Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 04-28-2003, 04:05 AM   #1
badsac
Founding Member

Default Re: South African GP Results

Bayliss did fantastic today and proved that he does have the pace to race with those guys. I'm sure he could have fought for the podium had his bike been handling better. It was quite obvious that the bike didn't have the front end grip, both going into the corners and more especially with it's understeering on the power coming out of turns, in comparison to the sorted Hondas he was racing with. But I especially enjoyed Rossi's and Baylisses dice. That one corner (I think it might have been the last right before the left onto the start-finish straight) where Rossi and Bayliss came out of it side by side with the bikes sideways and the front wheels pawing for the sky in perfect harmony will be an indicator of things to come. (Would have made a great phot if anyone way on the spot.)

But also congrats to Gibernau on the win. It was a fitting tribute for Kato like they said.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2003, 04:36 AM   #2
Grover
Founding Member

Default HEY MORons, REVISE THE HEADER!!!

I don't care because I saw the race on Sunday, but I guarantee someone will b!tch about the results being in the header.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:46 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: HEY MORons, REVISE THE HEADER!!!

If somebody had a *****, send em my way.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:34 AM   #4
sjriott
Founding Member

I'm impressed with Nicky Hayden. Tons of people were pissed that he was moved up to this class over Edwards. So far, two 7th place finishes and 6th in points shows he deserves to be on this bike. I really like Edwards as well but I think the promotion was justified.

John Hopkins is in his second year and Hayden is spanking him. Nobody *****ed when he was moved to this class.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:39 AM   #5
kman45
Founding Member

Nobody *****ed about Hopkins because he got drafted onto the least competative team, not so with Nick. But half the guys in the "he doesn't deserve that spot choir" are finishing behind him, so there.

Does anybody have a friggin clue as to what happened to Colin? Was it his fault or did his bike go mental or what?
kman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:26 AM   #6
Mashuri
Founding Member

I'll say it again: That screaming Ducati is the most exciting thing to happen to GP in a long time. Now that they've proven Suzuka wasn't a fluke, Honda has got to be scared of this motorcycle. Once they get the chassis sorted out Rossi won't simply be able to follow it through a corner and power by on the straights. They'll be doing it to him for once.
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:34 AM   #7
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default What Happened to Edwards

Phakisa tends to have a very dusty surface (due to wind and the surrounding arid countryside). The racing line gets cleaned by the bikes, but off the line, traction can be sketchy. Colin was lined up on a very dirty part of the track and spun his tire badly on the start, getting all squirrily. Oliver Jacque shot past him as he veered into Jacque's path. Jacque's bike hit his right bar, steering him hard right, into Hopper. Hopper kept it upright, but the clutch lever crushed into his hand and he finished in pain. McWilliams fork hit Colin's head, but did no damage, and Haga went down as well. Haga was able to restart, but was in serious pain from reinjuring himself after a Saturday qualifying crash.

There is a write up on all this at MotoGP.com and more at Crash.net.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:42 AM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

I am also a Nicky fan, but comparing his finishes to Hoppers' doesn't compute.

Nicky is teammate to the reigning World Champion on what is probably the best bike in the field and is finishing quite a ways back. Hopper is teamed with the 2000 World Champion on a bike that can barely beat the Kawasakis, and that can't beat the 2-stroke Protons. So far, Hopper has beat his former champion teammate 2 for 2.

Cheers

Bob
Old 04-28-2003, 10:48 AM   #9
rsheidler
Founding Member

Clearly, as long as his tires held up, Troy was the class of the field -- both in power and handling. Just awsome! With a bit more experience (both the team and the riders) on tire selection and management, and they will really shine. Neither Troy not Ducati had ever seen the track until Friday!

Bob
Old 04-28-2003, 07:13 PM   #10
DucButt
Founding Member

I take it this is your first year watching MotoGP? I take it you are unfamiliar with the superiority of the RC211V as well as the inferiority of the Suzuki? I am impressed with both riders, but I give the nod to Hopper at this juncture.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote