Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 11-05-2001, 04:45 AM   #11
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Who was the most fun to watch?

What I'd like to know is which of these great racers was the most fun to watch. Rossi is the only one I've seen thanks to Speedvision, and even they don't show his most entertaining antics, such as the costumes, etc.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2001, 05:09 AM   #12
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Very Interesting!

Thanks for the interesting statistics. That's some pretty elite company for Rossi to be in, even after only 2 seasons.

NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 07:58 AM   #13
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Where was Haga?

Anybody know?

Thanks!
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 08:16 AM   #14
das
Founding Member

Default Re: rossi record breaker.

I think by "all three", he meant 125, 250, and 500 titles. It's kind of silly though, since others have won titles in 3 different displacement categories, back when there were more than just those 3.

I'm not old enough to remember racing from the 60's and 70's, but I've heard the same from others (that it wasn't nearly as competitive then).

I'm not disagreeing with you, but what do you mean when you say that "Rainey, Schwantz, Lawson, Gardner, KR were good but flawed"?

You could easily argue that Rossi is "flawed", in that he's not always very good in the rain... he was awesome in Italy in the rain this year (until he crashed 2 corners from the end), but he was (relatively) awful in the other rain races. Is that the kind of flaw you're talking about?

No doubt in my mind, though... Rossi has a long way to go to be better than Doohan. He certainly has the potential, but this is a conversation to be had in 2006, when people are talking about changing the rules because it's so boring watching Rossi win nearly every race wire-to-wire by 20 seconds.

das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 08:25 AM   #15
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Results of last 500cc GP in History of the World

Colin,

I, for one, hope that you're back next year. I've enjoyed your timely coverage of the GP circus this year. Nothing can replace watching the race, but your descriptions are way beyond a simple results sheet. And I appreciate your participation in the discussions, too. Good luck to you in whatever you do.

Dave
Old 11-05-2001, 08:53 AM   #16
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default i wholeheartedly agree with you

people are like "wow, the new 990cc 4strokes wll be monsters, boasting 10-50 more horsepower than the 500's". well, i just wish they would unleash a 990cc 2stroke. tire development would grow leaps and bounds then, i bet
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 10:05 AM   #17
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Who was the most fun to watch?

Probably depends on the viewer... to my eyes:

Rossi is more "entertaining", because he's young and flamboyant, because he has a clear and entertaining rival, and because the racing has been fairly close.

Doohan was more "amazing" because he was just so much better than everyone else. It still amazes me that interviewers would ask him whether he would be willing to slow down during the races just to make it seem like the racing was close.

So, it depends on what you think is "fun to watch"... entertaining or amazing. I find both fun to watch.
Old 11-05-2001, 10:20 AM   #18
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Hows that, then?

Huh? I'm finding it difficult to believe that the tire manufacturers are holding back so much right now.

That's not to say that a hugely more powerful bike wouldn't require different tires. I'm just not convinced that the development of such different tires would genuinely advance the state of the art of motorcycle tire manufacturing.

But, more importantly, don't you think that lots more horsepower would lead to LESS exciting races? I mean, as it is now, it's a relatively rare move to pass mid-corner on a 500. Most passes are drafting moves, or on the brakes at the end of the straights, or because of a mistake by the other rider. The 250 class has less HP, and (usually) more dicing. The 125 class has even less HP, and even more dicing. See the trend?

Huge HP, especially large HP differentials between bikes (which is related), would amount to more of a series of drag races between turns, rather than true road racing.

Don't get me wrong, I love drag racing, but I don't see any need to make the new MotoGP class into a drag racing class.
Old 11-05-2001, 10:23 AM   #19
A_Nominal_Squid
Founding Member

I'm a big fan of 2-strokes, even more so now that I've ridden an Aprilia RS250. WHY can't we have street-legal bikes like that here?? 2-strokes may not be the cleanest, most fuel-efficient, or easiest to ride well, but dammit, they're fun!!

Alan, come out to the the right side of the country sometime and I'll let you goof about on my CR250 motard. I have finally gotten around to ordering the wheels up..should have 'em all set up by the new year
A_Nominal_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 11:14 AM   #20
motogeper
Founding Member

It becomes much harder to maintain that average when you increase the number of years participating and therefore the denominator in that formula. Without taking away anything from Rossi (I believe he will be one of the greatest) given that all top gp riders have a similar level of talent, a particular brand (specially Honda) favoring one of their pilots can skew the final outcome on a particular year.

It is a well known fact that two bikes from the same team (never mind brand) can have different hp outputs. Then, you need to find the perfect tune up (engine, tranny and suspension) for a particular racetrack. And, in this case, Rossi has Doohan (He really is one of the greatest, if not the greatest) on his side to help him with the tunning.
motogeper is offline   Reply With Quote