Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 11-01-2001, 02:26 PM   #1
goddamoldladies
Founding Member

Default Re: Rossi won

go rossi....well done kenny hope he gets better equipment next year...first post

goddamoldladies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2001, 04:43 PM   #2
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Yeah, Kenny's equipmet was just adequate last year, and just plain sucks this year.

Wouldn't you love to see MAT and KENNY on Suzuki GP bikes, Kurtis, Rossi, Nicky, Miguel and Capirossi on Hondas, Haga, Gobert, Checa and Biaggi on the M1, Xaus, Bostrom and Bayliss on Ducs, and Eric, Doug and Chris Walker on Kawasakis GP bikes?!?!?! That would be the ultimate race once they get the class running good. Man I would die to see these guys race for full season.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 05:21 PM   #3
RobM
Founding Member

My questions: Would the competition be better or worse with a control tyre, that just happened to be available to the general public? ie a DOT compliant tyre? Not as much grip, but would the results of such highly tuned machinery running on ordinary rubber be spectacular to watch, w/ rear wheel steering etc, or would the pace and spectacle deteriorate?

What are some opinions? I know there was a bit of an uproar when the rules for 2003 (or was it 2004) WSB were realeased, restricting the bikes to treaded tyres... How goes the vox populi? Interesting to see the difference of opinions between racers and non-racers, yes?
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 08:40 PM   #4
E-dog
Founding Member

I herd Kenny's new bike was imported from the movie, "Dumb and Dumber". The scooter Jim Carrey rode in the movie produced around 12 horsepower at the rear wheel. Should be a couple more ponies than Kenny's bike last year. I wish the best of luck to him. Let's hope for the best...
E-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 02:06 AM   #5
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Equal Machinery.

If you look at the Top speeds in qualifying, Kenny is 5+ km/h slower than rossi on the straight and he is still just as fast. Most of the people below him on the time sheet are still faster in top speed. He is a great rider (kenny). Sete Gib is a cool 7 km/h slower than Rossi. It would be a great battle on equal machinery.
Old 11-02-2001, 02:07 AM   #6
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

I am not a racer but I don't think you should put Nascar race cars on 185/65 treaded tires that I put on my Civic. That would be ugly. I know my example is extreme, but it's a valid analogy.
Old 11-02-2001, 05:45 AM   #7
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Tires

Not a racer, but... I don't see the point of restricting the tires in GP or WSB to be DOT-approved tires (or the like). If you're gonna do that, then why not force them meet gov't emissions requirements and pump gas, too? (What's next, mandatory hard luggage?)

I say GP and WSB racing should be performed using race bikes, not hopped-up street bikes. That's what supersport and superstock classes are for. Nobody (who's thinking) is gonna mistake a factory WSB bike for a street bike, even with treaded tires.

Besides, tire wear is already a huge factor; why make it an even bigger factor by dumbing-down the tires and making them "go off" even earlier in the race?
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 06:57 AM   #8
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Tires

Hard Luggage? Don't give them any ideas. Then engineering and research money will go to that, to make them as light as possible while still aiding in chassis rigidity.
Old 11-02-2001, 07:41 AM   #9
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Actually you are not far off... NASCAR mandates a 15" Goodyear spec tire. Other than compound refinement and a switch from bias to radial construction there is no tire developement in NASCAR. Of course it can be argued that NASCAR is the Professional Wrestling of motor sports.
Old 11-02-2001, 09:06 AM   #10
gixxer
Founding Member

That scene in Dumb and Dumber was awesome!!

I doubt that it even makes 12hps!

gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote