Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 12-31-2003, 01:59 AM   #21
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: The person who probably has the most to fear is Biaggi

It will be interesting to see what happens. Rossi did have the Only "A" bike at Honda in "03" with all the fastest parts and was supposedly upset that in "04" all the Honda's were to be equal spec, part of the reason he left? If Rossi can finally win a Championship on a bike that isn't the best on the grid I will believe he is the best of the current (fantastic!) crop (even though he has brought MAJOR talent with him from Honda). Best ever? PLEASE! This season will answer a lot of questions. My heart is pulling for Colin, Troy, JR, Max, Nicky, Loris, Alex, Sete, Kurtis and others. Kato's loss is still felt, I have no doubt he'd have been a player. My head says Sete will be the man to beat if I'm betting money today.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2003, 03:48 AM   #22
SuperSquid
Registered Member

Default I agree E Boz should have gotten the Duc GP ride, but he is not a spaniard

and spaniards get tons of ad and sponsor dollars.
SuperSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 04:21 AM   #23
faithbyspeed
Founding Member

Default My

I have been a huge fan of MotoGP since it went the route of 1000cc 4-strokes. However, I've never really been a fan of the 250 and 125 series. So I replaced them with MotoGP 2. I read about this awhile back and really liked the idea. Essentially, it is the same as MotoGP, except with a displacement limit of 600cc. WSBK (Ducati - Pirelli series) can go to $#%&! The AMA series falls right in line with my MotoGP 2 dream.

MotoGP --- AMA Superbike --- Superstock

MotoGP 2 --- AMA Formula Xtreme --- Supersport
faithbyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 04:23 AM   #24
faithbyspeed
Founding Member

Default The title should say - My DREAM racing series

faithbyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 12:34 AM   #25
Hector1
Founding Member

Default Re: Are we in for the greatest motoGP season ever?

I agree that the upcoming season is shaping up to be the best in years. I disagree on a few points though.

Hayden- The kid is great, but I think he might need another year of seasoning before he is a real contender.

Rossi- The best by far, talent wise. I think he will suprise most and be successful on the M1, maybe not winning the championship, but definitely in the top three at year's end.

Sete- This could be his "break-out" year. He was the only one that could stay with Rossi last year.

Edwards- I hate to not give props to a fellow Texan from Conroe, close to my hometown btw, but his aggressive style may not be suited for MotoGP. He takes too many chances and even on the RC211V, I don't think he will make the big of an impact on the championship. He is Sete's new teammate, but he will be the "second" rider, like Hayden was last year.

KRJR- Should have left Suzuki by now. You have to admire his loyalty, but his best years are being spend on uncompetitive ride. Too bad.

Kurtis Roberts- I think he is in waaaaaay over his head. I think the jump from AMA Superbike contender, to MotoGP, is a very daunting task for Kurtis. Good luck, but I would shocked if he scored in the points for a single race. I don't think the Proton V5 is quite what everybody hoped it would be either.

Now, all the above being said. I think this is Ducati's year. They have an impressive machine, and a talent-laden team of riders.

Capirossi is the obvious choice, due to his success last year, but my darkhorse is Hodgson. Don't count out Bayliss either. I would not be suprised to see Ducati with 2 or 3 of the top 5 riders at season's end.

Hector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:10 AM   #26
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Don't Understand the Antaganism Toward Spaniards

I guess Sete just lucked into his 2nd place standings in the 2003 championship, and Hodgson just let Reubin beat $hit out of him in those late season races so as not to hurt his teammate's feelings....

Hell, the big Spanish sponsors (Repsol and Telefonica) have hired:

Repsol -- 1 American, one Brazilian (unofficial, but word is they bought out Barros' contract with Yamaha)

Telefonica -- one Spaniard (sure, Sete only got that ride because of his passport) and one American

Maybe so many Spaniards in GP (125, 250 and MotoGP) because so many motorcyclists in Spain and so many race fans there.

Compare the attendence at all the MotoGP and WSBK rounds in Spain to any US rounds and then ask yourself why sponsors might wanna hire someone that the Spanish fans have at least heard of!

I am a huge EBoz fan, and he may well be one of the best riders in the World, but virtually nobody outside the US has even heard of him -- hell, even Kawasaki passed him over for a European for that reason. Not realistic to think that Ducati Corsa or d'Antin would pick him over Xaus for their MotoGP effort! Plus, Ducati have always been very loyal to their own riders -- that is how BBoz got his WSBK ride and certainly how Bayliss, and now Hodgson and Xaus got their MotoGP rides. If EBoz does well for Ducati in AMA this year, he probably has a good shot with Ducati in MotoGP in the future.

Nicky got his spot in GP because US Honda bought and paid for it, Kenny Jr (and now Kurtis)got there on the fame and name of Kenny Sr, Hopper got there (originally on a 3rd string team) due to the recommendation of John Ulrich. Colin got his the hard way -- by winning two WSBK championships and attracting a large fan base outside the US. Considering the small US fan base (and for that matter, the relatively small number of top level American riders -- if you don't count the Aussies and Canadians in AMA), if anything, Americans are over-represented in MotoGP!

Aside from possibly EBoz, I can't think of a single American rider from AMA who has earned a MotoGP ride.

Bob

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:24 AM   #27
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending Mladin

Ain't bench racin' fun?

I'm gonna predict that Mladin and Yates get their asses handed to them by the Hondas, but I have been wrong before -- Hell, I picked EBoz to take the 2003 title (woops!)

Word from a usually well-connected source in Europe has GoShow riding the Yamaha Superbike, and Josh Hays will ride a non-factory Kawasaki Superbike. The new rules that allow fewer mods, limited production race-kit parts etc give non-factories a better shot, so I would not rule out a serious challenge from Yamaha and Kawasaki.

My pick for the Superbike title is BBoz on the new Honda -- I think he may well be the best rider (I think it is between him and his brother) and he seems really comfortable on the 4 cylinder Honda, unlike the twin last season.

For SuperStock, I pick one of the Yamahas -- can't yet decide on which rider -- Disalvo is my emotional favorite.

I am gonna stick my neck out and predict that Suzuki get shut out of all AMA class championships. Can't bring back the same bike as last year and expect to remain competitive in this game.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:37 AM   #28
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia Cube??

Considering how well they did last year with Colin and Haga, and the lessor rider talent (in my opinion) they will have for 2004........I predict they come in behind Proton and Suzuki for the manufacturer's championship. They should still beat WCM and Kawasaki.

Clearly, in spite of my predictions to the contrary, F1 technology doesn't translate that well to MotoGP.

Given the huge budgets required for MotoGP, I think that Aprilia would get much more for their money from racing Superbike (World, AMA, BSB etc). Ditto for Kawasaki and Suzuki.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:42 AM   #29
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 MotoGP Outcome

I am guessing you are not too far off, but I expect Capi and maybe Troy to be up there on the Duc.

Also, while Nicky will do a lot better than 2003, I still don't expect him to finish ahead of Max.

And it wouldn't surprise me to see Rossi seriously challenge for the title, with Sete, Colin, Max and Nicky splitting up the Honda wins.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:50 AM   #30
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Are we in for the greatest motoGP season ever?

Very well said. The only thing I would disagree on is the allegedly sorry state of AMA and World Superbike. I don't see factories pulling out as being a bad thing. Hell, to fans, close racing is what matters, who cares if it is someone like Jason Pridmore or Josh Hays on a privateer bike or a factory bike that is challenging for the lead?

I expect the new rules (as in WSBK) to result in more competition, with more riders and more different bikes having a shot.