Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 02-19-2004, 07:26 AM   #31
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Very Interesting! MotoGP Testing

Agree with your comments about Hayden, but as talented as he is, I think Colin has a better shot at the title this year. Still, I can easily see Hayden, Sete, Max or Rossi taking the title -- I have downgraded Max's chances though, as it looks like Rossi will be sufficiently competitive to lay his usual mind-f**k on Max!

And I expect that we could have easily 6+ different race winners on 3 different brands this season!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2004, 08:29 AM   #32
ewok1
Founding Member

Default yeah, so? :-)

that's part of the fun. to react and criticize things we don't know about.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:06 AM   #33
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I went to the Indy GP this year to watch Schumacher kick booty in the rain.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:23 AM   #34
zootsuit
Founding Member

Default Re: NASCAR Vs Motorcycles

One reasons is that, for most spectators, stadium racing is way more exciting than road racing. I've given up on Laguna Seca. Whether it's cars or bikes, you only get to seem them briefly instead of all the time, and, in the name of safety, I guess, you have to sit too far away on most of track to see much of what the riders are doing. If you're really lucky, you get to see a couple of good passes. Big deal.

Another reason is that there's a whole lot less passing than there used to be. I've read that, in cars, at least, aerodynamics and disc brakes have minimized passing opportunities. Don't know if the same is true of bikes, but I suspect something like it must be happening, 'cause there are few lead changes on bike races.

Compare this to NASCAR--bumper to bumper at 150 mph and up, more passing than you can keep track of, lead changes every few laps, all within your view. Kind of exciting, no?

zootsuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:52 AM   #35
aknopak
Founding Member

Not to MotoGP, but I have been to the Superbike race at Assen last year (MotoGP visits that circuit as well).

What a crock! The noise was absolutely god awfully loud, good thing I had earplugs with me. If you're not on the main stand or in front of a videoscreen you will see very little, every few minutes the pack roars by with 300+ km/h. Craig Jones pulled some stunts during a break which was fun, but I didn't stick around for the second race.

All in all it was a great experience for a few minutes, to hear and feel the noise, and see what at what incredible speeds these guys hurl themselves into corners, elbow-to-elbow, outbraking eachother... But before long I was wishing I was in front of the television where I could actually follow some of the racing.

For some reason the Ducati's sounded even louder than any of the other bikes, and not a very pleasant noise either. By far the sweetest noise came from the Petronas triple, it really stood out. The supersports sounded horrible btw, as if they could blow up any second.

Anyway, it was an interesting experience, but I don't ever plan on going again, unless I can get a VIP seat with a monitor, or at the very least a seat at the grandstand... Thank god for Eurosport
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 11:38 AM   #36
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Which race?

I think I would go to Assen, the "cathedral of road racing", for the history and atmosphere.

Plus the great hordes of beautiful blonde, blue-eyed Dutch girls.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 11:42 AM   #37
sjriott
Founding Member

Default Re: Just say it.

Mladin sucks and is a sandbagger. That clown needs to grow some balls and move up to World Superbike or go away.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:01 PM   #38
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Re: NASCAR Vs Motorcycles

i admit i have never seen it from that perspective. and i have tried to watch nascar, but it bores me to tears. maybe because i don't think driving a car is any fun compared to riding a motorcycle.

but i love laguna seca. i agree that you don't see as much as you could. they have a big big screen in the pits you can watch. but i acknowledge your point. the last two years we purchased the paddock passes at turn 4. we have tvs and alcohol and food. couple that with the whole cannery row experience and it makes it well worth the ride from idaho.

also something about sitting on the corkscrew watching is an amazing time for me.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:10 PM   #39
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default That's why I love Laguna Seca

Forget the grandstands and get a general admission pass to Laguna Seca. You can wander all around the track and get excellent views. The track is a on a hillside with lots of elevation changes.

There is no more beautiful site than a line of motorcycles winding down the corkscrew. I went to the CART race there two years ago and it wasn't nearly as good.

The California Speedway race is ok but Laguna will always get my money first.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:10 PM   #40
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I imagine V-10s at 18,000 RPM sound fairly impressive.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote