Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 05-10-2003, 09:45 AM   #1
Randy_P_Moran
Founding Member

Default Re: Spain, Final Qualifying Results:

Awesome! Ducati on pole and second in the third race of their long-in-coming return to GP. An incredible achievement--and another reason I will never, ever own a Harley Davidson.

Did you know that H-D abandoned their superbike effort only a few weeks after September 11, 2001? Way to show the world what you're made of, H-D!

Congratulations to Ducati--a company run by real men.
Randy_P_Moran is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2003, 10:19 AM   #2
The_People
Founding Member

You're a bit mis-guided (nice way of saying you're an idiot).

Ducati should be applauded for its' racing efforts, but chastising Harley for business decisions you know little about isn't fair.

The unfortunate demise of Harley's road racing efforts had, and this is just a common-sense guess, little to due with the tragic events of 9/11. Are you related to Oliver Stone, by chance?

And to argue which company is run better is rather pointless (but why not try). Harley seems to be run be real SMART men, as their market share and stock returns prove. As for Ducati, they've just shuffled managment in the US. So the question is, are these guys that just got the boot the "real men," or are the new guys the "real men?" Are the guys that run the race team the "real men?"

If you don't like Harley, fine. Many do, and that's their choice. And remember, never say never.

-The People
Old 05-10-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
merv
Founding Member

Default Re: Thpain, Final Qualifying Results:

Ducati are doing real well. How long is it since Rossi was on the second row? Your boy Hopper didn't do so bad either - if only he can carry though to the race for the whole distance. NIcky Hayden????? Looks like it will be an interesting race.

Cheers from NZ.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 01:01 PM   #4
layback
Founding Member

Ducati's.....Awesome!!...all , good to see Hopper up there too.
layback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 01:55 PM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

Who will reign in Spain, after a long ride in a plane? (Sorry)

Top 20, from Motorcyclenews.com

1) Capirossi 1:41.983. 2) Bayliss 1:41.993. 3) Biaggi 1:42.124. 4) Ukawa 1:42.258. 5) Rossi 1:42.276. 6) Gibernau 1:42.285. 7) Hopkins 1:42.579. Aoki 1:42.609. 9) Jacque 1:42.643. 10) Checa 1:42.711. 11) Edwards 1:42.761. 12) Tamada 1:42.827. 13) Nakano 1:42.906. 14) McWilliams 1:42.985. 15) Barros 1:42.988. 16) Melandri 1:43.020. 17) Roberts 1:43.026. 1 Haga 1:43.269. 19) Hayden 1:43.474. 20) Pitt 1:43.889. 21) Hofmann 1:44.702. 22) McCoy 1:44.945.

Should be a great race!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 01:59 PM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

BTW, the weather should be fine...

Partly Cloudy, 78°/56°, 0 % chance of wet.

(Courtesy of the Weather Channel)

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 04:56 PM   #7
johnnyb
Founding Member

Damn, you must be in the advertising business or something equally ridiculous, where all that matters is the bottom line. On revenues I can only guess the fraction of which H-D has brought in over the last decade or however long it's been, my hat is COMPLETELY OFF to the real men and women (hello Ludovica) at Ducati for putting not one but TWO bikes on the front row of the grid at the Spanish Freaking GP! Hooo...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 06:19 PM   #8
crazybike_37
Founding Member

Default Them Duc boys are some smart motha-

Mr. Burns, I must say I completely agree with you. It takes little more than greed, ambition, and extreme marketing savvy to accumulate hordes of mindless devotees like HD has, but it takes a racing legacy of lengendary proportions, an almost rabid passion for competition and something quite near a number of man-machine interface discernment geniuses to put together a machine and a team from scratch (relatively) that fast and get those kind of results.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:33 PM   #9
Randy_P_Moran
Founding Member

Default You miss my point, of course.

I'm not saying that H-D's decision to withdraw from superbike racing had anything to do with 9-11. I'm sure the decision had been taken long before, and had a little to do with the pathetic results their hapless and half-hearted effort had achieved. Mostly, I believe that H-D decided to stop racing because, as you point out, it wasn't making them any money. In my opinion, however, 9-11 should have *changed* their minds. It didn't because they are run by phillistines who worship, as you aparently do, the bottom line above all else--who don't see the importance of a difficult job well done, and who blithely abandon their position as standard bearer for the very Americans who support them in their ongoing marketing scam.

Pride. Thats all I want to see. Why is it that the Italians can build things better than we can? Why does it take them only three years to do something we've not yet done?

I'm guessing you own stock in Harley? Enjoy your money, loser. And if you don't own stock, what the f**k do you care about a bunch of rich ad men and their "business decisions?"
Randy_P_Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 08:27 PM   #10
The_People
Founding Member

Default Ummmm, not really.

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, all the benefits of a classical education gone to waste. `tis a shame really.

The People did not intend to get into any sort of Ducati vs. Harley debate, but some folks do get fired up over all sorts of silly things. Please note that my earlier post said, "Ducati should be applauded for its racing efforts." Did that slip by you guys?

Mr. Moran just said that Ducati had all the "real men" working for them (which really, is now a bit too much man-on-man talk for me). The People was just trying to point out that Harleys' guys were better business men.

Ducati has better R&D guys and a far greater commitment to racing than Harley (assuming Harley has any commitment to racing at all...). But Ducatis are based on racing (duh, just stating the obvious here for the dim ones) and without that to hang their hat on they'd just be an Italian Buell. Is The People a fan of Ducati? Damn straight, however Ducati is having problems selling bikes in the good ol US (hence the management change). With all the racing heritage and success why aren't folks lining up to buy these bikes? As a side note (not that any of you care) The People, if he had his druthers, would take an Aprilla over a Ducati (blasphemy!!) any day (took a Mille R for a quick spin the other day, thought it to be one terrific bike...).

Conversely, Harley has better management than Ducati (news flash???). And when did it get to be a bad thing, being successful? Each and every person here wants the best for themselves, their families and their businesses. The ability to have enough to provide the finer things (maybe like getting junior a shiny new motorcycle...).

As for Mr. Moran's comment about pride, do you really believe the guys down on Juneau Ave. don't have any pride? Puuuulease, that's ridiculous.

So as we all know and will agree Harley got its ass handed to them, took their ball and went home. Harley probably knew it was going to be the laughing stock for pulling out of racing, but guess what? Their core audience didn't, and still doesn't care about racing. Daytona is a prime example. Half a million motorcycle riders converge for a week every year and most probably don't even know that races are running (`cept of course for the dirt track, but I digress). Guess all the leather ass-less chaps' stores keeping them too occupied...

Say what you want about Harley, the riders, the machines, the marketing, the money -- it doesn't matter as The People would wager to guess that every other motorcycle manufacturer on the planet wishes they were as successful as Harley. Each wishing they had Harley's problem of being "too successful."

As for The People being a Harley-stock owning loser... My portfolio is as deverse as my garage.

-The People