Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 03-21-2001, 02:40 AM   #11
hindle
Founding Member

Default Re: Ukawa Sets the Pace at Suzuka GP Test

I'm sorry I have to disagree with you on that one. I am a GSXR fan and a fan of Matt M but that really doesn't have anything to do with it.

I think right now is the perfect time for Matt to go overseas and he knows it! Which is why I believe he has a bit of a bitter attitude towards the GP and WSBK series. With only a few real good riders in both series, Matt could stand a chance to win a championship with the right team. I mean who are the major players in WSBK? Bostrom, Baylis and let's not forget the defending champ Edwards. Maybe another 1 or 2 that I can't think of right now. You can bet neither Bostrom or Baylis want to see Matt in the WSBK cause he has beaten both.

In the GP's you got Roberts, Rossi, Mad Max, Haga looks to be fast as well. Like or not these are the only guys who will be there in the end. Maybe McCoy as well. Everyone else can cut fast laps here and there but they won't do it all season long and that is why they won't win a championship. With that in mind I don't see why with the right team Matt wouldn't be successful in the GP's or WSBK. Especiallly WSBK as he has raced and beaten most of the top dogs there!

The AMA series is 2nd only to the WSBK and GP's which is not to shabby when you think of all the other series out there. Britt, Canadian, Japan, Aussie. All these countries have an AMA equal but none get the coverage like the AMA.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2001, 02:52 AM   #12
hindle
Founding Member

On another note I'm sure Matt likes his Yosh contract but I think he would rather be somewhere else. Like along side Roberts in the GP's. From some of the interview's I've read with Matt he seems quite pissed about certains things. Comments about other riders getting rides simply because of the country they are from. I think this was mainly directed at Roberts new teammate Sete G. There sponser is from Spain and I believe so is Sete. I read somewhere about the fact that they have a Spanish sponser (telefonica) and now they have a Spanish rider to go with it. Not to take anything away from Sete but I believe Matt thinks that should be his ride and he could be right. At the same time I'm sure he is content to stay here and go for a third championship.
Old 03-21-2001, 02:55 AM   #13
revs
Founding Member

Mat has a cushy job in AMA. He probably could compete with the top dogs but after reading some of his interviews, sounds like he is content with staying stateside and planning on retiring in a few years and rasing a family. I think he will milk AMA series for as long as he can and who can blame him. Although it would be exciting to see him and his personality to rub elbos with the likes of either GP or SBK folks like Baylis, Edwards, Corser, Rossi, Roberts.
revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 05:19 AM   #14
Haga
Founding Member

Wow! You remember all the testing times from last year?
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 05:23 AM   #15
Haga
Founding Member

Mat didn't do to well in the GP world. He used to race for Cagiva on a team with John Kocinski and some other big name rider(can't remember but I'm sure I'll feel stupid when someone else does). Part of that was attributed to him going from Australian SBK to 500GP right away, part because the team was supposedly focused on Kocinski, and part because Cagiva was not that great a team. I think Mat would have to prove himself in WSBK before going to GP's. Suzuki seems in not too much of a hurry to move him up to the world level(taking Chambon instead to WSBK). Maybe they know something we don't.
Old 03-21-2001, 05:33 AM   #16
Haga
Founding Member

Uh, how about Bayliss, Corser, Edwards, Okada, Laconi, Lavilla, Chili, and maybe Bostrom as contenders in WSBK. Bostrom has done well in 2 or 3 races... not necessarily a contender by most measures. Yanagawa does well in 2 or 3 a year and ends up between 4th and 7th most of the time. Same with Chili. When did Mladin ever beat Bayliss? When Bayliss crashed out? Who held pole in that race anyway? Oh yeah, Bayliss. Mladin would be a second rider on just about any WSBK team... bottom line.

As for GP's... you listed a couple big names but forgot people like Harada, Carlos Checa, Criville, and a few others. All those guys you listed as well as the above 2(minus Criville) was a race winner last year. 500 GP was as competitive as AMA Supersport last year. Criville is also a former world champ(albiet in the post-Doohan era). Mladin did poorly in GP's which is why he's ticked at them. That and they focused on Kocinski(a 250 GP world champ) more than him. I think the big fish in a little pond thing is right on target.
Old 03-21-2001, 06:02 AM   #17
hindle
Founding Member

I mentioned Bayliss and Edwards. Ok you got me on Corsor. Forgot him. He will be tough if his run at Valancia is an indication of the rest of the season.

Okada is a question mark. Yes the guy can ride but he is on a new bike and only time will tell what he can do in the long run. Chili is also fast but crashes to much. He could have given Haga and Edwards a real run for their money last season but he can't keep the rubber side down long enough to stay healthy. Bostrom can ride but he takes a slow approach to improvement. He is consistant and doesnt crash much which is what you need to win a championship people blow him off way to fast. He will be a contender this year. So again my point is there are only a handful of guys. Edwards, Corsor, Baylis, Bostrom and maybe Okada. The rest run good here and there but will not be in the hunt at the end of the year.

Yes Bayliss had the pole at Daytona and crashed out. Beat nonetheless. Matt had his number anyway. I don't think it would have mattered. Matt was going to win that race. I just disagree with you about Matt being 2nd rate on a WSBK team. I think that is just obsurd. It's ok if you don't like him but to say such things is crazy.

As far as GP it's the same thing. Roberts, Rossi, and Mad Max are going to be the main contenders running for the championship at the end of the year. Criville was done last year. He must have crashed at every race. It's quite evident that Mick played a big role on that team and Criville was lucky to win the championship the year Mick got hurt. He is going nowhere fast. You will see. Checa can win for sure but I just don't see him fighting for the championship at the end of the year. Harada...yeah right. He might win one but he ain't gonna beat anyone for the championship. So again you got Roberts, Rossi, Mad Max and maybe Haga. His ride in WSBK last year was quite impressive. It's to bad what happened to him. Would have liked to see him and Edwards go at it in the last round for the championship. Time will tell if he can do the same in GP's.

I don't think the pond is that small. With guys like Roberts, Nicky, Gobert (if he can keep his act together long enough) DuHamel he isn't going to just have his way. He worked hard for both championships. He won because he is consistant and applys pressure on his competitors during the entire season. I don't think he wants to be here but is content to stay until something better comes along. That of course is just my opinion.
Old 03-21-2001, 12:38 PM   #18
cburns
Founding Member

I don't want to argue for the sake of arguing, but those AMA guys you mentioned; Roberts, Nicky, Gobert have all made it known that they eventually want to move on to the Worlds or GP. Mladin, on the other hand, has said publicly that he has no desire to move past the AMA. I can't remember when he said it, but I know it was a pre-race interview with Larry Maiers on Speedvision. I want to say it was last year at Colorado Springs....don't hold me to that.

Personally, if Suzuki thought Mat has SBK talent, they would have taken him a long time ago. I can never remeber who the 'b' rider is behind Chili - and I think we all agree that to be a 'b' rider on a major SBK or GP team is better than being an 'a' rider in the AMA.

Once again, the AMA series is great. I'll be rooting for Gobert to stay clean and win and for Roberts or Nicky to win the overall (it'd be cool to see Yates up there as well).
cburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 03:10 AM   #19
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

I gotta disagree with you. None of the interviews with Mladin have given me any reason to dislike him. I think he is a consummate professional. He ALWAYS congratulates his team and bike more than himself, which is more than I can say for some other riders.

As for him in WSB, maybe Suzuki knows that they can't win there with anybody on the bike, but they can win in the AMA, so they keep Mat here and get at least one championship. No need to move him to GP with Kenny there.

As for Mat, he is getting a sweet salary, less risk and less travel. He'd be crazy to be pushing to go back to the madness of Europe.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote