Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 03-01-2001, 02:30 PM   #1
DataDan
Founding Member

Default It may sound like fun to us...

...but to a racer, test riding is for, well, test riders. I'd bet that Kocinski is holding his nose and doing the job, hoping for a plum raceday assignment when the 4-strokes hit the track next year.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2001, 03:04 PM   #2
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default Re: JohnBoy Gets a Job

Hey, what's going on here??? you forgot to say "First Post!

anyway, Kocinski landed what has to be the tiits job of the motorcycle world. forget the fact that it doesn;t stand a chance against the 2strokes
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 03:35 PM   #3
CrustyOldFart
Founding Member

Well, just my opinion, but you need to check the lap times posted by Bostrom et al at last week's tests before you're so sure.

I believe he was faster than all of the GP bikes except KR JR.

I love 2 stroke GP bikes. I raced 2 strokes myself back when, but I still think 4 strokes will end up on top.

Let the games begin!
CrustyOldFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 08:12 PM   #4
RobM
Founding Member

Default Re: It may sound like fun to us...

When you can't (hold down a position that lets you?) race, you do the next best thing, surely? For we (or is it us?) who aren't or haven't been racers, it sounds like a fantastic job, but yes, it surely must be a step back in jonKoc's mind. That said, I have a huge amount of respect for the blokes that CHOOSE to test and develop, like that Aprilia guy whose name currently escapes me, and Peter Goddard (yes, I know, maybe not). Oh well, you do the job that comes closest to your dream, eh? Am I right here?
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 10:46 PM   #5
Hoppy
Founding Member

Congrats to Johnny. Sounds like a sweet job. Maybe we will see him racing next here. We need more americans at the world level. I was looking foward to seeing him aboard the Duck this season, it's to bad they couldn't come to terms. But I am pumped to see Slight here. I look for him to be a serious contender for the title.
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 07:31 AM   #6
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Hey, that's why they actually HOLD the races... 'Cause it's not over 'til the fat lady sings.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:28 AM   #7
FloridaSteve
Founding Member

Default 500cc v 1000cc... yeah right.

Give the 2 strokes up to 1000cc and then see what happens.... 4 strokes are cows compared to 2 strokes.
Old 03-02-2001, 09:47 AM   #8
borgNSR
Founding Member

Default Re: 500cc v 1000cc... yeah right.

750 cc's of 2s would be more than enough to hammer on the 4s.
borgNSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 10:35 AM   #9
Lincoln
Founding Member

trust me on this one - 500cc 2strokes is all that's needed to beat the 4strokes. . just remember this - the 2 strokes have been detuned throughout the 90's to make them more rideable. if the 4strokes come too close, they may just have to uncork the 2strokes - and then the 4strokes will be F*ucked
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 03:19 PM   #10
john
Founding Member

Think about what you just said: 2strokes are restricted to make them more rideable....

Lets set up a theoretical situation here. Let us say that they have either a 500cc or a 800 cc or whatever size you want 4 stroke. This bike is pitted against a 500 cc 2 stroke. lets say the 4 stroke makes more power (be it by size or expensive technology). so then they "uncork" the 2 stroke to make even more power. I can tell you quite surely that the 2 stroke is gonna have a much stronger hit coming onto the pipe. This will be a diadvantage in the corners. The advantage it will have will be in the straights. Either way, the bikes will be evenly matched.

My point is that i think right now, the chassis and the tyres will not allow the added power of a 2 stroke to give it an advantage, not at the 200 hp envelope these bikes are pushing. So whether a 500cc 4 stroke makes 190 hp, and a 500cc 2 stroke makes 230, the difference in rideability, and the tires ability to grip will only mean the extra 40 hp is wasted.