Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 12-14-2001, 01:13 AM   #51
cbusa
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia announces GP1 contender

Actually the people who should be a bit irate are the Laverda people. That's their engine layout. Aprilia put the wrong tank badge on the bike!
cbusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2001, 05:51 AM   #52
Duke731
Founding Member

Default Re: Big Shake Coming

Don't count the 2-strokes out. There is technology out there eg; Orbital: FI, valves, dry sump pressure lubed, stratified charge etc. Some years ago the car guys were building concept donkeys and basically running the cams 2x.

Btw Rotax is building some Orbital engines. Not the whole bagful of patents, however.
Duke731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 09:06 AM   #53
barefoot
Founding Member

Default Don't forget 2 strokes huge advantage:

*twice as many power strokes*

So the displacement difference is an obvious need. There's no way a 500cc 4-stroke can compete with a 500cc 2-stroke.
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 07:12 AM   #54
tonymoe
Founding Member

Default Re: Laverda

No kidding, Aprilia has WSB for the Aprilia brand, maybe it should use Moto GP to save the image of guzzi and laverda.
tonymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 07:21 AM   #55
tonymoe
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph racing

Aprilia has to race to establish its brand identity, Triumph avoided needing to race by buying an old establised brand that came with a racing heritage. H-D has the same advantage, it's brand image was also buit by racing, but that was accomplised way before the 50's. Still it is surprizing that Triumph does'nt want to use Moto GP to show off the ability of inline triples.
tonymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 06:48 AM   #56
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default Re: Read my post again, I think I made my point better than

that is one line of thinking - getting the maximum amount of power out of a prescribed amount of fuel.

my line of thinking is different(though not necessarily wrong) - getting the maximum amount of power out of a smaller object.

both are efficient in their own way. the way traffic is these days and will be in the future, i'd rather vehicles be smaller than fuel efficient
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote