Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 04-12-2001, 10:34 AM   #31
CyberJonesy
Founding Member

Default Numbers not pictures!!!

It's not about pictures ,it's about numbers!!!
CyberJonesy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2001, 11:36 AM   #32
torresmr
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda RC211V V-5 Pictures

You are welcome...
torresmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 11:40 AM   #33
hindle
Founding Member

I think you got a good point.

Not that I am an engine builder either but it would make sense to me that anytime you have an odd number of cylinders in a V configuration the cylinder sizes will vary to balance the engine.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 12:30 PM   #34
Bob
Founding Member

Is there a rule that says all cylinders need to be the same displacement??
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 01:35 PM   #35
chainhead
Founding Member

Jeez...how do you BALENCE a V-5? Counterbalencers?...not likely, they rob power. Pistons of different masses? larger slugs for the bank of two? Seems a logical but odd way to go about it. This thing is as weird as a three headed dog.
chainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 03:07 PM   #36
torresmr
Founding Member

Everybody is trying to figure out how to make a V5 work... well... ask VW group. They are currently selling some of their cars with such engine. I know thatÂ’s no race engine, but for what IÂ’ve read is supposed to work really good. That engine is a narrow V. It is basically the same engine as the VR6 but with one less cylinder. As a matter of fact itÂ’s called VR5.

Due to the fact that the VR5 engine has a narrow V configuration, all the stresses are greatly minimized. And itÂ’s behavior falls between the one of a V engine, and an inline engine.

Obviously the engine from Honda has a bigger V, but that not something it can not be taken care of with the proper firing, and a properly design balance shaft (which yes they rob power, but they also smooth the power delivery). Or, as some people is pointing, with pistons of different sizes.

These new engines are going to have so much power anyway, that I donÂ’t think the engineers mind loosing a little bit in favor of a smother power delivery (which is the main advantage of these engines vs. the 2 strokes).

I can wait until the start releasing more info about these new "toys".
torresmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 04:21 PM   #37
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

NOPE!!!
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 04:22 PM   #38
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Read above post....
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 06:52 PM   #39
samboe64
Founding Member

I would think it would be easier for Honda to bore an RC45 motor (as a starting point) to meet the horsepower they need to achieve for GP racing. That basic configuration has won Honda a lot of races and they wouldn't have to deal with higher displacement bikes as in AMA Superbike. Anyone agree with me?

Guess it's not Honda's way.
samboe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 10:21 PM   #40
BammBamm
Founding Member

Engine balancing has nothing to do with the size of the cylinders. It has to do with phasing, weight and couterbalancing via the crank and coutershafts. The Modenas is a V-3, and all the cylinders are the same size. If your theory is correct, the single would be double the size of the other two cylinders in the v, and that is simply not correct. In fact if the cylinders are different sizes, the power pulses would be of varying magnitudes making the engine very difficult to balance with varying speeds and throttle openings. It makes more sense that the cylinders would all be the same size and that the engine uses a complex phasing balancing process. There is no primary balance anyway as the V isn't 90 degrees.
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote