Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 02-18-2004, 09:58 PM   #21
2wheeler
Founding Member

Default Re: Which race?

I really pains me to say this but, as I'm only half British, here it comes...

Don't come to the British GP!

2003 was one of the worst organised race meetings imaginable. It took us so long to get in we missed the 125s and took us about 3 hours and 3 aircon fuses to get out of the completely unmarshalled traffic chaos when we tried to leave. Not even the bikes could get through and a number had to just pull over and allow their overheated engines to cool off.

(On the other hand the weather was great, I like Donnington Park circuit and we had a great helicopter display just before the MotoGP race itself. We strolled around in the infield and had pretty good views of various parts of the circuit.)
2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2004, 01:10 AM   #22
rxman
Founding Member

Default Re: Very Interesting! MotoGP Testing

Right on Brother....
rxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:16 AM   #23
VR1000racer
Founding Member

Well Biaggi the rancorous Roman has topped the charts on the final day with a 1:30.21,

with Colin second at a 1:30.45,

Gibernau 3rd at a 1:30.60,

Hayden 4th at a 1:30.68,

Rossi 5th at 1:30.80,

Barros 6th at 1:30.88,

Capirossi 7th at 1:30.97

Bayless 8th at 1:31.64,

Checa (Yamaha also) at 1:31.96

Also, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Proton test next weekend I beleive at Philip Island. No word on Harris or morwauki, testing or otherwise.

I personally hope to see Proton do well

, as I would love to see Kenny, Kid Kurtis and the rest of the Proton gang beat Honda. (It's an underdog thing) and if not Proton, then Edwards or Hayden, then Rossi pounding Biaggi like a red-headed step child!

that's all folks!
VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:25 AM   #24
aknopak
Founding Member

Yep, and the final results proof it (see below). Still I think speculating is fun, however useless it may be During this time last year Barros was doing really well on the Yamaha, and Edwards was fast on the Aprilia, and we all know what happened. On the other hand, you can't fail to notice Rossi already taking the Yamaha to a higher level...

Poor Ruben Xaus crashed really hard, I sincerely hope he doesn't sustain serious injury in his quest to conquer the Desmodeci. I am afraid this is not going to be his last crash of the season

Unofficial lap times final day:

Max Biaggi (Honda): 1'30.21 (62 laps)

Colin Edwards (Honda): 1'30.45 (31 laps)

Sete Gibernau (Honda) : 1'30.60 (41 laps)

Nicky Hayden (Honda): 1'30.68 (83 laps)

Valentino Rossi (Yamaha): 1'30.80 (78 laps)

Alex Barros (Honda): 1'30.88 (74 laps)

Loris Capirossi (Ducati): 1'30.97 (56 laps)

Troy Bayliss (Ducati): 1'31.64 (68 laps)

Carlos Checa (Yamaha): 1'31.96 (92 laps)

Marco Melandri (Yamaha): 1'32.00 (80 laps)

Shane Byrne (Aprilia): 1'32.28 (67 laps)

Neil Hodgson (Ducati): 1'32.44 (64 laps)

Norick Abe (Yamaha): 1'33.76 (80 laps)
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:00 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Which race?

I'm going to London in March so I'll get my British fix taken care of then.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:59 AM   #26
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I think the fact that Hayden is within .3 seconds of the fastest time is an ominous sign for the rest of the field. Hayden is not known for fast practice or qualifying times, he goes fastest in traffic on race day.

If Hayden has been able to step it up a notch as preseason testing indicates, it should be between him and Rossi for the championship. I think Rossi will be a bit shocked that Hayden actually sticks with him when he goes into those mystical moments where he runs away from the rest of the field like they were on training wheels.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:24 AM   #27
sarnali
Founding Member

I think you're right, Abe. I think this season will be about Rossi and Hayden, with Rossi's experiance seeing him on top.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:32 AM   #28
sarnali
Founding Member

I went to Oulton Park with my dad, my uncle & cousins and watched Barry Sheene and Kenny Roberts in the early 70's,

Then we went and watched Liverpool and Man. United play a round of footie. It was the best vacation I ever had
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:19 AM   #29
ewok1
Founding Member

i agree with you about practice times generally. it's not how fast you go, it's where you finish, as we all know. but this year i think a different attitude exists. i think messages are being sent. for example did you read rossi's statement where he said biaggi needs to win it this year or he never will? psyche! i also agree that hayden is usually way better on race day than in practice and even qualifying. but i think he will be better qualifying this year.

so you might be correct. you might not be. what i know for sure is that its gonna be cool.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:21 AM   #30
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>These numbers don't mean squat without Honda being there on the same day. <<

Am I missing your point? Honda, Yamaha, Ducati and Aprilia WERE all there on the track at the same time -- that is what the time chart represents.

The previous test at Sepang also had Suzuki and Kawasaki at the same time. It is only the first Sepang test (end of Jan) where Yamaha was on track a few days later than Honda.

Looks like this is the last Honda/Yamaha head-to-head test until the official IRTA tests, as the rest of the private tests will have them at different circuits.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote