Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MotoGP (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motogp/)
-   -   Indy To Host Second U.S. GP In 2008? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motogp/4177-indy-host-second-u-s-gp-2008-a.html)

acecycleins 12-30-2006 06:46 AM

Re: Indy To Host Second U.S. GP In 2008?

Funny- doesn't every road course have an obstructed view when you think of it?

DaveFla 12-30-2006 05:35 PM

And what all the naysayers concerned about views of the track neglect to realize is that a casual fan like myself will STAY HOME AND WATCH TV if seeing all the action is the number one priority!

(With Indy being only a four-hour ride away, I'll tape it too, actually...)

Being there isn't and won't be about seeing. You simply can't beat a pro televised sports producer and a crew of camera operators with just your own two eyes and their single vantage point.

ksquid 12-30-2006 05:51 PM

Yep you are right.

mheyer 12-31-2006 06:12 AM

Have you ridden Barber? I have, and while the facilities are top notch, and the track is wide and interesting, the track is simply not fast enough. Miller on the other hand is a viable option.

mheyer 12-31-2006 06:14 AM

While Barber is prettier, the track is not fast enough. Great place, facilities, grounds, etc, but will never hold a MotoGP race.

mheyer 12-31-2006 06:16 AM

Hopefully the improvements currently being done on Road America would allow a MotoGP race - that is a fantastic track, and can accomodate the MotoGP machines. As I've written in this thread already, Barber, while very nice with great facilities is simply not fast enough. MotoGP will never be there...

mheyer 12-31-2006 06:18 AM

That last wall at Road Atlanta axes that track...maybe if they truly fix that. Barber isn't fast enough....

mheyer 12-31-2006 06:21 AM

+1 Well put. Without major gearing changes, my 750 doesn't get out of 4th at Barber....

I would hope for the improvements currently being done to Road America to allow MotoGP there - great track.

12er 12-31-2006 07:56 AM

Yep, I always tape the race when I'm at Laguna. Smell it, hear it and feel it, then go watch it at home and see everything I missed.

zelatore 12-31-2006 07:21 PM

As a native of Indiana with family who actually live in Speedway, I say this with love: Indy sucks as a track. I travel back to Indy annually for the F1 race (yes, even the 6-car fiasco...I was there for all of it) and it is without doubt the worst track they run on. Maybe Monaco is right there with it, but at least it has the yachts and glamor of the principality. Indiana has ... well, if you've been there much you'd understand why it's a good place to be FROM. I'd love to have another MotoGP race, just as I'd love to have a western F1 race. And yes, I understand the logistics that make Indy work. But let's face it - all these infield "road courses" pale compared to a real natural terain track. Better than nothing I guess, but don't get too excited expecting something the likes of Spa or even Road America.