it was. Suddenly I realized it was the bottom half of a lady; her clothes and shoes had been torn away. We found out later that a family of four had been driving in a car with bald tires. A tire blew and threw them all out of the car as it tumbled into the woods between the Northbound and Southbound lanes. No seatbelts, of course; they all died.

Then, there was this one time in Band Camp,
Old 12-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
SmokeU
Registered Member

I hit a deer with the Magna once going about 60 mph. Well, more correctly my knee hit the deer's head; I didn't go down or anything. I just had a swollen knee for a few days and deer slobber and hair stuck to the bike. Needless to say I didn't ride at night for quite a while after that.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
(Note: unpleasant and/or graphic material follows. Reader discretion advised)

Mike and I were riding up I-95 a few months ago when the traffic slowed and started shifting right. A cop car was blocking the left two lanes. The cops had just arrived and weren't even directing traffic; everyone was just easing their way around it. No wrecked car, nothing but this big weird looking blob lying on the pavement. We putted past at walking speed, and I kept looking at it, trying to figure out what the hell it was. Suddenly I realized it was the bottom half of a lady; her clothes and shoes had been torn away. We found out later that a family of four had been driving in a car with bald tires. A tire blew and threw them all out of the car as it tumbled into the woods between the Northbound and Southbound lanes. No seatbelts, of course; they all died.

Then, there was this one time in Band Camp,
Hey, Ken. Do you get a lot of deer hits down in Fla? Deer hits are becoming one of the major causes of wrecks in many parts of the US.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Deer hits are becoming one of the major causes of wrecks in many parts of the US.
Bong hits are a major cause of wrecks in Florida.

But seriously, it might be up in North Florida, but everybody I know who hunts deer goes out of state to do it. Aside from the tiny "Key Deer" down around Marathon there aren't many in my area.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 12-12-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

An old customer (John Metcalf- works for US Rider News) was riding home to Palmetto, GA (yep- it's the sticks) and a deer jumped into him. Not in front- actually into his lap while riding his FLHTCU home from a bike night event he was covering. Needless to say, he went down hard. Luckily, no serious bodily injury. But have a deer jump into your lap at speed (close to 60) would probably make that a story you tell your friends, family and great-grandkids forever. Oh- that claim was over $21k when it settled.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I've seen many people that got ejected from their vehicle that did much better than the people that stayed in. It's all a crapshoot kids. There is nothing you can do to predict or change the outcome of any collision.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

We're fortunate not to have deer down here in SD. I've ridden in Northern CA, Oregon, Wyoming, and Utah -- those areas have PLENTY of deer, and I'm always well on the lookout for them. Deer are one of the few things that I worry about.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Bong hits are a major cause of wrecks in Florida.

But seriously, it might be up in North Florida, but everybody I know who hunts deer goes out of state to do it. Aside from the tiny "Key Deer" down around Marathon there aren't many in my area.
Ha! I bet your greatest danger down there is blue hairs.