Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 04-11-2001, 11:21 AM   #1
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default Hmmm

By increasing the brightness, you can see what looks like a regular sized radiator in the front to me. The thing under the seat "looks" to be small from the pic that you can see it in. I'd venture to say some sort of telemetry equipment just for testing, that or some ECU for the crazy engine. It doesn't look like there are any intakes for a second radiator, and it also looks quite void under the tail of the bike.

The swingarm is substantially larger on one side, thought that was odd, but I haven't noticed what the current Honda GP bike's swingarm looks like in particular.

Rob
RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2001, 11:30 AM   #2
torresmr
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda RC211V V-5 Pictures

Awesome...! things are starting to move...! I canÂ’t wait to next season...! 2 strokes against these 4 strokes monsters... nice...!

Good jobs guys...! Keep the info flowing...!

M.
torresmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 11:59 AM   #3
ASICKVFR
Founding Member

All I know is that they had better stuff that V5 motor in the next generation VFR, or I may be trading my trusty steed for a Blackbird next year!!
ASICKVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 12:31 PM   #4
stevegrab
Founding Member

What's with that bizarre side-saddle riding style? Is that going to part of the rule changes?

Looks pretty nice, and should be fun to follow the development of these bikes over the next year or two.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 12:39 PM   #5
hindle
Founding Member

Looks like they are running a dry clutch.

I can't imagine that hunk of metal under the seat is a raditor. It doesn't look like it has any cooling fins and it's in a location that won't get much ventaliation.

I think rob is right on. Probably telemetry or computer for the engine.

hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 12:54 PM   #6
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Buddies of mine (in-da-press) say that the engine was reported to be 825 cc because honda believed it gave the right amount of power/size/weight. 230 HP from 825 cc? That's ridiculous, and at 320 lbs. That is crazy. That fairing looks wicked too but not really aerodynamic when you include the rider.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 12:56 PM   #7
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmmm

Man whip out the microscope. I can't see any of those details.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 01:05 PM   #8
VR1000racer
Founding Member

Hate to say this, but on the www.2wf.com web site, one of the photo's shows the "box" in question, and it appears to be an engine management system, or ECM (Engine Control Module). My belief on this is due to the fact that there seems to be a limited number(or no) sensors mounted on the suspension. These sensors would normally include linear potentiometers for measuring suspension extension rate and strok length, wheel speeds, etc. I don't see any of this on the RC211V.

Also, if you look at Honda GP bikes, typically their in-house telemetry control module is typically an anodized or zinc chromate plated box mounted on either frame rail, and has either 2 or 3 cannon plugs running to it. On this bike, that would equate in position to roughly the left or right side rear edge of the middle fairing sections.

Oh well, so much from the ramblings from a bored electrical engineer who still hopes to see the VR1000 win a race this year!

Can't wait until next year when I have a reason to watch GP's again. Also, I recomend checking out the Drysdale V-8 web site. They have a sound clip of the 1957 Moto Guzzi V-8 500cc 4 stroke bike with the 90 degree or "staggered" crank. It will send chills up and down your spine!

VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 01:12 PM   #9
torresmr
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmmm

IÂ’ve found a few videos. They are not from the Honda. They are from the Yamaha.

I thought you might like them.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/MotorcycleR...4strokeSpy.htm

http://www.mcnews.com.au/MotorcycleR...a4stroke_2.htm
Old 04-11-2001, 01:13 PM   #10
torresmr
Founding Member

IÂ’ve found a few videos. They are not from the Honda. They are from the Yamaha.

I thought you might like them.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/MotorcycleR...4strokeSpy.htm

http://www.mcnews.com.au/MotorcycleR...a4stroke_2.htm