Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 11-09-2001, 11:04 AM   #1
Zipper326
Founding Member

Default Re: Speedvision 2002 Motorcycle Programming

Well it's nice to see that Speedvision is not going to drop motorcycle racing in 2002. From what I understand they recently got bought out and that's why motorcycle racing has been up in the air. Does anyone else out there know the true story.
Zipper326 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2001, 11:16 AM   #2
Arch
Founding Member

The Fox deal is old news and while they may say they're going to carry the scoots in '02, it's still just a matter of time until the channel goes NASCRAP 24/7. Like it or not, visit the link below to see the future...

http://charlotte.bcentral.com/charlo...15/story6.html

Archie R.
Katy, TX
http://arch.home.texas.net/
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 12:57 PM   #3
jrw600
Founding Member

If you read the press release on the Speedvision page you'll see it says "All 2001 Motorcycle programming will continue in 2002." What it doesn't say is what series will be shown. It lists specific automobile series such as Cart F1 Lemans etc.. but doesn't list Motogp WSB or AMA Superbike. I think they might just show the Motorcyclist and Bikeweek stuff but no real racing. I emailed them and got back a standard reply-"Thank you for your comments. At this time, we are currently in negotiations regarding some of the favorite shows on Speedvision. " I may be wrong but I think everyone who enjoys Motorcycle racing on TV should email Speedvision and let them know!

jrw600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 07:05 AM   #4
Hadji
Founding Member

I sure hope that Speedvision continues it's current broadcast programming. Speedvision's broadcasts of the WSB Championship singlehandedly persuaded me to get back into motorcycling. I am even considering singles racing here in the midwest for next year. (Does anyone have any leads on where I should start my inquiries for club/track/schedule information?) I am definitely e-mailing Speedvision's website and if anybody knows of other avenues where our voices will be heard, please post.
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 08:20 AM   #5
Lateshow321
Founding Member

I don't know about you guys and gals..but I can't get enough MC racing on Speevision. Have you seen the "One Mile Track" action in Dirt Track racing??? Its awesome, racers go from fifth to first and back again on the same lap. There is so much strategy involoved. Powersliders of every genre cut their teeth in Dirt Track. Lil Nicky Hayden jumps off of his RC51 and onto a dirt tracker and is competitive!!! I guess that's where he got much of his racing experience.

I guess what I'm trying to say is whether its Motocross, Trials, Dirt Track, Road racing (AMA, WSB, Moto GP 500s)...I love to watch those racers do what I can only dream about doing...I for one hope that the racing coverage only increases...but fear that Nascar will get most of the airtime.

What do you think?????
Lateshow321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 02:09 PM   #6
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

NO!!!! ARGHHHHHH, I WANT MY 24 HR NASCAR. I want to sleep, eat, and sh!t nascar, all day, all night!!!!

Good call Speed -watcha ma call them? ChannelVision or something.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 02:29 PM   #7
MrSpucial
Founding Member

It'd be nice if Speed vision-channel-viewing-watever it's called got direct stuff from overseas. Beats hearing the commentators guessing on who overtook who and the entire mess when races turn into two legs with corrected timing. Still don't get it......
MrSpucial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 07:26 AM   #8
jason808
Founding Member

A couple of months ago, an internet "petition" garnered over 50,000 signatures telling Fox not to change Speedvision into the "NASCAR Channel". Allegedly, Fox heard and scrapped the idea. From what I've read on the auto racing boards, the current line is that with the CART package, and the intent to carry lots of world-wide events (WRC, probably F1, LeMans, etc.) that the new Speed Channel will drop aviation and marine coverage to add more NASCAR programming, and lots of additional CART programming, while allowing for the same level of continued coverage of Motorcycles, racing, etc. I'm cautiously optimistic.
jason808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 09:53 AM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

I'm not. I like the aviation and some of the marine coverage, as well. Livng here in the south, the last thing I need is more NASCAR.
Old 11-11-2001, 03:11 PM   #10
TheKid
Founding Member

E-mails Apparently Had Impact On Speedvision, At Least For 2002

From a press release:

SPEEDVISION CONFIRMS COMMITMENT TO AMA PRO RACING COVERAGE

PICKERINGTON, Ohio - Speedvision, the motorsports cable channel acquired last July by the Fox Cable Networks Group, has announced its continued commitment to AMA Pro Racing for 2002.

Speedvision will be the television home of the AMA Chevy Trucks U.S. Superbike Championships and will broadcast select AMA Progressive Insurance U.S. Flat Track Championship races.

"We want to make sure our network satisfies the motorcycle enthusiast market, an audience we consider extremely important to the network," said Speedvision President Jim Liberatore. "The fact that Speedvision received tens of thousands of e-mails from motorcycle enthusiasts shows the passion of that audience."

Bolstering Liberatore's assertion that motorcycle racing is an important part of Speedvision's future is the announcement from the network that it will provide live coverage of the 61st Annual Daytona 200 by Arai in March and three hours of live coverage from the event's Supercross race.

"Our working relationship with Speedvision remains strong," said Scott Hollingsworth, AMA Pro Racing's CEO. "Speedvision's coverage has greatly assisted the development of the AMA Pro Racing properties of road racing and flat track. We've been working with Dan Murphy at Speedvision and expect to announce our AMA Chevy Trucks U.S. Superbike Championship schedule soon with expanded television coverage for the series in 2002."

Murphy added, "There will be some changes to the weekly program lineup in 2002 with the additional NASCAR programming. However, Two Wheel Tuesdays and our live motorcycle racing will remain intact, due to the support of the sponsors and viewers. The viewers should really thank all the sponsors of the motorcycle programming because the sponsor support gave us another compelling reason to keep all the motorcycle programming intact."

Speedvision, which currently reaches 45 million homes, is being rebranded as Speed Channel and will be relaunched with new programming and a new logo in February of 2002. The relaunch will come one month after the channel celebrates its sixth anniversary.

That's taken from roadracingworld.com
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote