Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 08-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #51
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: 2006 USGP TV Ratings on Speed Revealed

If your IQ is above 80 you don't qualify for a Nielson box. They try to pick people who are easily subject to hypnotic suggestion. (The 60 cycle speed of the pictures on TV act as a hypnotic carrier wave. This is why people stare at the thing for hours on end no matter how horrible the programming).

You've probably been checked out 'cause you own a Harley, though.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #52
Tigercub
Founding Member

So what does a 0.2 rating mean? Is that people that tuned in to watch the entire race?

I have a nephew who sits in front of the TV and scans through about 20 to 30 channels in about as many seconds, but only watches one of those channels for at most 5 minutes.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #53
ksquid
Banned

Yep I have wondered about the accuracy of Nielson ratings... May dad did the Arbiton diary once for som free groceries once... Of course if is a true random sample of folks.. statistically it should be a good predictor.. I wonder if Tivo sells their data to Networks.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #54
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I'm not sure how they handled that with the advent of channel surfing.

In radio they use what's called AQH (Average Quarter Hour share or sometimes referred to as cumes) which is why radio stations put on the most popular songs at the top of the hour and don't break until 20 minutes after. You pile up 15 minute listening blocks that way.

How long you watch or listen isn't as important as how many people listen which explains why stations play the same 10 songs over and over.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #55
ptarman
Registered Member

I'm usually out riding, sleeping, or working when the MotoGP broadcast comes on. But I record it on DVR and never miss a race. I have to admit that I usually don't watch AMA Supersport or Formula Extreme, but often watch World Superbike and AMA Superbike races.

But I *never* miss MotoGP. Used to watch F1, but doesn't seem to me as if anything ever happens on it anymore. All the F1 cars look alike, drivers are invisible, and all they do is go around the corners without sliding or leaning (and mostly) without crashing.

Phil Tarman

Ft. Morgan, CO

1999 Kawasaki Concours "Tumbleweed"

COG, CDA, IBA
Colorado AAD
'99 Concours "TumbleToo\"
CDA #0016
IBA # 5811: SS1000, BB1500
ptarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #56
ksquid
Banned

That hurt
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #57
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Red Fox

Scrag him too.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #58
cheddarlump
Founding Member

Personally, I was there, at the pits, talking with Nicky. It was so f'ing hot tho, OMFG, it was like 106 in the shade.
cheddarlump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #59
tripletango
Founding Member

Same as US football no one in the rest of the world gives a dam about it. Now real football where you actually use your feet to kick the ball -- an enormous following world wide.

Nascar in the rest of the world, no one could care less but MotoGP, a huge following -- far greater interest than any US racing series. F1 is even bigger.

In the rest of the world compared to these 2 series --- Indy car not much interest, Champ car what the heck is that etc. etc.
tripletango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #60
squidwardo
Founding Member

Around here you have to have the most expensive cable tier to even get Speed, and that runs around $50.00/mo. I know lots of guys who don't even have the expanded channels. Also, don't forget that in the U.S. a very small percentage of the American public rides motorcycles. Of those few people, how many do you think actually know about roadracing, let alone MotoGP. I suspect it is quite small.
squidwardo is offline   Reply With Quote