Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 04-12-2001, 11:27 PM   #41
BammBamm
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda RC211V V-5 Pictures

Bigger cylinders, more mass. There is an ideal balance between bore size/stroke/piston speed/friction, and Honda thinks it is close to the RC45's size. I think they just added another cylinder of the same size, and have a counterbalancer to offset the unbalance. Two cylinders up into the frame where narrowness counts, three below.

If the bigger cylinders worked, Harley's would be rocketships, but that aint the case.
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2001, 04:04 AM   #42
Hafmo
Founding Member

A couple of thoughts. Adding a balance shaft will rob some power and add a little weight, but by making the engine vibrate less the supporting structure doesn't have to be as strong (heavy.) Might be a push from a performance standpoint. As far as using the RC45 as a starting point, it never was all that successful as a race bike. Koscinski managed one championship with it, but that was it. That was a lot of money invested by Honda with not much to show for it.
Hafmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2001, 05:10 AM   #43
DataDan
Founding Member

Default Balancing a V5

I don't buy the idea of differently sized cylinders to accomplish balance. Here's another possibility.

Note on the widely circulated photo of the motor that the back cylinders are widely spaced, positioned slightly inboard relative to the outboard front cylinders. That indicates a common crankpin, just like the VF, VFR, RC30, RC45, and just about every other V4 ever made.

The middle front cylinder is then the odd man out. Anyone here familiar with the Ducati Supermono? It's a single based on their 90-degree twin. Only one of the cylinders isn't a cylinder at all. It's just a hole with a mass attached to a connecting rod to balance out the real piston. Perfect primary balance in a single, and thus the ability to rev like crazy without shaking itself to pieces.

My guess is that Honda employs a similar trick in the rear cylinder bank to achieve balance.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2001, 06:31 AM   #44
draz
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmmm

I'm pretty sure the only reason the swingarm looks bigger on one side is that right side has the cut out for the chain.
draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2001, 09:30 AM   #45
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default Sound

Someone said that it sounded a lot like a large, angry V-twin, which could imply a lot about the firing order. Big bang theory for traction? Interesting stuff! Keep us updated, MO!
Old 04-13-2001, 10:12 AM   #46
Bob
Founding Member

what's all that knocking sound?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 12:33 PM   #47
tlogan
Founding Member

Default Re: Balancing a V5

I am not an engineer and not motor builder either. But I am not sure I buy this either, why add and additional mass of metal in the middle of the engine for balance an evan number of cylinders??? I read many articles on the Supermono, and that certainly was a excellent engineered motor...I agree completely with you on the duc. Anyone heard how many RPM's this motor is supposed to turn? This may answer alot of questions.

tlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 01:33 PM   #48
BammBamm
Founding Member

It wasn't successful against bikes with a 250cc advantage. Everything is even in GP rules as far as 4 strokes are concerned. Honda was very successful against the other 750's.
Old 04-14-2001, 01:36 PM   #49
BammBamm
Founding Member

Default Re: Balancing a V5

That sounds interesting. With all the other cylinders, the balancer could be light and relatively negligable. Someone's thinking...
Old 04-14-2001, 06:06 PM   #50
dg_az
Founding Member

Default Re: RC 211v Rear end pics

I'd guess that the aluminum(?) box under the seat is the oil tank. Undoubtedly it's a dry sum engine.
dg_az is offline   Reply With Quote