Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 09-08-2003, 07:40 AM   #1
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default Re: Portuguese GP Results

Dear BMW,

Spend a $3 million to hire Rossi, $2 million on a GP bike and another couple million on the development of your first Supersport bike. Then reap many times that value in increased motorcycle sales.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2003, 08:11 AM   #2
cybris
Registered Member

It is going to cost alot more than that for BMW to enter and be competive.
cybris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:41 AM   #3
ducatirdr
Founding Member

3. Loris Capirossi, Ducati, -5.254 seconds

4. Sete Gibernau, Honda, -5.269 seconds

That last lap was like a 125 race for these two. Excellent racing and great to see Ducati so competative in their first year. Aprilia I had high hopes with Edwards at the helm but they still have a long way to go. Suzuki... Remember when KRjr was World champ? Now the guy can't make top 15 (yet Hopper is beating him on the same bike

Thank You SPEED Channel.

If only they would bring a GP race to Barber.
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 10:30 AM   #4
RickZ
Founding Member

The Suzuki and the Aprilia need more development time. The Ducati is looking good. The guy to watch is Nicky. He's got a great bike and team under him, but he's still learning and I don't think he's comfortable yet with all the changes. When Nicky settles in and gets used to being away from home and all the other distractions, he should start giving the top 5 a run for their money.

I am really diggin' MotoGP this year. The talent level of riders on the track from the top of the field to the bottom is just fantastic.
RickZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 11:53 AM   #5
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I think the Suzuki needs a re-design, development isn't going to cut it.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:14 PM   #6
KPaulCook
Banned

Default If it wasn't for Ducati, MotoGP would be the Honda Cup

Yamaha is doing so, so. But I argee with you Sean Suzuki needs to start brand new, Kawaski as well.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 02:20 PM   #7
sarnali
Founding Member

I think Nicky Haydens doing fantastic for his first year at moto gp

If he had a Ducati he might break into the top 5
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 02:52 PM   #8
pnerenberg
Registered Member

I dunno about that. The Ducati seems to be a little bit of a beast in terms of stability. There is no doubt it's fast as hell, but there is also no doubt that the Honda is consistently the quickest bike out there. Also remember that Nicky is racing for the "official" HRC team being at Repsol, so he is getting all the latest and greatest. Either way, Nicky did a great job yesterday by finishing six places higher than he started. That's no easy feat, especially with a grid as talented as the MotoGP field this year. I have high hopes that he's going to become a real contenda by next season. In the meantime, he's racking up a lot of points finishes, which is exactly what he needs to be doing. He's going to finish a lot higher in the standings in his first year than Hopkins last year (and this year...) or Edwards this year. Hell, he's even gonna beat Kenny...of course the bike is definitely somewhat to blame for that, as with the other two aforementioned American speed demons. We'll see how it pans out...still a few more races to go.
pnerenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:28 PM   #9
detansinn
Founding Member

Absolutely. To be a player, it takes about $25 million to step in the MotoGP ring. As for Rossi, rumor has it that Ducati offered Rossi $10 million to jump the Honda ship. This MotoGP stuff is expensive. haha.
detansinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:34 PM   #10
detansinn
Founding Member

Doubtful. Nicky is super talented, but he's not in the top 5 for lack of motorcycle. Outside of Rossi, he's the only one with a full-HRC ride. That Honda isn't a slouch.

Nicky's weak spot is learning new tracks. Hopefully, he'll be more productive next year and that Honda will give him the chance to grow. To say that he's under pressure to do so is a slight understatement. They're not hisorical patient at HRC. haha
detansinn is offline   Reply With Quote