Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 04-23-2001, 12:12 AM   #11
colin
Founding Member

Default Re: South African GP Results - 500 class

Not sure what happened to the SBK race results, but this is what I know. The first race was won by Edwards, with Okada second and Bayliss third, Yanagawa fourth, Corser sixth. Held in very heavy rain, with an oil slick the length of the front straight from lap 6. Only 10 finishers. There was a lot of discussion between riders if the first race should have been held at all, as the rain was very heavy and there was a strong wind lifting the front wheel at several corners.

The already terrible conditions deteriorated even more during the interval, with very low light conditions and torrential rain. It was decided to cancel the second race, as the conditions were so bad.
colin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2001, 04:28 AM   #12
dickdastardly
Founding Member

That was a nasty looking race, lot's of

crashing and sliding about. Edwards may

be a dork, but he just pulled away from

everybody. Very impressive ride.
dickdastardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 06:10 AM   #13
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

They say that rain is the great equalizer. with Colin walking away from everybody it shows that the RC51 ia RC45-like in that if it is set up wrong it is very hard to ride successfully.

Put another way: Colin isn't whining when he said in other races that they had tire or some other problem that held his speed down. The bike really does need to be right or else it can't go fast. That he could overcome such awful conditions so dramatically better than others shows his ability.

I really wish Suzuki would give Kenny a bike worth riding. He'd probably be faster on Chili's bike.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 07:37 AM   #14
das
Founding Member

I dunno... seems to me Kenny is trying like hell. He said before the race that he thought his only chance was to get in front early, since it's so difficult to pass at that track. He did what he needed to do, and tried his best to fend off the others, but his bike just wasn't up to the task.

On-bike video is awesome, but some of the helicopter views are the most telling. They showed Roberts pulling away (slightly) from Rossi in almost every corner, only to be swallowed again as soon as they got on the power again. How many times did McCoy (and later Abe) almost rear-end Rossi mid corner?

Not to take anything away from Rossi, though; he ran a smart, dominant race. He happily followed Roberts through the first half of the race, preserving his tires and waiting for the front end to come alive. Then, as soon as it looked like someone (Abe) was going to get away, he passed Roberts with ease, and left him for dead. He was in control of the race throughout.

Oh, how great it would be to see Roberts on a competitive bike going head-to-head with Rossi. I'm a Honda fan at heart, but I'm hoping Suzuki can pull themselves together and make a better bike for Kenny. Watching Rossi kick everyone else's behind every race will get old soon.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 08:08 AM   #15
BONGTOKER
Founding Member

Default Re: Rossi is super talented, but

Once again I called the race with Rossi winning and Haga crashing. What's up with Haga? He shouldn't be in the 500's yet. He is fast but only for about ten laps before he throws it down the road. Yamaha and Haga are stupid for leaving the WSBK for 500. At least in WSBK he would have had a chance of winning. In the 500's he is just a crash test dummy for Yamaha and the leather company he is using. Can't wait to see him on a four stroke with Dunlops.
BONGTOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 03:15 PM   #16
hola
Founding Member

Seems kenny needs to wake up. He does good starts only to hold people back (and let other catch up, like capirossi) and burn up his tires in the attempt. Still kenny is a contender.

Rossi did a fantastic race. Riding loose and confident. Great slides too.

Good thing there was no sign of Mouth, i mean, Max Biaggi.
hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 06:24 AM   #17
dickdastardly
Founding Member

Default Re: Rossi is super talented, but

yes, but he's learning the tracks, so next year

he will be on an equal footing with the other four

stroke riders.
dickdastardly is offline   Reply With Quote