Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 10-18-2004, 05:07 AM   #41
aknopak
Founding Member

Default Re: Annnnnnnd Edwards to Yamaha!

If Edwards is such a good development rider, how come he has been whining about 'chatter' the entire season?

And how come he's been thoroughly outperformed by Gibernau?
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2004, 05:36 AM   #42
giuliom
Registered Member

Default Re: Excellent points....

Hayden???? HAYDEN???? Are you nuts? go look at Hayden's standing in the championship and that on what is supposed to be the best Honda out there. Hayden's tactic has been to go slow and hope people in front of him fall. He is like Biaggi with less talent. Even Barros (or "zombie Barros" as he's known) has been doing better than Hayden and nobody would mistake Barros for a world champion.
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:02 AM   #43
waepoint
Founding Member

Yamaha already has the best development team in the universe with Rossi / Burgess, so I doubt they're looking to Colin to help evolve the M1. But what Yamaha does get is a smart rider who never falls down and consistently scores in the top 10. Toss in a couple podiums as a bonus, and you have the perfect teammate for producing a Gauloises team victory to ring in Yamaha's 50th anniversary.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:11 AM   #44
aknopak
Founding Member

Excellent point.

Edwards is a solid rider, I rate him higher than the average also-ran, but he hasn't distinguished himself as one of the top riders in MotoGP (not yet anyway), and particularly not in the development area. But boy has he complained a lot, I hope he quits that habit when he joins Yamaha.
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:24 AM   #45
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

So do I. That is my biggest gripe with Biaggi the guy incessantly whines about his equipment when the whole world can see he's losing because Rossi (or Doohan, when he was racing) simply outrode him.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:55 AM   #46
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Aussie GP Results

Christian,

The differences are indeed dramatic. However, clumsy control inputs are not something found at the highest levels of motorcycle racing. Not in the 50s', 60s', 70s', 80's, 90s' or today. So though it is true that being clumsy will quickly land you in the hay bales, it isn't anything that you'd of caught Agostini, Hailwood, Reed, Roberts, Sheen, Spencer, Gardner, Lawson, Rainey, Schwantz, Doohan, etc doing. Therefore, I still maintain that they would not be caught-out by the excellence of today's MotoGP bikes. In fact, it is my assertion that the mid-80s' through late 90s' riders dealt with by far the hardest to ride motorcycles ever produced for racing.

That said, I do think that Rossi is one of the all time motorcycle racing greats and perhaps "the best ever" -Sean

Old 10-18-2004, 07:57 AM   #47
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Rossi like Mladin are the greatest.

FZ-1, Tuono, and some guy's privately owned MV Brutale S.

Sat is no sweat, we're looking at about two weeks from now anyway. -Sean
Old 10-18-2004, 08:26 AM   #48
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: Aussie GP Results

This is probably something most people who follow racing already know but by 2007 the MotoGP bikes are going to be required to run 900cc as opposed to the current limit of 990cc. The reasoning being they are too fast and officials are having safty concerns. But all may not be as it seems (i.e. less cc = safer less hp bike). From the article I read:

"Veteran correspondent Michael Scott commented that the capacity reduction could in fact lead to peakier bikes that are more difficult to ride than the current machines. Also, that such restrictions merely present a challenge to engineers to extract more horsepower from fewer cc's. This may be the case, but one has to wonder where it will lead. "

The article (more like a blip of news) is at:

http://www.v-four.freeserve.co.uk/gp1.htm