Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 10-15-2006, 09:10 AM   #21
solotc
Founding Member

Default Re: MotoGP SPOILER!

ok. thats not a good argument. sete and loris have both had issues during the season. thats part of racing. rossi pulled it back, but pedrossa still handed him the championship
solotc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2006, 10:04 AM   #22
Jiffy
Registered Member

http://www.motomummy.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=20480

"I don't know what to say really - it just hurts," said a stunned Hayden. "I don't expect Dani to pull over and let me by but I definitely didn't expect him to do that. We're professionals and Dani did come to my motorhome and talk to me afterwards and we shook hands."

"What can I say? I made a mistake and I'm really sorry," offered Pedrosa. "It's the first time I've hit another rider in my career - it's never happened before in practice or racing in six years and it's happened at the worst moment that I could do it. Obviously I'm very unhappy and Nicky is not happy and I just want to apologise because I made a mistake. I said sorry to Nicky and I can understand that he is very upset – I wish I could change it. I didn't want to pass him at that moment. I braked and my rear wheel came off the ground and then it touched the ground again, I got a little more speed. I couldn't stop the bike and there was nowhere to go. I have a fracture in my little finger but we have time for it to be ok for Valencia."
Jiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #23
acecycleins
Founding Member

Exactly what? HRC srewed this one. Dani is a first class rider but Nicky had the line and Dani tried to stuff him. HRC SHOULD have told Dani not to race Nicky directly. It's for a world title! Nicky is supposed to be the team leader but how does one lead if you have no orders in situations like this? Nicky has every right to want to punch his teammate. It was a foolish move that could have been avoided. Now Nicky has to pull off the impossible. All hale the Doctor the 06 world champ. Sorry, Nicky.....
Old 10-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #24
pdad13
Founding Member

Please, of course you could argue what ifs until the end of time. That's not the point. This was something that was absolutely avoidable and should not have happened.

However the respective parties achieved their point totals, they were there. The outcome was ready to be decided. It's totally unfathomable that Hayden should be DNF'd by the willful disregard of his own team mate. It wasn't an engine failure. It wasn't Hayden's mistake (like Rossi made at Assen). It wasn't even a non-Honda rider that took him out.

It's not just simple a "racing incident." It was a remarkably reckless move by a rider with, ultimately, little to gain. And I'm sure that Honda feels the same way. I just doubt that they'd take any action against Pedrosa other than behind closed doors.

And if Hayden's clutch problems were real (which seems to be the case since it's been confirmed by just about everyone), it's a pretty serious problem. Imagine trying to chase down those guys with a bad clutch while trying not to blow the thing completely.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #25
schizuki
Founding Member

Jiffy, you don't seem to understand this situation. It has been explained to you. You are being obtuse.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #26
pdad13
Founding Member

From Crash.net (with apologies--read the whole thing there.)

"...Hayden falling at a crowded first corner, or suffering a mechanical failure, would have been plain bad luck and all a part of racing - but losing a world championship lead because of a team-mate's suicidal attack was plain stupidity and may cause Honda to review the wording of its 'no teams orders' rule. Certainly, it appears that Pedrosa will now have to help Hayden at Valencia..."

Julian Ryder had similiar, if not more damning, things to say.

Pedrosa can claim that he wasn't trying to pass him here, and perhaps he wasn't, but I doubt it. Regardless, there was no reason to even be that close where a small mistake could be disasterous.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #27
pdad13
Founding Member

Default By the way, I meant "harebrained"

Old 10-15-2006, 11:21 AM   #28
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: By the way, I meant

OK, but don't let it happen again. You just missed bad feedback by a hare's breath.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #29
schizuki
Founding Member

Not unless Rossi DNF's. Right?

Old 10-15-2006, 11:30 AM   #30
schizuki
Founding Member

"Regardless, there was no reason to even be that close where a small mistake could be disasterous."

Exactly. And perhaps the "no team orders" policy stems from the fact that anybody who's not Jiffy or a gerbil would have the common sense to get the hell out of the way of a teammate in the championship hunt.

So perhaps Honda will put up a poster in the paddocks saying, "Don't pass your points-leading teammate in the final races of the season. If your house is on fire, get out of it. And - we can't stress this enough - do not stick your face in a fan. "