Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 04-11-2005, 08:03 AM   #31
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: *SPOILER* MotoGP - Round 1 - Jerez

Johnny, I've got to disagree. If you look at the third picture from the right, where Rossi has his foot down, it's pretty clear that Rossi's front is pointed away from the apex and on a trajectory to run wide, while Sete is pointed at it. It seems to me that Rossi came in too hot and too early, realized this and tried to straigten the bike, which is why he put his foot down. Sete did run a bit wide, but he wasn't as far off as he appeared because Rossi took such an extreme line.

I don't think Rossi intended cause contact, though, and I don't blame him for taking the win. But that was a bit of a bonzai move. That being said, I'm going to look at the tape again--mostly because it was fun to watch.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2005, 08:29 AM   #32
johnnyb
Founding Member

i tink a case can be made for both points of view, which is why i side with VR when he says that's racing... i tink VR only started to lose it when Jibbernow decided to turn into him even tho jibbernow should've definitely known Rossi was going to be there and should've seen and heard him.

and i think that's why Jibbernow didn't complain at the press conference. that Rossi is a beast man probly SEan A is only man who can take him...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:32 AM   #33
johnnyb
Founding Member

i mean u r right, it was a banzai move, but that's what Rossi is famous for and nobody should know it better than Gibernau.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:43 AM   #34
TEvo
Registered Member

Well ah'll be! What we have he'ah is a good ole' fashion rival-ree.

Not since the days of Rainey-Schwantz has MotoGP been this exciting.

Rossi better hire some bodyguards when the GP circus goes back to Spain for Valencia...
`00 SV65
TEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:55 AM   #35
Woody650
Founding Member

Great race, classic Rossi stalking the leader until the last few laps.

But I gotta agree with the "Rossi in the Wrong" camp. He had run wide on quite a few corners, including one just a few turns before.

From what I saw, he was destined to go wide again on that last turn, but stuffed it in anyway, drifted out and smacked into Gib who was ahead and cutting in towards the apex.

Unfortunately, it was a "classic Nicky" race too. Third position on the opening weekend would have been very strong, especially with Baby Biaggi running much farther back. Nicky just didn't play it smart....he could have cruised to an easy podium that he'd earned by staying with the leaders in the opening laps.

On a different note, what was up with Rossi's foot? He seems to move it off the peg and tuck it up high into the bike to get his knee out, and even put his foot down in the last corner...

Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:07 AM   #36
ewok1
Founding Member

I side with your version of the facts. Gibernau was most likely making a point realizing he'd been had.

I don't think Rossi is known for hairball moves tho.

i think he was in the wrong this time. i don't blame him much. I have done the wrong thing a time or two when what i thought i could accomplish was wrong. At times, while racing, foolish and dangerous things happen because that is a component of racing.

So I would have apologized, enjoyed the hell out of the win and fully expect the favor to be returned at a time and place of my victim's choosing. That's racing. What pisses me off is that i don't see sete' doing that. ever. it will be somebidy else in the employ of the evil empire who does it. like making the pitcher throw the beanball.

Asking permission to pass is not part of racing protocol. I rarely debate the feelings of the others while looking up the inside. else i would always just rail around the outside. which means i won't be passing much. still true, but not because i eschew the tactic.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:07 AM   #37
fdavis
Founding Member

Regardless of the asbsolute letter of the rules, this was an unsportsmanslike pass by Rossi, IMO. He stalked Sete, got by and then made a mistake, after which he was passed. He then had to pull a hairball move to get past in the last corner.

I think Sete probably should have protected the inside a little better (easy to say watching the tube) but I was suprised there was no protest or race official intervention.
fdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:09 AM   #38
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah!

Okay, first: I hope your friend was female, and second: I gotta wonder from what position you were watching the race (come to think of it, forget about that second thing...you probably don't want to tell and maybe I don't really want to know). One thing's for damn sure, I wish I'd seen that race; I got rid of my TV months ago. Now, thanks to you guys talking about the race, my brain will soon be boiling in sewage, again.

Far as the screaming at the TV, thing; that's what I did when Rossi won his first race on the Yamaha. I can't imagine what my neighbors thought, if they heard me (probably sounded like a baboon being raped by a water buffalo).

God! I love MotoGP...and every rider who finishes in front of Biaggi.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:24 AM   #39
tumbler
Founding Member

I figured wit tha tradin paint an all it was a NASCAR support series fur up an comin' talent. When we start letin all dem foreigners race nextel cup? I thought they ran wuss racin like F1 and Indy Car...
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:25 AM   #40
killer5280
Registered Member

Yes, and how many times did Rossi run wide yesterday? 4 or 5 times? He was obviously having to ride over even his head to run that pace. Whether it was because he was riding his backup bike or because of the speed of the Honda I can't say. Regardless, he got in too hot several times, the most egregious of which was the unfortunate last corner nerf job on Gibernau.
killer5280 is offline   Reply With Quote