Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 06-03-2001, 05:14 PM   #1
alanheng
Founding Member

Default Re: What Kenny Roberts Jr Says

What a pompous ass!!!

"At least I was racing for victory instead of sixth place!"..................

That's a pretty cheap shot at Rossi. We all know that if Rossi's team didn't want him to focus on the Championship, he'd be going balls-to-the-wall at every race.

Poor sportsmanship is far too prevalent today.

(first post)
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2001, 06:02 PM   #2
rog
Founding Member

I don't get that. Though it's _possible_ that's what krj meant, it's yet more likely he was referring to his own peformances year to day, where starts well and then goes backwards to 6th or 7th. What's too prevalent today is not giving someone the benefit of the doubt and taking everything said in the worst possible light.

jeez

p.s. pompous and childish is also the little first post 'victory' claims.
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 06:06 PM   #3
acruhl
Founding Member

I agree, how in the heck is that to be taken as a cheap shot? Roberts and Rossi are friends. I think what he was saying was "I was a bit more fortunate than I have been in the past".

What kind of candyasses do we have hanging around here anyway?
acruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 09:14 PM   #4
kamagi
Founding Member

I completely agree with you, KR.Jr probably meant that his past performance in early season races. I have been watching and reading all his interviews in the past and he would never put other fellow racers down in anyway.
kamagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 12:20 AM   #5
colin
Founding Member

I agree entirely with the explanation (the comment was directed at his performaces to date this year and not Rossi), but Roberts has a wild side too. Remember the Portugese GP last year? He deliberately ran into a backmarker while dicing with McCoy for the lead. He later ranted about backmarkers stating "These guys are in the bubble. They don't see flags, other riders, nothing. They shouldn't be out there." He tacitly admitted that he intended to run the guy off the track. Roberts is a nice guy, but there's some wild stuff in there too....
colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 05:00 AM   #6
Louwtjie
Founding Member

*hehe*

Rossi is a kid ... even though he's probably one of the best riders in the world ... he's italian, he was behind Cappa en Max, what's he going to do ... sit in 6,7 or 8 and get a couple of points ... at a Italian circiut !? No ways. He over-cooked it big time. Doohan will have a few words with him after that !

Roberts ... don't like him, most of the top superbike riders will wip his ass ( after his comment that the best riders in the world will now be on 4 strokes ). Jeeze, for starters, Colin beat him in the US. He's a smooth carefull rider ... will always be good, but not great.

In the race, due to the rain, power was relative. Kenny is a good rider, and his style makes him a great wet rider ... even with that, he wouldn't have finished in first have he stayed on 2 wheels.

So, why was he world champion last year ? Don't know... most of the contenders was too inconsistent... but this year ( after winning the previous one ), he complains that the Suzi is not up to the job. Look like it did just fine last year ... and seeing that most of the guys are riding bikes that are the same as last ... what's going on now ?

Could it be that the new guns ( up from 250 ) and the front runners got a wakeup call ? Shape up or ship out ... there is a 4-stroke GP1 grandprix coming ... and owning a team ( being part of one ) are going to be a very good thing for the old wallet !

Cheers.
Louwtjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 05:07 AM   #7
FieryErmine
Founding Member

You're insane. This year's Suzuki has a new engine and a new chassis and they're having some problems dialing it in. The bike was delivered late.

Roberts won the most races last year. Gibernau isn't anywhere near him, neither was Aoki. The Suzuki isn't a great bike, and Roberts does well on it. Give the guy his due. He's the champ.

Robin.
FieryErmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 05:59 AM   #8
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

It pains me to see KR struggling with a bike that is clearly not up to the Honda and Yamaha competition.

It also amazes me to see these idiots claim that he is anything less than a great rider. The Suzuki has never been the match of the Hondas and rarely the match of the Yamahas, yet KR has racked up a good number of victories in two years. He is a great rider. He's a thinking rider with the mind of an engineer.

As for his statement, you'd need to be rather dense to not see it for what it was: The World Champ sick of being midpack this year. It always feels better to be racing for a win than racing for a midpack spot and it is even worse when your plate says #1.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 06:33 AM   #9
CrustyOldFart
Founding Member

Dude, you're jumping to conclusions here. Kenny has been frustrated the entire season to date by starting fast and hard, then using up his tires and being forced to "race for sixth place".

I agree that poor sportsmanship is far too common in athletics today -- that topic and reasons therefor could be debated endlessly. It amazes me though, that you could have such clarity on that issue and not realize that your own comments emerge from the same self-centeredness and, dare I say it, pomposity.

Think before you type, my friend.
CrustyOldFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 07:23 AM   #10
hawker
Founding Member

Actually, KR had been talking very openly about how his bike wasn't up to snuff a few races ago (might've been at Brands, or Monza), and until the team got its 'logistics' together so that they started getting what they need from development, he didn't see how he could improve.

That's what he's talking about, not VRossi. All things being equal, VRossi might very well be responsible for KR being second instead of first, but it's the bike that is responsible for KR 'racing for 6th' rather than for the podium.

If you think about it for a while, you'll remember that KR has slagged off on other racers like never, so I think you need to reinterpret.

hawker is offline   Reply With Quote