Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 07-06-2005, 11:48 AM   #31
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Paris Hilton should be an address, not a person.

Yeah, but PeeWee Herman is probably still bigger than soccer here, too.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #32
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Paris Hilton should be an address, not a person.

See my point, there is a reason that not many people here know who Rossi is.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:02 PM   #33
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: SI Introduces Valentino Rossi to Its Readers

Don't hold back Sarnali, tell us how you feel about Nascar. What are Harley riders supposed to watch?
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:09 PM   #34
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: SI Introduces Valentino Rossi to Its Readers

SI: big type, small words..."Don't make it too complicated boys, were dealing with jocks here." Years ago, my wife got roped into ordering SI Junior; I fully expected a picture book to arrive in the mail. I was sorta disappointed that there wasn't a junior swimsuit issue, though...Hello little girl. Would you like some candy?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #35
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: My kid loved soccer...

I beg to differ, Kevin. Despite the many chunkheads that seem to infest our Football, the sport taught me and many others valuable lessons and ethics that I doubt I could have learned in many other environments.

And being that most people never play beyond the High School level, they hardly go through any permanent physical hardship. Most of the people that I know that played all the way through college are fine. And the pros, well, that's the risk they take. I'm sure the vast majority of them wouldn't trade their careers for anything.

You ever see Kevin Schwantz' x-rays? How 'bout Mick Doohans'? (I could go on.) What would most orthopedic surgeons think of them? Christ, if we listed to doctors all the time, we'd never leave the house.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:36 PM   #36
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default I'm hungry

Feel free to slip a Pop Tart under the door.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #37
jungkvist
Founding Member

I wish my son's experience were a good as yours. He was a gifted athlete - an all star in every sport he played - but after two concussions, and trying to play through a bout of mono, he was never the same. As for the coaches - except for one, I will forever consider them to be some of the worst examples of humanity that I have ever encountered. And, if celebrating brutality and deriding those weaker than you are of any worth, I fail to see what it is.

Schwantz and Doohan were extremely talented professionals in an independent discipline; they calculated the risks and made their own decisions as young adults. Kids generally begin playing organized football in their early teens. And talented or not, with or without any future prospect of playing college ball, they end up being involved in the equivalent of dozens of car wrecks – not to mention the dehumanizing toll football exacts on their personalities.

In my personal opinion, football is one of the most blatant examples of mindless group-think – short of joining the Klan – that anyone can ever be involved.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:51 AM   #38
pdad13
Founding Member

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way and I'm sorry your kid had a bad experience. Unfortunately, there are bad people involved in every activity.

But you're painting with an extrememly broad brush. Mindless group-think? Yeah, well, maybe for some, but I think you should be more concerned with the mindless group-think that's being taught in the schools. You know, "everybody's a winner!" "No one is allowed to lose!" What the hell are we teaching kids? There's already research that says that these kids (early twenties) are having trouble adjusting to the real world because the do-gooders have them completely programed for a nice little safe world where no one will hurt their feelings and they'll never fail. Sorry, the demonization of football (and high competition in general) is all part of that process.

I wasn't taught group-think; I was taught responsibility to teamates and work ethic. And I was never the rah-rah type. But I loved playing that game, competing and being allowed to be aggressive.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:58 AM   #39
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Oh, and Schwantz and Doohan...

...or at least most racers start at a very early age (around five) and endure competition sacrifice and risk of injury at least as high as any kid playing football. I suspect significantly higher for all three categories. So aside from being an individual sport, which can be more stressful to a kid's psyche, I'm not sure I understand your point.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:00 AM   #40
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm hungry

Mmmmm....chocolate Pop-Tarts....garrgaggha....