Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 10-01-2001, 12:52 PM   #1
zx6r-squid
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki to go GP racing in 2003

I thought that the FIM had just released the new rules saying 1000cc was the limit regardless of cylinders.

Next few years in motorcycle development are going to be great to watch.

oh yeah, First Post
zx6r-squid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2001, 01:00 PM   #2
evilgenius
Founding Member

First post!

It's just been confirmed by the WSC head honcho that changes will be made effective in '04, with one rule raising the limit to 1000cc regardless of the # of cylinders.

However, there will be a weight restriction based on the # of cylinders and also, a proprosed and probrably controversial rule has the SBK class using tires with tread!? What no slicks!?!? Yep, that's right, no slicks will be allowed - treaded tires only?

Another rule places restrictors on engines based on size (hello NASCAR). Found the information from http://www.amasuperbike.com/010930fimregs.htm

Another Kawasaki source claimed that the European report is not entirely true, so I guess Kawasaki pulling out of WSC may be premature. They, however, will field a GP bike in '03...
evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 01:02 PM   #3
evilgenius
Founding Member

You must'va posted while I was putting finishing touches on mine so you win the first post title.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:22 PM   #4
RobM
Founding Member

Interesting rule changes, and should make for great racing, but so far away in time! My Question: What are you calling WSC? What does that stand for? THe more usual acronyms are WSB, or SBK, and even SBK is a bit dodgy, i reckon...
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 06:01 PM   #5
evilgenius
Founding Member

I swore I saw WSC a few times and from what I've read, WSC stands for World Superbike Championship. In the past, when I've used SBK, people would ask me "Which series? The AMA, BSB (British Superbike Championship), or WSB (even WSC at times)?

You know, you had a good question so I wanted to find out what the "official" moniker was. According to the official website, www.motoonline.com/superbike, it looks like SBK is the official moniker. Guess I'll stick to using SBK from now on...
Old 10-02-2001, 05:42 AM   #6
das
Founding Member

Why not just WSBK? That should be clear to most people.

I'm not sure how the 'K' snuck in there, but it seems to be implanted in a lot of people's minds. Perhaps it makes more sense in some other language? In English, it seems like WSB or WSBC make the most sense...
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 07:29 AM   #7
john
Founding Member

The EA games calls it WSBK, for some reason
Old 10-03-2001, 05:47 AM   #8
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default Too Little, Too Late

Great, WSB is changing their rules for 2004, just in time for every major japanese manufacturer to have long deserted the series. WSB will be completely irrelevant at that point. For the last few years, some of the top riders in the world were content to stay in WSB instead of moving on to Grand Prix. Think that'll be like that starting next year?
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 10:41 PM   #9
goshow16
Founding Member

In World Superbike factory teams and riders say that 750cc fours can't compete with the 1000cc twins. In 2000, Haga proved them wrong on his Yamaha YZF-R750. In 2001 the AMA and All-Japan Superbike teams have proved them wrong with the Suzuki GSX-R750 winning and leading the championship. It is not the bike that is not competetive, it is the rider. All of the best riders are on 1000cc twins right now. If they get some better riders on the 750cc fours they wouldn't be complaining and crying about a rules change, it's as simple as that.
goshow16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 01:19 PM   #10
lilmatty
Founding Member

The question I have is wether or not Kawasaki will use the new technology to update their sport-bikes, I'm Green all the way but it hurts to know that the zx-9 can't keep up with the GSXR, R-1 and the new 929. I'm holding off buying a new bike untill the Kawa gets in line, the ZX-12 is nice but I want something that can beat the Gixxer.

Any news?
lilmatty is offline   Reply With Quote