Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 09-08-2003, 04:41 PM   #11
detansinn
Founding Member

Default Re: If it wasn't for Ducati, MotoGP would be the Honda Cup

I have an extended rant on the subject at my weblog: www.buzzwordenabled.com
detansinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2003, 10:13 PM   #12
aknopak
Founding Member

Default Re: If it wasn't for Ducati, MotoGP would be the Honda Cup

There's an interview with the Dutch mechanic of the Suzuki team printed on a Dutch forum. In the interview he explains why the Suzuki fails in very explicit terms: they simply cannot get enough power out of the current V4 configuration within the restrictions imposed by the frame.

Apparently the problem is that Suzuki management chose a frame, and decided to build an engine to fit it. It doesn't work, and now they can't develop the engine any further within the current frame. And still they are sticking to the frame...

He also notes that he would rather have done like Ducati: build several engine configurations, and see which one works best. Basically Suzuki put all their money on one horse, and it is not fast enough.

Finally he notes that by now the team is severely demotivated, with only Hopkins putting in an effort, and KRjr hardly bothering anymore.

All in all he paints a picture of a dysfunctional organisation, the Suzuki management won't admit that they need to change their approach, and instead they are sticking to a concept which will never work.

Mmm, sounds a lot like the things KRjr has been complaining about for years.
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:49 AM   #13
waepoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Portuguese GP Results

Motorcycle Daily argues that BMW needs to join MotoGP because it is the only other motorcycle mfr that can match Honda's experience in F1 engine development. I don't necessarily agree, since Ducati doesn't seem to need such resources to be competitive from the ground floor, but it's an interesting thought.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 05:37 AM   #14
nokneedragin
Founding Member

The Aprilla 3 cyl was designed with F1 features (I do not remember who designed it) and its still not there yet. So I am not sure that F1 experience would give any inherent advantage.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 11:29 AM   #15
john
Founding Member

i believe the priller has cosworth input.......

true enough, F1 tech does not a GP bike make.

Old 09-10-2003, 04:16 PM   #16
Black_Adder
Founding Member

Default Re: Hayden needs a Ducati?

A recent post on this topic claimed Hayden would finish in the top five if he was on a Ducati. Is that person delirious? What a joke. Nicky's a great rider but the riders ahead of him in points are better...and that's why he's not finishing in the top five. Geez, some folks need to take off their Ducati-fogged glasses and realize that the Big Red D is not the ultimate answer to everyone's problems.