Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 11-11-2001, 06:05 PM   #11
SVSBoss
Founding Member

Default Re: Speedvision 2002 Motorcycle Programming

Hey, could be worse. My cable provider doesn't carry Speedvision.
SVSBoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2001, 01:01 AM   #12
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

It's called aggggg greegggg gittttttt timing for us nascar lovers (I can't stand 4 whell oval racing). See, they add your official pre-red flag time to your time after the restart, but us southern folks have a hard time adding all that. They should just do an ama and let them start all over. Aggregate smaggegrate.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 04:33 AM   #13
das
Founding Member

Yeah, mine doesn't either. That's why I got a satellite dish. Yeah, there's some up-front cost, but around here the DirecTV package that includes Speedvision is about $12/mo *cheaper* than basic cable, so it was an easy sell to my wife, too.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 04:39 AM   #14
das
Founding Member

Aggregate, smaggregate, indeed. I don't care what nascar does, but I wish MC racing would throw out aggregate time. They should have a staggered re-start (if you were 2.5sec behind the leader at the red flag, you start 2.5sec behind the leader).

This solve the two major problems with other methods. (1) The racing on the track is the same as the racing in the standings, unlike the "aggregate time" method. (2) The red flag doesn't compromise the effort of the leader(s) on the restart, unlike the ama-style restart method.

Now we just need to take care of the "crashing teammate" trick...
Old 11-12-2001, 07:24 AM   #15
olderguy
Founding Member

I got digital cable from ATT strictly for Speedvision's

coverage of Motorcyle racing and formula One / CART. Now that I have it, I also enjoy the boating and aircraft programming.

If they cut into the non-NASCAR programming too much, I'll just drop the digital cable until another network picks up where Speedvision left off.

I'd be very surprised if NASCAR programming increases Speadvision's revenues. NASCAR is already available 24 hrs a day on the free channels.
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 01:47 PM   #16
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

From what I hear on the 'boards and emails etc. MC racing is not being kept, rather just not bumped yet. To drop marine and aviation is simply dropping the smaller 'groups'. Motorcycling is still a 'small group' and, when a bigger group shows up, MC will be dropped too. The only hope of keeping MC on TV will be to constantly inform the networks that we're out here. You gotta admit, in the USA at least, there's more $$$ in NASCAR than WSB.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 06:55 AM   #17
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Well, that one sounds too complicated. If you were in tenth place and 40 seconds behind the leader, where are they going to put you on the track? Especially a track like Sears Point. That would be ugly, for real. IT's evil either way.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:45 AM   #18
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

I just fired off an e-mail thanking them for "announcing the continuation of motorcycle-related programming on Speedvision."

I think the fact that so many expressed concern, from this web site and others, is why they responded the way they did.
JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 09:13 AM   #19
das
Founding Member

Couldn't you just line everybody up, maybe 2 or 3 wide, in the pit lane, and start from there? The starter could just walk down the field with a printout of the timing sheet and a stop watch, and gesture to each rider when his time comes. That's not outrageously complicated, is it?

Sure, it's potentially a bit messy if there was a large group running close together when the red flag dropped... but certainly no messier than a simultaneous restart of the whole field.

If you're worried about a stalled machine holding up the field because pit lane is narrow, you could have everyone who was on the lead lap start from the normal starting grid, and people that were a lap down would have to start from an alternate posistion (pit lane, one side of the grid, etc).
Old 11-13-2001, 11:32 AM   #20
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

It is when 5 riders are in a pack and are within .7 seconds of each other... When technology gets better and everyone has two red lights and a green light on a console on the bike to tell them when to start, then that may be possible.