Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 04-08-2001, 07:49 AM   #1
RRocket
Founding Member

Default Re: 250/125cc Japanese GP results

Hey MO...no mention of Katja's domination in 125 GP? (snicker, snicker). Was she actually there? Just wondering.....
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2001, 09:37 AM   #2
colin
Founding Member

Sure she was there. She finished dead last and was lapped by Katoh. But she qualified (which 3 other riders failed to do) and she finished, which a stack of other riders didn't manage. I did the MO interview with Katja last year and from the way she described her approach to racing, today's GP will be repeated for her many times this year. Next season she'll start kicking macho ass!!
colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 02:45 PM   #3
ckirk
Registered Member

Yep she was there but on a 250. Considering she had a whopping # of about 3 laps on a borrowed 250 @ Jerez(?) under her belt & she was riding on a track she's never seen, just finishing ain't bad.
ckirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2001, 04:27 PM   #4
RRocket
Founding Member

I really doubt that. By looking at her web-site, she never truly did kick ass...even against lesser opponents. I will stand by my statement....the only reason she is in GP is because she has 2 things men don't...and they're both above her waist....
Old 04-08-2001, 04:27 PM   #5
RRocket
Founding Member

I really doubt that. By looking at her web-site, she never truly did kick ass...even against lesser opponents. I will stand by my statement....the only reason she is in GP is because she has 2 things men don't...and they're both above her waist....If there ever was an undeserving ride doled out in GP, this is it......
Old 04-08-2001, 04:45 PM   #6
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

This is sort of a quibble, but it bears comment just for the significance: What order were the races run in? More importantly, which was Honda's true 500th GP victory? The races I saw in Austria back in '93 had the 250s first and the 125s last, which would give that rider and bike the wreath. How did they do it at this round?

Still thinking about gray-marketing (VERY gray, I fear) an NSR250, although I wonder if my big Midwestern butt would fit on one.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 03:04 AM   #7
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default well

I have to agree to some extent. She really did have almost zero time in the seat of her new bike, but that said, she never even did good in World Supersport. Usually people move up, because they are winning, or finishing close to first a lot, but she rarely finished in the top 5 from what I have read.

Rob
RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 03:05 AM   #8
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default 125, then 250, then 500, pretty standard procedure (NT)

RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 07:35 AM   #9
hola
Founding Member

Default NOT TRUE

[b]BS !! She was at Jerez, Valencia AND Estoril. All tracks she KNOWS well.
</p>

hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 10:38 AM   #10
colin
Founding Member

Default Re: well

First of all, Katja deserves some slack. Last season she rode Superstock (on a Gixxer750 like you Rob!) and not Supersports. She ended up 6th. in the championship, with a high runner of 2nd. at Misano. True, she was a member of the richest (read most powerful) team in the paddock and there were rumours of some very unstock components on her stock Gixxer, but she can ride a bike fast. She is now at GPs because Dorna bought her to steal one of SBKs major assets. She'll get some mid-field placings later in the season and more consistently so next year. World Champion? Nah!

Walker is at GPs for same reason. Only European country where SBK is really popular is UK, so Dorna needed a British rider to spite SBK. They do a lot of matchmaking. Don't worry, it works both ways, hence Juan Borja on a Infostrada Ducati at the cost of Ben Bostrom last season, to get a few paying visitors to the race at Valencia (didn't work, the place was seriously empty).

The politics of sport.... Thank God there is still some good racing.
colin is offline   Reply With Quote