Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 10-26-2001, 04:05 AM   #21
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Looking to the future

And a good dream it is.

jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2001, 05:49 AM   #22
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

What happens is Rossi wins again, Capirossi comes in second, and the four strokes start out as backmarkers and slowly creep up in the standings as the engineers get all the new stuff sorted out.

Remember, you read it here first!
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 07:20 AM   #23
das
Founding Member

Huh? Are you sure you weren't watching races from last year? I thought the WSB races this year were (for the most part) relatively boring, especially compared to the 2000 WSB season. Most of the good on-track battles were between riders not competing for the championship.

GP, on the other hand, became incredibly fun to watch this year. The numbers might indicate that Rossi was completely dominant, and thus some level of boredom, but that was certainly not the case.

For the most part, these weren't Doohan-esque wins, where there's never any question about who's going to win from the moment they exit the first corner. Rossi is a notoriously bad starter, and often has to pass half the field to reach the front. Didn't hurt that Biaggi was the best qualifier all year, so Rossi almost always had to pass Biaggi to take the win (although too often when Biaggi was on the ground).

The battle between Rossi and Biaggi was epic, even if the final results seem rather one-sided. There was the elbow/bird incident. There was the fistfight. There were fan camps. There were expressions of grandeur before and after the races. There were psychological games galore.

Sure, if you're a Suzuki fan, there wasn't much to cheer about ('cept maybe Valencia), but for everyone else, it was a very engaging series. Even the KR3 had it's moments.

das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 07:35 AM   #24
das
Founding Member

I'm expecting a rather large gap between the 4-strokes and the 2-strokes... I'm just not sure which way it'll be to start with. Depends on how much development they can do on the 4-strokes over the winter. Either way, the race results will (unfortunately, IMO) be heavily affected by the machinery.

I'm guessing that, under the current regulations, the 4-strokes would eventually win out, but they may alter the regs again before that comes to fruition.

Old 10-26-2001, 09:40 AM   #25
ricci
Founding Member

sure 4 strokes may be nearly as good,but they can't recreate the 2stroke character.its sad not having 2 strokers.......

ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 09:58 AM   #26
borgNSR
Founding Member

Default Rossi won't ride it!!! Won't sign with Honda yet.

Euronews reports Rossi calls the 4 stroke's chassis a child's toy, and wants to have the choice of which bike to ride next year. Honda seems to want to make that call. Rossi thinks he can beat it on the 500, Honda doesn't want to let him try. Typical Honda, wouldn't even let Chris Walker change the position of the clip ons, levers or pegs.

This might be the question for next year: Can Rossi switch teams to a non-Honda squad and win? Will Honda cripple their 2 strokes with iffy development committment, dare we say anti-development? Will they totally f. it up and make another RC45?

I gotta hear this Euronews?

borgNSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 10:05 AM   #27
das
Founding Member

When I'm watching the races, and I mention Rossi, my wife always says "You mean the one who looks like a monkey?"

You have to admit, when he's got his hair cut short and those long sideburns... he's got a certain similarity to a squirrel monkey.
Old 10-26-2001, 01:29 PM   #28
dwindhorst
Founding Member

No, man, you're dead right on the last count. Street-legal, post-millennial, performance two-strokes would be more fun than opposable-thumbers should be allowed to have, for all the reasons you mentioned, plus one: theoretically, since they're simpler -- traditionally, anyway -- they should be cheaper (unless EPA-ing them up would require gee-whiz unobtainium Dreamland tech). Back in the 70s I had a kitted Yamahooligan 360 enduro bike that was motard when motard wasn't cool; boy howdy, what a ride...

Speaking of which -- sort of -- what experience does anybody have with greymarket bikes, especially in -- gulp -- California? I've started asking around about how much trouble it would be to procure and license a new GasGas 250 2-stroke supermoto, and am getting nowhere.
dwindhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 09:24 PM   #29
norton888
Founding Member

The fact that Biaggi and Rossi don't like eachother, and despise being beaten by the other, made 500 all the more exciting. In World Superbike I thought the rivalries were not intense. At the end of the race Edwards, Bostrom, and Bayliss were all smiles and jokes and congratulations. No pouting, swearing, snide remarks, or sore losers. Just a big happy family. Boring.
norton888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 12:08 AM   #30
Coach
Founding Member

Default Importation

dwindhorst,

The first place to start looking if you want to import a bike is:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

Here they have the basics and links to other sites with the relevant info, such as a list of eligible vehicles.

I moved to France about 1 year ago and had sold my moto in the move. Once here, I spent plenty of time reviewing this material to form the base of my buying decision, with the idea of bringing whatever I bought here back to the US,so I know a little about it.

Basically, you need to satisfy NHTSA that the bike meets the FMVSS applicable to motos, and the EPA that the bike meets the air regulations. If you live in California, you'll probably need to show that the bike meets CA air standards before registering.

For a street bike, there are supposed to be labels on the frame indicating EPA and NHTSA compliance. On a foreign machine, they don't exist, so you can either try to get a letter from the manufacturer stating that even though the bike was made for a foreign market, it does meet NTHSA and EPA standards. I don't know how accomodating the mfgrs are in this regard.

The other possibility is to contact a registered importer (list on the NHTSA site) to import and certify the bike. One estimate I got for a BMW K100, from an outfit in CA, was $2200. And the BMW is on the compliant list (see the site again). For something not on this list, the price goes up because the importer has to certify from scratch.

For an off road machine it seems to be easier, but since plenty of people try to import street machines as 'racing' or 'off road', you may run into problems there, too.

Hope this is helpful. Here is another site about BMWs, but the info is relevant to anyone try to import:

http://www.bmwworld.com/bmw/importing.htm

Good luck,

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote