Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 04-30-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
zxr250cc
Founding Member

Default Re: Roberts & Lawson on Wind Tunnel May 1st

Wish I had satellite or cable!
zxr250cc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
zxr250cc
Founding Member

But I don't value TV enough to spend the money for either cable or satellite hook ups so I guess I will just go for a ride instead!
zxr250cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
schizuki
Founding Member

At the risk of sounding like a philistine, I couldn't care less about old racers. Or old athletes of any kind. Athletes interest me because of their performance. When that's gone, there's not much left.

One of the reasons I'm letting my subscription to Motorcyclist lapse is because of the excessive Kenny Roberts content. I'm interested in who's racing tomorrow, not twenty years ago.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
smithrob75
Founding Member

It's nice to have perspective, but above that I don't think we should hang too much on the past. But I guess old athletes are like Harley's, enough guys want to "remember the past" and they'll always be around. Kenny has a pretty tough job in MotoGP, I'm not sure if he'll ever win, the other teams are too strong.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:48 PM   #5
jungkvist
Founding Member

Saying that KR has a tough job is an understatement of mythic proportions; David vs. Goliath was even-money compared to this one. MotoGP technology has the shelf life of ice cubes in Ecuador. So, taking on the Big-4 and Ducati - and all of their attending money, R&D and manpower - with what-amounts-to a cottage operation takes balls. If Roberts' team ever makes a podium the Nobel commitee should create a special racing-prize and award it to the KR team.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:27 AM   #6
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Roberts and Lawson bring a wealth of knowledge to any discussion and have probably forgotten more about motorcycle racing than I'll learn in my entire lifetime. -Sean
Old 05-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Well said. I think there's a line somewhere that says those forgetting the past are doomed to make the same mistakes.

Now if I could just quit buying old Honda 350s.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #8
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default A Couple of Rare Bird:

While there are any number of talented riders out there, few of them are able to speak intelligently about the sport. This isn't a knock on anyone; it's just that natural talent is bestowed at birth and there's no way to explain that. I've always hated the old saying, "Those who can, do! Those who can't, teach!" because it is so dismissive of the importance of good teachers.

Roberts and Lawson have the rare combination of talent and practical knowledge. To me, listening to guys like that is always a treat.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: A Couple of Rare Bird:

And those who can't teach, teach PE.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #10
Tomas_P
Founding Member

Yeesh, did Kenny seem pissed about something during that interview or what? What the heck was his problem? Poor ol' Despain had to work like he was pulling impacted wisdom teeth, and could hardly get a word out of Roberts.
Tomas_P is offline   Reply With Quote