Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 12-06-2001, 10:09 AM   #1
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia announces GP1 contender

Okay, so who's your money on for the 2002 GP season? 2 stroke or 4? Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Aprilia, or Sauber (they are competing in GP, right?)

I say Mad Max Biaggi on the Yamaha. Not that it will improve his disposition. . .
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2001, 10:22 AM   #2
weak_link
Founding Member

I'm not a big Rossi fan but the kid has tallent. I think he's got a pretty good chance of making it a double.

Max still thinks he's on a 250 so it should be interesting to see him on the 4-stroke.

Kenny Jr.? Love to see him win but I don't know that Suzuki has their act together to stomp the superpowers of Honda or Yamaha.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 11:14 AM   #3
FloridaSteve
Founding Member

What a georgous bike... it would win the best looking contest out of the 4/S GP bikes so far...
Old 12-06-2001, 11:42 AM   #4
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Follow the money...

Right to Big Red. At this level, it's almost all about money...and if Soichiro Honda was still alive, I would say FOR SURE that Honda will dominate...but now there's a little room for doubt.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 11:58 AM   #5
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Alright, alright...

I will finally, at long last, concede that Aprilia makes a dandy motorcycle, with perfectly fine engineering.....but the above post notwithstanding, does every bike they make have to be so darn ugly? They are giving the Kwaks a serious run for their money on ugly stick beatings.....The Yamaha M1 is, hands-down, the sweetest looking bike I have ever seen.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 12:16 PM   #6
Grover
Founding Member

I'm not sure the yammie is the best looking bike I've ever seen (I'll take the MV F4 thanks), but I'll agree that it's probably the best looking of the new GP bikes.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 12:24 PM   #7
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Wow, this coming season is getting better and better already. At least the technological aspect any ways. I hope the FIM continues to let the manufacturers have more leeway (engine configuration, etc.) than the FIA does with F1. Maybe the 2 strokes won't do as well as I've been predicting, but I'm still not making any bets. Not only will it be interesting to see what engine type (4 stroke vs. 2 stroke) will be more competetive, but also engine architecture. I think if I were to build a GP bike, I might go with a triple like Aprilia. Anyone hear anything more about the Ducati GP rumors?
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 12:39 PM   #8
itchface
Founding Member

An inline triple? A great idea, but, man, is this gonna' piss off Triumph! Especially when Aprilia decides to build a streetbike based on the GP1 machine, to the detriment of the Triumph Daytona. Let this serve as a wake-up call for the boys at Meridien (sic?). It's not enough to be different, you gotta' do it better. Or something like that.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 12:45 PM   #9
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Agreed. It somehow looks "regal," though that's not an adjective I'd normally associate with GP bikes.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 12:50 PM   #10
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Triumph can deal...

I think an inline triple streetbike it would be great for Aprilia. Reviewers seem to love the current 1000cc V-Twin models they have (though they're still very rare on the street), and they've secured a reputation as very reliable and affordable for an Italian marque, so perhaps it's time that they up the production rate and diversify their product?

My mantra: the more competition, the better...
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote