Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 04-09-2003, 03:46 AM   #21
reggler
Founding Member

Default Re: United States GP next year?

Too bad the WERA event isn't open for spectators. We'll have to wait until the fall for the AMA event.
reggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2003, 03:49 AM   #22
reggler
Founding Member

Before you slam the Barber track you should check out their site at www.Barbermuseum.org. They have some great pictures posted of the track facility.
reggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 04:24 AM   #23
FLSVRider
Founding Member

AL has no international recognition. The facility lacks enough garage space. It probably dosent have the proper facitlties and power requirements for all of the TV trucks. The roads in and out of the facility are not sufficient.

Laguna Seca is the obvious choice. Road Atlanta is a close second. Both already host world class events and have the infrastructure to support those events.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:27 AM   #24
FLSVRider
Founding Member

Homestead is terrible for any type of road racing.

It was designed from day one to be a oval track with a road course as an afterthought. I wont even bother going to the race if its at homestead, and I am only a 4 hour drive from there.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:39 AM   #25
nokneedragin
Founding Member

International recognition is the key word. FIM, Dorna, and whatever the other inbread organization that have their finger in the GP pie want, no demand, a huge turn out for the race.

I mean look at the races in Spain they pull in 200,000 spectators a race. That is why they will stick to the east coast, and an internationally recognised city. They want to pull in some Europeans to help fill in the stands.

If a GP does come to America and has less than 75,000 people they will consider it a failure.IMHO

nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 04:52 AM   #26
layback
Founding Member

Yeah, lets have the GP somewhere close to the East Coast, you West Coast people always get all the fun stuff!!
layback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:00 AM   #27
layback
Founding Member

Dude, The GP guys would never approve Watkins Glen, way too many guard rails close to the track, I know...I raced a motorcycle there back in the 80's ...I do like the track itself though, it was fast and fun, just wouldn't want to crash in some places cause you would end up being armco paste.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:03 AM   #28
layback
Founding Member

Road America too dangerous for the GP guys...
Old 04-09-2003, 05:42 AM   #29
rocketorM3
Founding Member

Default who cares as long as not AL? Arrogant pigs are you? yes!

Look, America is a great country. Every state has it's problems. If knocking AL gives you a false sense of superiority you have a fragile ego.

Barber is a great facility. It has a motorcycle museum also, maybe motorcycle fans don't enjoy such facilities? It has or is in the latter stages of FIM validation. AMA is racing there at the end of the year.

It is on the Atlanta side of Birmingham so if Euros insist they can fly into Atlanta which is one of the least desirable airports in the US IMHO.

I was thinking, the more road courses the better it dilutes the ovals and NASCAR fans. Besides ppl are getting rich off of NASCAR these days and Daimler is in the fray now and will produce rear wheel drive cars to boot! All these are founded by drivers such as the AL boys of NASCARs past. (I am not a NASCAR fan but most of america is now BTW)

Samuel

Madison AL
rocketorM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 06:15 AM   #30
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

What's dangerous about it? It has tons of runoff in the areas I've spectated in.