Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 12-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Ha! I bet your greatest danger down there is blue hairs.

Ain't that the truth!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #12
12er
Founding Member

Ive had many close calls around the bay and in the Sierra's with Deer on the bike. I hit one back in 90 in my parents brand new accord. Shot right over the roof luckily and didnt come through the windshield. Only a new hood and grill, best outcome I could of hoped for.

I missed the "Deer in the lap" once, looked over to stare it in the eyes from about 8 inches away as I went by and it was in the air mid stride. One hundredth of a second later I would of been wearing it.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Ha! I bet your greatest danger down there is blue hairs.
Us Rats prefer the more politically correct term "Q-Tips." As in the little white puffs of hair you see peeking above the seat of the Crown Vics.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
pushrod
Founding Member

Up here in LA (Lower Alabama), I try not to be out at night on the bike outside of town.

There are a mess o' deer, raccoons, possum and the odd dog on the road. And you don't always get the eyeflash.

I tagged a big doe a couple years ago with my F-150. I saw three deer standing in the middle of the road down a slight hill (the only kind we have). That was the only reason my brights picked them up.

Anyway, I stood on the brakes, and shed most of my speed. They all took off, but one turned and ran back onto the road. I hit her in the head with my right headlight.

I'm looking in the rearview, and I see this heap in the road. Crap, says I. So, I turn around and drive back, parking the truck where the headlights are shining on the scene.

I figured I was going to grab a leg and drag her off the pavement so no one hit her. Well, about the time I grabbed a leg, she woke up. Apparently, I just knocked her out.

Go ahead. Fantasize a bit. This sounds like the setup for at least a dozen jokes.

Well, I promptly let go of her leg. She looked at me with the same gaze I remember from late nights at college parties. She had a serious bloody nose, but looked good otherwise. Then, her head cleared, and she stood up. By now she realized there was a human six feet away; so she took a couple wobbly steps towards the trees, and then leapt away into the darkness.

As I drove off, all I could think of was of how glad I was that I wasn't on my bike. Well, that, and 'Why is my O/D lamp illuminated?'

I figured I had a busted headlight, for sure. When I gave the truck a good look the next morning, it turned out I had absolutely no damage at all.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #15
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I've seen many people that got ejected from their vehicle that did much better than the people that stayed in. It's all a crapshoot kids. There is nothing you can do to predict or change the outcome of any collision.
I dunno, LR. We get a lot of folks around here killed because they were ejected from the car, and most of the time they come to a very sudden stop with the aid of a pine tree. The rest get hit by their own car.

Although it irritates me no end when the m/c wrecks include "Helmets were not in use.", at least the accounts of vehicular mayhem include whether seatbelts were used.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Seatbelts are fine, but I have seen thousands of accident scenes over the years, and I can tell you that there were many people that got ejected that fared much better than those left in the vehicle. There is no guarantee of any 'safety' equipment that will actually save you from harm. I could happen but lots of times it won't.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #17
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Rider alive

The guy made it, was awake and speaking to relatives in the ER room. Didn't get the injuries sustained, but they were serious enough to warrant an air-ambulance ride from the 210 freeway, to the hospital about 10 miles away. Heal fast bro.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #18
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
The guy made it, was awake and speaking to relatives in the ER room. Didn't get the injuries sustained, but they were serious enough to warrant an air-ambulance ride from the 210 freeway, to the hospital about 10 miles away. Heal fast bro.
Gotta love the chopper crews. My sister in law got a chopper ride after a massive car wreck when she was six months pregnant. Mother and daughter turned out fine. McKenna's five now and won't stfu....glad she's my brother's kid

Meanwhile, I do most of my riding in southwestern Ohio where my folks live and my two biggest crash factors are 1) Me; and 2) deer. I have the luxury of riding on some great roads in the middle of nowhere so as long as I keep my cool I'm OK because there is zero cage traffic. The deer are another problem altogether. I do most of my riding with my pops and he's had a close call with the deerus maximus, I've been lucky. As LR said, nothing you can do. We try not to ride at the peak times, but that's about all you can do. Those bambi bastards scare me.

Glad this guy's OK (relatively), and Cuddy, looks like you've found a way to help out some people who find themselves in situations similar to yours. Good on ya.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote