Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 10-17-2004, 04:52 PM   #21
nomad76
Founding Member

Default Re: Aussie GP Results

It's a shame Rossi probably will never match Agostini's championship count, seeing as how he was talking about how bored he was racing GPs the last two seasons.

Now, if he goes to F1 and wins some auto titles, how good does that make him?
nomad76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2004, 04:59 PM   #22
giuliom
Registered Member

WEll, one thng about Agostini and Rossi is that comparing them is comparing apples and oranges. Ago would race the 350, win that race, then get on the 500 and race that too (same day) and, much as I loved him when I was growing up, the MV Agusta was a dominating machine, almost never broke down (bikes used to break down more in racing than today) and Ago never made a mistake. What Rossi did this year is unbelievable: Honda for much of the year should have had the better bike, but Rossi negated that advantage. I think beside his enormous talent as racer, he must be absolutely excellent at helping his team set up and improve the bike.
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 05:47 PM   #23
kowalke67
Founding Member

hahaha, that's pretty funny Probably not the way Suzuki wanted to usher in the RC/Suzuki era.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:52 PM   #24
kowalke67
Founding Member

I have to admit, I like what Rossi and Ricky's team changes have done for MotoGP and will do for AMA MX. Honda is dominant in both and having two of the best riders to ever straddle a motorcycle riding for them kind of made things ho hum. But Rossi getting on a Yamaha- that wasn't considered competitive last year- took on the question (and now answered it) "is it Rossi or the bike winning these races?".

Same will go for Ricky on a Suzuki. Plus, we get to see James Stewart in the mix. Can't wait, it's going to be fun.

Old 10-17-2004, 05:55 PM   #25
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: What about the race!

I know! I missed it but I subscribe to MotoGP.com so I'm going to watch it tonight.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:04 PM   #26
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Of course, tires, chassis, suspension and power delivery all all much better understood by today's engineers and all of them have had MAJOR strides made in the realm of ridability and control. So, although it is true that the bikes are much faster today, they are also much more tunable and most likely easier to ride than say a 1970s' Yamaha TZ-700.

Old 10-17-2004, 06:08 PM   #27
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Rossi like Mladin are the greatest.

Buzz,

You have to hurry back from Hawaii, cause I've just secured an Aprilia Tuono and Yamaha FZ-1 for a three-way Super-Standard Shootout. When will you be back? -Sean
Old 10-17-2004, 06:20 PM   #28
HobbleFoot
Founding Member

I think it's unfortunate that Rossi and Sete are no longer on speaking terms. When Edwards and Bayliss were in WSB, they had great mutual respect for each other. Bayliss even sort of took up for Edwards when Honda gave their Repsol spot to Nicky.
HobbleFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 06:31 PM   #29
HobbleFoot
Founding Member

The first race of the season was the most impressive to me. No one was really thinking that Rossi would be a contender this year or that he would get on the podium until midway through the season. Rossi, more than any other racer I've watched, makes me believe that as long as he's on the track, he can win. Winning under pressure is the difference between him and so many others. He doesn't seem to calculate where he can finish and still win in overall points, he just goes for the win. I feel lucky to be watching a living legend and I can't wait until Laguna Seca next year!
HobbleFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 08:23 PM   #30
rmiller
Founding Member

Default Re: Rossi like Mladin are the greatest.

Mladin is a wonderful rider to be sure. But with the likes of Roberts, Lawson, Spencer, Rainey, and Schwantz, each of whom went on to achieve greater things at a higher level during their primes, I would argue against Mladin being the best AMA Racer ever (as opposed to the most accomplished at that level). Spencer never won the AMA Superbike title (as I recall), and I think he would have run circles around Mladin with both at their best. And Schwantz would have handed Mladin his head on a plate, to say nothing of a guy like Russel. IMHO.
rmiller is offline   Reply With Quote