Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 08-10-2001, 04:19 AM   #11
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Let's not get carried away here....

Katja is a cute girl, but she's no Anna Kournikova.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2001, 04:27 AM   #12
hindle
Founding Member

Default Re: Katja

RRocket is right. Both Kat and Walker got chances to race GP simply because the people that were involved in getting them the rides wanted to attract attention to the sport. WSBK in England is more popular then GP's. So let's get one of the top Brit riders in GP and see if we can't remedy that. Kat, an attractive female. Hell, that's going to bring all kinds of attention to the sport.

With that said, I'm not trying to knock either of them. They both of tons more racing experience then me and could spank me anywhere anytime. That is besides the point. Anyone (including the riders) can see that they got their rides because of who they are and where they came from versus an impressive resume full of race wins and championships. That is a fact. Period.

It would be nice to see Kat up there kicking everyones butt. I would love to see her podium or just run upfront and make people drop their jaws.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 04:33 AM   #13
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

"Deserve." Now there is an irrelevant word in this conversation. You can use that word in relation to awards and such, but in terms of landing a ride it is utterly irrelevant. The only thing that matters is exposure. I read an article in forbes a year or so ago about a guy who works for a marketing firm. He takes NASCAR films and goes through them fram by frame and creates reports for his clients showing how much exposure they got (in terms of seconds on screen and how clear the shot was) and then compares that to standard ad rates during the program.

It is generally thought that winning puts your logo on screen most often, but that is not necessarily the case. Either way, Katja will get more exposure than anybody outside the top three, which means in marketing terms, she is a top three-ish rider at rock bottom prices.

Racing is not about the public good. It is not about "giving rides to those who deserve them." It is not egalitarian. It is about profit and loss for the sponsors.

BTW, looks are really subjective. I disagree with somebody earlier - I think Katja is hotter than Kournikova. But maybe that is because of my aggravating experiences with Russians.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 04:47 AM   #14
kwh
Founding Member

In her defence, in 1999 she was very definitely on the wrong brand of tyre. Compare her results with those of other riders stuck on the same rubber at the time and her numbers look really rather good. In 2000 she was riding a Gixxer 750, a motorcycle which at most circuits struggled to compete with the dominant Yamaha R1 and even Fireblade competition. She holds the class lap record at one of the Italian circuits, can't remember which one.

There does also appear (warning possible sexist comment alert!) to be a gender difference in her approach to riding. She appears to have a history of taking the time to get into the groove with a new bike in a new class, and rather than doing the Xaus thing - and crashing 5 times every weekend for the first season - she just isn't a front runner when she first starts competing in a class. Not many men seem to have a track-record for propping up the field one year and then showing them the way home the next, but Katja does and has done it all through her career, although less dramatically more recently. Given that track-record, assessing her potential on a 250GP bike halfway through her first season on one strikes me as a little rash.

Despite all that, she's qualified with a not-brilliant customer Aprilia, and put it not-last on the grid, for every race in her first half-season in the 250 GP class, often on circuits she has never ridden before, and while carrying a serious shoulder injury for many of the races. I think she's there on merit, at least as much as almost anybody is there on merit. When riders like Jeremy McWilliams need to wait until they are 38 and perform impossible miracles year after year after year on dog-slow privateer bikes before getting offered a works bike that nobody much else wants (the Aprilia 500 twin), and then only because British TV company Channel 5 ponied up the money, you have to ask what merit has to do with who rides what in MotoGP. There are enough people out there on full works Aprilias in 250 (and works NSR Hondas in the 500s) who obviously don't deserve those rides on 'merit', but have them because they have either a Japanese or Spanish passport and yet who are finishing behind other people riding inferior equipment, week after week. If MotoGP was a meritocracy, half the field would be out of a job.

Old 08-10-2001, 06:34 AM   #15
gTsiros
Founding Member

Default all is nice, but the photo link is broken!

whaaaaa!

*ahem*

*getting grip on myself*

Say, how fit do i have to be to ride a bike (of the 600cc range)? I am not muscular but i am not weak either... in gym terms...

gTsiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 06:36 AM   #16
gTsiros
Founding Member

Default ...and now it isn't... Opera is acting up on me.

hrmpf
gTsiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 07:45 AM   #17
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default For sure

You tell em Abe. Kournikova is the best looking female athlete of all time.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 08:38 AM   #18
cbr919
Founding Member

Default Re: For sure

I wasn't saying Katja was better looking than Anna. Far from it, I'm saying Katja is the Anna K. of motorcycle racing to use an analogy.

Anna is hot! She's got a body just built for "effing". She looks like the sexy on the outside, dirty tramp on the inside type of girl, hahaha.

I could care less if Anna ever won anything. Look at that girl's body. Flawless! Her mom is kinda hot too. I mean, I doubt this girl will ever get an ounce of cellulite on her tight body.

cbr919

I need a cold shower!

cbr919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 08:54 AM   #19
hola
Founding Member

Default error. Superstock is NOT supersport

No, The Euro superstock is NOT like the AMA supersport by a Loooong shot. It is complelty different class and moreover the superstock cannot stand alone, thus it is a "support" class, between races. Press or TV coverage is nearly non existant. Which is why most aspiring pros race supersport, at a local than at a European level.
hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 08:55 AM   #20
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default HER BODY'S BUILT FOR WHAT!?!?!?

J/K, I guess the thought has crossed my mind once or twice----or 500---times.

Yeah, Anna's got it where it counts. I love russian and russian accents too, so she drives me absolutely nuts. Flawless body, long blond mane, the *cutest* face, beautiful tan, and a hot temper with which to spit insults at you in her native tongue. If only I could tame that tiger so she would whisper sweet nothings into my ear with her thick, beautiful, iron-curtain accent......

"She just dislikes me so much........It's irresistable."----------George Costanza
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote