Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 12-07-2001, 07:07 AM   #21
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Twin

Short Stroke Twin. They have been fooling with different engine configs. They find the most power with the 4-5 cyl but they are sticking with the short stroke twin which is said to have the power characteristics similar to a long stroke 4 cyl. The twin also had power somewhere in the 200-210 range. Looks like the factory that has the best rider and the best ability to get all this power to the ground will have the most success.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2001, 08:26 AM   #22
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: What about the timing?

The pneumatics also eliminate valve flutter so you can spin the thing faster (18,000 rpm anyone?)
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 08:26 AM   #23
Smoke
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia's gonna be busy.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/011207/5/fda7.html
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 08:29 AM   #24
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia announces GP1 contender

I gotta give props to the boys at MO for finally scooping the other e-zines. They beat MCN by a day and had about the same amount of coverage with the exception of pics, as MCN had more angles. While I'm not sure how they got the scoop, I'm glad they finally did.

I just wanted to spew some praise because they always get trashed when someone beats them with a story.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 10:17 AM   #25
tbuse
Founding Member

Hinckley. Meridian is the old Triumph factory, Hinckley the new one.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 10:21 AM   #26
tbuse
Founding Member

Any news on whether the tanking of Aprilla's scooter market will effect the money it can devote to racing?
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 11:32 AM   #27
remanking
Founding Member

Default Re: Not Meridien, Hinckley

Meridien is now a housing subdivision. Triumph is in Hinckley.
remanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 11:36 AM   #28
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default I doubt it...

It seems to me that their streetbike market is starting to take off. Remember, five years ago, nobody rode Aprilias on the street (except for maybe someone on a Pegaso 650). Now they've got the Mille, the Falco, the Futura, the CapoNord, and three new bikes coming out (the cafe-racer Blue Marlin which WILL go into production, the streetfighter "Tuono," and the do-it-all standard "Mana"--see below link), all with positive reviews from the press. I'd imagine that they must be making enough there to compensate for decreasing scooter sales.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/d...822&navID=null
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 11:39 AM   #29
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Dang! Link didn't work.

Well go to www.motorcyclenews.com and click on "latest news" to find the article about the two newest Aprilias.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 01:23 PM   #30
Jack_R750
Founding Member

Default Re: Big Shake Coming

What good was that "with a massive displacement advantage" comment, and what is so bad about this advantage, if the double-capacity 4-stroke has equal (if not smaller) fuel consumption to the 2-stroke, and more efficiency (more power produced from the same amount of fuel) ????

If there was an engine technology which would give me 2000cc bike with fuel consumption of current 600cc and power of liter-class, do you really think I'd care about its displacement? Efficiency is what matters (or, in daily terms, fuel mileage), and it's measured by fuel/work, not displacement/work formula. (BTW, engine power has a straight relation to the "work" term used here)
Jack_R750 is offline   Reply With Quote