Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 07-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #51
yoavy11
Founding Member

Default Re: What about Gibernau, Biaggi, etc.? The Rossi dogged it theory doesn't work.

Or maybe it was the red wine white wine mix, the night before the race, Sean is this your fault he was drunk on race day?
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2005, 06:37 PM   #52
pdad13
Founding Member

Default He wasn't dogging it.

Actually, to me, it looked like Rossi was struggling for awhile. He definitely didn't see Edwards coming in the Corkscrew.

After that, I think he decided to save his charge until closer to the end. He almost caught Colin, but decided that 3rd was good enough. That tells me he wasn't all that confident there.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 06:45 PM   #53
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Is it just me...

...or did anyone else think Rossi was worried that Sean might eat him? He looked a little nervous.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:23 PM   #54
yoavy11
Founding Member

Default Re: He was dogging it. Sort of.

I should watch a rerun of the race maybe I missed something.

He was too cautious in my point of view, but what I meant was that he didn't need to fight off either Nicky or Colin because they don't really matter in the championship points race.

Don't get me wrong, Nicky had a brilliant weekend, but there's nothing I like better then watching Rossi race under pressure. The man's a canon, he just didn't feel the pressure.
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:43 PM   #55
giuliom
Registered Member

Default Re: MotoGP Picture Show

I am a big fan of Rossi, but I am glad Nicky won, if for no other reason that I hope now he will have some confidence to race better in the upcoming races. I think there is a middle ground between saying that Rossi did not try and saying that he tried his best. I think he tried his best for a while, but then Melandri (2nd in standing) crashes, and so does Barros. Biaggi and Sete are behind Rossi, he is on an unfamiliar track. I think he chose not to push it to the limit, but to accumulate a whole bunch of extra points on Melandri by controlling the race. I think his race was fair, and it was obvious that towards the end he tried harder for a while, but I also think he was being smart, that's all. His demeanor after the race told me that: Rossi truly beaten does not look so happy at all (check footage of the race last year when Gibernau got him on the last corner: afterwards Rossi looked like he had been sucking on a lemon). Being smart does not mean throwing the race, and does not take away from the fact that Nicky raced *brilliantly* all weekend; it does not even mean that Rossi would have beaten him, but he certainly would have been closer. My guess is that if Melandri had been in Nicky's position we would have seen a different race.
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:09 PM   #56
rmiller
Founding Member

Default Re: MotoGP Picture Show

I was camped out halfway up the back straight between turns 6 and the corkscrew. Those boys were FLYING through there! When Colin went up the inside to pass Biaggi et al, they were three abreast. When he later used the same line to pass Rossi, it was definitely track knowledge that allowed him to make the pass. The two trickiest and scariest parts of Seca are the entrance to the screw and coming up over Turn 1. They are both blind entrances at top speed cresting hills while leaned over and changing direction. Most riders just try to gather themselves and get through those sections safely. Colin was able to ride outside of the fear factor and RACE through those sections on a different line. Those lines are born of experience and championship level talent. Rossi is clearly the best rider, but he has benefited from the advantage of having run the FIM tracks from the time he was a teenager on 125s, 250s, 500s, and now MotoGP. It was nice that our boys finally had the advantage for once. I'm pulling for Nicky to get a few more podiums this year. His time will come. Colin would've given him all he wanted if he hadnt blown the start. NEXT year at Seca will be a dogfight. Hope to see you there!
rmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:19 PM   #57
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: He was dogging it. Sort of.

pdad13 is absolutely right and you are incorrect. Rossi was tenative through the corkscrew and Edwards surprised him. I taped the race. I watched the pass again. If they ran the race 7 times Hayden would win every time. Give up trying to tarnish this victory, Hayden will do it again. Mark my words this is the beginning there is a new sheriff in town.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:23 PM   #58
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default A different view. Hayden and Edwards turned the corner and Rossi can be beat.

Well I know that Sete and Biaggi weren't dogging it. Edwards and Hayden clearly beat those guys and they haven't before consistently. I have a different opinion. Hayden and Edwards turned a corner. Rossi is beatable.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:51 AM   #59
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default Re: A XB9sx, a CBR 600, a ZZR 600 and a YZF 600.......

Maybe their passenger weight limit. Just kidding. What I don't understand is why you would let the cat out of the bag before publishing the article. You've just totally hamstrung the shock factor of the verdict.

I like apples to oranges comparos, but I don't see the point in testing 900+ displacement twin against yesterday's 600 racer reps. There are inherent torque advantages that the Buell would have for street use, etc., and given its geometry handles well, high bars, yada yada yada, but you really are comparing very different animals. Most people, I would venture, who are looking at the B group of 600s, are looking for something other than what the Buell has to offer. Maybe it's pose value, aesthetics, what have you. The buell should really be compared to other bikes of its ilk, like the 919.

On another note, I hope you explore some of the more minor details of the bikes, such as how well you can or can't go 2-up on each model, underseat storage, maintenance schedule and true cost of ownership. Take into account that most of us who would buy such bikes aren't of your skill level and never will be, but would like these bikes to be of an all purpose nature, commuting, weekend heroics, trips to the beach , etc., and consider which of these bikes gives the best compromise in terms of overall performance. I just cannot fathom the Buell outshining these other bikes outside of canyon strafing and city work.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:25 AM   #60
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default Re: Is it just me...

From the paddocks, Valentino Rossi's attention is caught by something from the stands...

An unnerving glint in the eye from a bespectacled, red-headed barbarian, with a cheezy goatee, who stares at Rossi with a maniacal grin on his face.

A cold shudder rips through Valentino's body....

The red-headed barbarian is mouthing words to Valentino...

Valentino squints to focus on what the man is trying to say...

zoom in to face of maniacal read-head...

we lip read what he is saying to Valentino...

"Get in my belly!"
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote